Ace Side Projects

Mr. Not

What are some side projects / solo projects you find to be good as the musician's most renowned band? often times i find i don't really look into these sorts of projects by the musicians i enjoy unless i'm really obsessed, but in consequence i'm obviously missing out on a lot. 

I don't listen to david sylvian, and i still don't even know who he really is, but ghostworks introduced me to this album he did with robert fripp. i see it as a calmer, sort of sister album to King Crimson's "discipline/beat/three" 80's trilogy. the first several times i listened to this album i didn't even realize it was entirely live.

david_sylvian_robert_fripp_damage_reissu

• Like 1

Ian Thornley of Big Wreck has several solo albums under various 'Thornley' monikers.  He's done grunge and folk as a solo artist, so it's certainly adventurous but always within the "rock music" context.

Just some random examples.  The guy doesn't release B side caliber material, pretty much no stinkers between his solo and Big Wreck output.

Edited by stoopid

I like some of Sting's early solo music, but his output with the Police has held up better for me.  Same with Phil Collins, some good early albums then drifted too far into mainstream or adult contemporary for my tastes.

David Gilmour has made some very worthy albums. Rattle That Lock came out in 2015, I think. Good stuff. Also, On An Island, and the first solo album are great. Monster Magnet did an excellent cover of There's No Way Out Of Here.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, stoopid said:

I like some of Sting's early solo music, but his output with the Police has held up better for me.  Same with Phil Collins, some good early albums then drifted too far into mainstream or adult contemporary for my tastes.

What about Phil's playing with brand x? Great stuff