Polls and Polls and Polls

42 minutes ago, goose said:

I think it's more the full discography polls that are getting tedious.  With the bulk of those it seems to take seven rounds of eliminating albums few care about to get to the meat of most bands' discographies.

Yeah, the RPG are more thought provoking IMO. Like i said, it's all good. 

Back in the day, the moderator of MOTS tried to limit the number of fantasy band threads to no avail.  

I don't post daily but pretty much check in every day to see what's shaking.

FWIW, the best threads are about new bands. Not discussing the merits of geriatric rockers output. IMO

• Like 1

Rather than make a dedicated subforum for polls, how about if hi_water simply slowed down his pace a bit? Looks like he has 4-5 active polls going at once, all in various stages of progress. Maybe we don't need more than two active polls at a time, and maybe each round can be active for 3-4 days instead of two.

Hi_water, what do you think? We like these polls your doing, and we like the format you've come up with, but maybe too much of a good thing is too much. Slowing down would not only make these polls something people would forward too more, but you'd also probably get more votes per round, and you won't be bottom-feeding with bands like Air Supply and Chic by next month.

I like how Entre is doing his polls, he's letting them breathe between rounds.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Rather than make a dedicated subforum for polls, how about if hi_water simply slowed down his pace a bit? Looks like he has 4-5 active polls going at once, all in various stages of progress. Maybe we don't need more than two active polls at a time, and maybe each round can be active for 3-4 days instead of two.

Hi_water, what do you think? We like these polls your doing, and we like the format you've come up with, but maybe too much of a good thing is too much. Slowing down would not only make these polls something people would forward too more, but you'd also probably get more votes per round, and you won't be bottom-feeding with bands like Air Supply and Chic by next month.

Letting them breathe is an interesting way to write "he gets lazy about putting them together or totally forgets he started them a week later" :sarcasm::smash:

lol, but I'll try and slow my roll a bit to, even though I'm a perpetrator here, I do feel a bit bored by all the polls myself

13 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I never saw it as an issue because of these reasons here. If you don't like a band the poll is about then just scroll past it and post wherever else you want to. That's what I do in any section on this board if I have no interest in the topic. These polls aren't preventing anyone from posting in different threads. Bump something up if you want to talk about it.

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Am I the only one that finds it strange, with the exception of Mick, the people who are complaining about the polls being off-putting are members who haven't even been posting regularly in ages? Like even before the polls you guys weren't around that much.

Agree 100%. I feel sorry for hi water. Here we have a member trying to resuscitate a near-dead board by posting new stuff & people who don't offer much in the way of new threads complain.  Everyone's entitled to voice their opinion I know but this seems a bit off. I admit I'm not overly keen on tons of polls myself but I don't make an issue of it, like J2112YYZ points out, you can just scroll past.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Wow. Never heard Nile Rodgers and bernard Edward's called bottom feeders.

Two of the all time greats. If you do like those guys check out cory wong as he is cut from the same cloth. Funky.

• Like 1

I don't know about most people here, but I love the polls.

Obviously not everyone does, there's nothing we all agree on.

I don't think asking for a dedicated forum is the slight to Hi-Water or Entre people suggest.

If anything it's a mark of success. It's generated traffic and kept things moving around here. It takes a fair amount of work as well.

They do bury threads quickly though. A dedicated section solves that.

Now I know that 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 has just finished a ton of work and I don't know what creating a new forum entails, I imagine his compromise suggestion reflects the effort it would take.

The polls do more than simply create boxes to tic.

Most of them have generated a lot of music related discussion on the bands in question. Part of the problem is that there are only so many bands enough of us know well enough to actually keep that up.

I don't know about others, but I'm always looking for new music. Sometimes new music is actually old, and these polls have made me discover some new to me.

Edited by Mosher
Auto correct error
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Now you've done it.  You've called bands "bottom feeders."  Now we're going to hear how their most obscure albums are better than Sgt. Pepper's, Moving Pictures, Let it Bleed, Paranoid, IV, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tangy said:

Wow. Never heard Nile Rodgers and bernard Edward's called bottom feeders.

Two of the all time greats. If you do like those guys check out cory wong as he is cut from the same cloth. Funky.

Those guys are not bottom feeders. Nile Rodgers is a treasure and a genius. Maybe Chic was a bad example, and maybe "bottom feeders" was the wrong term to use, but what I'm saying is we'll start getting into bands that might not generate a lot of interest on this board a lot sooner than we need to.

I probably shouldn't have posted about this after a  very frustrating15-hour work day. My brain was mush after I got home. But my idea of compromise stands. I like hi-water's polls and I like that he's creating content that people are interested it. I too have revisited bands and albums because of the discussions in these polls. But if he slowed his pacing a little bit it would give more people time to join in and cast votes, and the polls wouldn't push as many of the other threads off the first two pages.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Those guys are not bottom feeders. Nile Rodgers is a treasure and a genius. Maybe Chic was a bad example, and maybe "bottom feeders" was the wrong term to use, but what I'm saying is we'll start getting into bands that might not generate a lot of interest on this board a lot sooner than we need to.

I probably shouldn't have posted about this after a  very frustrating15-hour work day. My brain was mush after I got home. But my idea of compromise stands. I like hi-water's polls and I like that he's creating content that people are interested it. I too have revisited bands and albums because of the discussions in these polls. But if he slowed his pacing a little bit it would give more people time to join in and cast votes, and the polls wouldn't push as many of the other threads off the first two pages.

I think your compromise is fine. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for all you do. 

And yeah, I was pretty sure you were aware of the enormous legacy of chic.

15 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

5 minutes ago, tangy said:

I think your compromise is fine. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for all you do. 

And yeah, I was pretty sure you were aware of the enormous legacy of chic.

I was going for a band that a lot of Rush fans might scoff at, and for some stupid reason Chic jumped into my head (again, brain mush), and I certainly shouldn't have lumped them in with f**king Air Supply. :blush4:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Now you've done it.  You've called bands "bottom feeders."  Now we're going to hear how their most obscure albums are better than Sgt. Pepper's, Moving Pictures, Let it Bleed, Paranoid, IV, etc.

I may have you confused with someone else but I thought you were a Duran Duran and power station fan? Surely you know the legacy of Nile and bernard?

I can't speak to the most obscure chic record but I do think they had more of an influence on modern music than rush  and black sabbath.  Probably the rolling stones too. Not better but a bigger influence.

1 minute ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I was going for a band that a lot of Rush fans might scoff at, and for some stupid reason Chic jumped into my head (again, brain mush), and I certainly shouldn't have lumped them in with f**king Air Supply. :blush4:

A lot of fans probably do.

I seem to recall a interview with Geddy where he said he admired Bernard's playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tangy said:

I may have you confused with someone else but I thought you were a Duran Duran and power station fan? Surely you know the legacy of Nile and bernard?

I can't speak to the most obscure chic record but I do think they had more of an influence on modern music than rush  and black sabbath.  Probably the rolling stones too. Not better but a bigger influence.

I love both those bands (D2 and PS) and I think both Rodgers and Edwards (RIP) were great.  Edwards was a huge part of the Power Station sound.  Just making a joke.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mosher said:

I don't know about most people here, but I love the polls.

Obviously not everyone does, there's nothing we all agree on.

I don't think asking for a dedicated forum is the slight to Hi-Water or Entre people suggest.

If anything it's a mark of success. It's generated traffic and kept things moving around here. It takes a fair amount of work as well.

They do bury threads quickly though. A dedicated section solves that.

Now I know that 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 has just finished a ton of work and I don't know what creating a new forum entails, I imagine his compromise suggestion reflects the effort it would take.

The polls do more than simply create boxes to tic.

Most of them have generated a lot of music related discussion on the bands in question. Part of the problem is that there are only so many bands enough of us know well enough to actually keep that up.

I don't know about others, but I'm always looking for new music. Sometimes new music is actually old, and these polls have made me discover some new to me.

:goodpost:

On 5/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, Rick N. Backer said:

I love both those bands (D2 and PS) and I think both Rodgers and Edwards (RIP) were great.  Edwards was a huge part of the Power Station sound.  Just making a joke.

Right on

And let's not forget Tony Thompson,  who was the drummer for Chic. Power station really had a killer sound. 

• Like 2

As the moderator of this forum I find the number of polls to be a bit excessive. But I also realize that activity and engagement within MoTS is very important and much needed on TRF. The only benefit I can see for creating a new sub forum is it would dramatically clean up the look of every other thread being a poll.

If the majority of new threads in MoTS are polls, moving them doesn't make much sense, because we absolutely want activity and engagement in the main forum.

Are there too many polls? Yes.

Should we do something about it? Probably not.

Do we need a poll to decide this? Are you f**king kidding me?! :dazed025:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, launchpad67a said:

As the moderator of this forum I find the number of polls to be a bit excessive. But I also realize that activity and engagement within MoTS is very important and much needed on TRF. The only benefit I can see for creating a new sub forum is it would dramatically clean up the look of every other thread being a poll.

If the majority of new threads in MoTS are polls, moving them doesn't make much sense, because we absolutely want activity and engagement in the main forum.

I agree with this, though I do still think that if hi_water just slowed his pace a little bit, his polls would remain popular but also not crowd out the non-poll threads

And as an added benefit, if the polls were open for longer than two days and spaced out a little bit more, they would also get more votes because there are people here who don't log in every single day and they'd have a better chance to participate. I look at the polls that Entre is making and there are a lot more votes being cast because they're not as time-limited. More participation is always a good thing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I agree with this, though I do still think that if hi_water just slowed his pace a little bit, his polls would remain popular but also not crowd out the non-poll threads

And as an added benefit, if the polls were open for longer than two days and spaced out a little bit more, they would also get more votes because there are people here who don't log in every single day and they'd have a better chance to participate. I look at the polls that Entre is making and there are a lot more votes being cast because they're not as time-limited. More participation is always a good thing.

They could also structure the first poll to eliminate several of the lesser liked/lower hanging fruit releases.  This would help cut down on the number of poll threads needed for an artist to determine a winner.  Every poll I've participated had about half of the artist's releases being eliminated early as a 'known outcome', everyone engaged already knew which albums were going to occupy the top three of four spots.

4 hours ago, tangy said:

Right on

And let's not forget Tony Thompson,  who was the drummer for Chic. Power station really had a killer sound. 

Nor forget neither Andy Taylor on guitar :musik19:

a Hard Rock loving :1022: guitarist better known for being in Duran Duran.

Check out his solo albums they kick ass 💥

• Like 2

4 hours ago, launchpad67a said:

*quickly checks my memory banks*

I have been a regular here for nearly 10 years and I cannot recall ever seeing a post from you before, so uh, hi! Nice to meet you! :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, launchpad67a said:

14 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

*quickly checks my memory banks*

I have been a regular here for nearly 10 years and I cannot recall ever seeing a post from you before, so uh, hi! Nice to meet you! :)

Launch doesn't post as often as he used to (over 4,200 posts) but he's always checking in. :cool:

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 7:06 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

HEY! WTH is wrong with Air Supply? Until you've made love out of nothing at all you've just not lived. :653:

• Like 1

Hey um, just gonna toss this out there. It looks like Hi Water hasn’t logged in since Friday around 3/4 pm, and this thread had been steadily picking up steam since it was originally posted Thursday night up to that point. 

I hope he comes back.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Thanks man, and I completely agree with this as well.

Edited by launchpad67a