Polls and Polls and Polls

As Random Samples has a containment subsection for spam/games/etc., should we maybe unclutter Music of the Spheres with its own subsection for polls? More than half the topics on the front page are all polls. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Union 5-3992 said:

As Random Samples has a containment subsection for spam/games/etc., should we maybe unclutter Music of the Spheres with its own subsection for polls? More than half the topics on the front page are all polls. 

Yeah, it's a bit much these days. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

You find that to be a serious issue for some reason?

It's annoying AF to be honest.

Not that I go to MOTS all that frequently, but if I did, I'd sure get tired of seeing HUNDREDS of polls with stuff like Blue Oyster Cult Elimination Round 7, Toto Elimination Round 9, on and on and on and on.  It's bad enough that the New Topics section is dominated by them, sometimes 4 out of the five are all polls.  Right now in MOTS, 21 of the 30 topics on the first page are polls (this does not include the pinned topics up top.)

Honestly, I am deeply ambivalent to these polls.  On the one hand, they are good because they get and keep members posting and coming back and being involved on a board for a band that has been inactive for 7 years, and will never record or tour again as that particular unit.  So that's good.

On the other hand, does every fvcking band ever need a poll on it's discography?  

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 2

i kinda stopped posting cause of it.   all these tournaments are just too much honestly i mean it's fine if their popular but i'll wait till that obsession dies off.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tangy said:

Yeah, it's a bit much these days. 

Maybe we should settle this democratically...with a poll.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Honestly, I am deeply ambivalent to these polls.  On the one hand, they are good because they get and keep members posting and coming back and being involved on a board for a band that has been inactive for 7 years, and will never record or tour again as that particular unit.  So that's good.

I never saw it as an issue because of these reasons here. If you don't like a band the poll is about then just scroll past it and post wherever else you want to. That's what I do in any section on this board if I have no interest in the topic. These polls aren't preventing anyone from posting in different threads. Bump something up if you want to talk about it.

• Like 2

A dedicated poll section would be fantastic.

I like some of the polls, but I also like order.

As polls are clearly a thing on their own, another subforum makes more sense. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Like the "feedback" subgroup 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mosher said:

exactly this

Well as someone who posts a lot of the polls in question, I had no idea people were so put off by them! I would gladly move all of my polling into a poll specific subform if that's what folks would prefer.

• Like 3

Am I the only one that finds it strange, with the exception of Mick, the people who are complaining about the polls being off-putting are members who haven't even been posting regularly in ages? Like even before the polls you guys weren't around that much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Am I the only one that finds it strange, with the exception of Mick, the people who are complaining about the polls being off-putting are members who haven't even been posting regularly in ages? Like even before the polls you guys weren't around that much.

I find it strange that you find it strange. Makes sense to me! 

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

I could never complain about polls because I've done a million polls myself, right from when I first arrived. :zalice:

Maybe we should do a poll on whether or not you make too many polls.

Seriously, though: Yes, you are known for making polls, but it is not the number of polls you make, but rather the number of options for which we can vote in any given poll you've made, that make you stand out.

• Like 2

Subsection would be nice, it's been out of control for a while but there isn't much else being discussed.  Could be there's not much new because the polls are dominating and driving everything (and everyone) into the other sections.

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well as someone who posts a lot of the polls in question, I had no idea people were so put off by them! I would gladly move all of my polling into a poll specific subform if that's what folks would prefer.

I think it's more the full discography polls that are getting tedious.  With the bulk of those it seems to take seven rounds of eliminating albums few care about to get to the meat of most bands' discographies.

• Like 3