Judas Priest - Inducted!

treeduck

It's official: JUDAS PRIEST will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this year. PRIEST will receive the Musical Excellence Award at the event, which will honor Eminem, Dolly Parton, DURAN DURAN, Lionel Richie, Pat Benatar, EURYTHMICS and Carly Simon in the Performers category.

The award for Musical Excellence — which was originally titled the "Sidemen" category when it debuted — is given to artists, musicians, songwriters and producers whose originality and influence creating music have had a dramatic impact on music.

Back in 2010, when the Sidemen category was renamed the award for Musical Excellence, Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation president Joel Peresman told The Plain Dealer the category "gives us flexibility to dive into some things and recognize some people who might not ordinarily get recognized."

JUDAS PRIEST is the second band to receive the award for Musical Excellence; the E STREET BAND was the first. Last year, late OZZY OSBOURNE and QUIET RIOT guitarist Randy Rhoads was one of the recipients of the Musical Excellence Award.

According to the Hall Of Fame, the JUDAS PRIEST members that will get inducted include current members Rob Halford (vocals),Ian Hill (bass),Glenn Tipton (guitar) and Scott Travis (drums),along with former members K.K. Downing (guitar),Les Binks (drums) and late drummer Dave Holland.

"Wow, this is so exciting — at last. At last, you know?" Halford told Billboard after receiving the news before the public announcement. "And, glory hallelujah, there's another metal band in the Hall Of Fame! That's the blessing we've all been waiting for."

The induction ceremony will be held on November 5, 2022 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. It will air at a later date on HBO and stream on HBO Max. There will also be a radio simulcast on SiriusXM's Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Radio channel 310.

• Like 6

I'm glad, "Judas Priest", will be inducted into this year's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and receive the Musical Excellence Award.  They will be the only second band, and group to receive such an award behind "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band".  Congratulations, to them.  It's great to see "Pat Benatar", and "Duran Duran" included by being inducted into this year's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, too.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Yeah baby! Just saw this and thought of you immediately! :1022:  Congratulations to Priest! Nice they will have KK with them.

Hopefully the reunion plans will lead to KK joining the band full time once again!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Hopefully the reunion plans will lead to KK joining the band full time once again!

Yeah ..... perhaps all the mud-slinging can stop and they could maybe team up again.

If Glenn Tipton's condition gets worse, (which sadly, is probably likely) it would be interesting to see how KK would sound teaming up with Ritchie Faulkner.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Yeah ..... perhaps all the mud-slinging can stop and they could maybe team up again.

If Glenn Tipton's condition gets worse, (which sadly, is probably likely) it would be interesting to see how KK would sound teaming up with Ritchie Faulkner.

Aye!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, _hi_water._ said:

Eminem got in before Iron Maiden.

I mean, it’s not like Em doesn’t deserve to get in, so long as they’re going to keep putting in hip hop artists. He’s one of the greats of the genre.  

Reading the fine print… Judas Priest we’re inducted on the grounds of musical excellence, which sounds nifty but is technically just the rebranded “sidemen” category. Only one other band has gotten in via that category, that band being The E Street Band. What this tells me is Priest are in but in a way they’re not *really* in. They’re not in the same way Rush and Kiss and Black Sabbath are. Even when they manage to induct a pioneering metal artist not named Black Sabbath or Metallica… they still manage to screw it up. Judas Priest are a real band, not a novelty or a footnote only worthy of being in on grounds of their musical excellence. They have been highly influential, and they’ve had incredible longevity. Make them a regular inductee, not this “music excellence” doublespeak. 

And is the only reason Richie isn’t being inducted as a member because he hasn’t been in the band for 25 years? I think the committee never listened to the last two albums. They probably never got past Painkiller tbh.

Side note, none of that is to imply the E Street Band don’t deserve to be in. Frankly unless the category is actually going to be called the “sidemen” category, there’s no reason to have it.  If it’s going to be the “musical excellence” category, then reserve it for the super flashy technical artists like Dream Theater and Malmsteem and Holdsworth and ELP, and let Priest and the E Street Band just be regular inductees. Frankly I think that sounds like a bad idea too. Best to just induct bands or not induct them, none of this alternate category nonsense.

Priest should still treat this as a snub. They're going in like they're Crazy Horse and not a true originator of an entire genre themselves. They easily could have taken the place another act was given. While I think Eminem is a hall of fame worthy artist, he isn't rock and roll. Dolly Parton even explicitly asked that they not nominate her and they still did it anyways. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _hi_water._ said:

Eminem is a household name. Has had a greater impact on music and pop culture as a whole. Plus, he has sold a shit ton more albums and singles than Maiden. Why shouldn't he get in before them? This isn't about who came first. Very few people don't know who Eminem is. Someone who doesn't know shit about hip hop knows who Eminem is. You think anyone outside of the rock/metal world know who Dickinson and Harris are? Nope.

Yes, Maiden should be in before him but Eminem is far too big of a name to not be put in right away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Priest should still treat this as a snub. They're going in like they're Crazy Horse and not a true originator of an entire genre themselves. They easily could have taken the place another act was given. While I think Eminem is a hall of fame worthy artist, he isn't rock and roll. Dolly Parton even explicitly asked that they not nominate her and they still did it anyways. 

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's nice to see Priest get the participation award 🙄

Glad I'm not the only one who sees what the Rock Hall is pulling here.  Just another bullet point on my list of reasons why the Rock Hall sucks.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Kinda like an Honorable Mention award. Kinda like saying "The '65 Mustang was an OK car for its time, I guess."

• Like 2

Also just looked at the actual list of inductees and... I agree with only Pat Benatar and Eminem (assuming we have to have one hip hop artist). Carly Simon? Lionel Richie? Dolly Parton? (who I guess recently said she would accept the award after having read more about how the Rock Hall isn't really just for rock artists, though she still sounded a bit uncomfortable with the idea that she might take the spot from someone else more deserving) We could've had Kate Bush, Rage Against The Machine, and Beck! Not to mention the MC5 and New York Dolls, who deserve to be in on influence alone. I'm not saying Carly, Lionel, and Dolly aren't great. They are. But we've come to exactly what Dolly was afraid might happen if she accepted: not particularly rock and roll artists taking the spots that other nominees probably deserve.  I also feel like The Eurythmics and Duran Duran just aren't particularly deserving, but I've never really delved into their catalogues so I can't really say.  They have some good songs, just not sure about the whole "longevity and influence" thing that the Rock Hall claims matters.  Take one of them out and give Priest a real spot, and let them perform.

But I disagree with the whole idea of just inducting a handful of people on an annual basis in the first place for a hall of fame like this.  Everyone knows who deserves to be in. Just say they're all in and scrap the phony award show.  Put the money you spend on that back into the rock community, or maybe hold an annual RRHOF music festival instead.  That would be an event worth seeing.  It could be an interesting way for newer and older rock artists to share stages and audiences and more people to get interested in picking up the torch.  Rock isn't about dressing up in suits and giving acceptance speeches. It's about rocking out!!! 

I don't think the Rock Hall will ever get my respect.  Maybe they will come close if they induct like, Fugazi, or someone else like that.

2 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Also just looked at the actual list of inductees and... I agree with only Pat Benatar and Eminem (assuming we have to have one hip hop artist). Carly Simon? Lionel Richie? Dolly Parton? (who I guess recently said she would accept the award after having read more about how the Rock Hall isn't really just for rock artists, though she still sounded a bit uncomfortable with the idea that she might take the spot from someone else more deserving) We could've had Kate Bush, Rage Against The Machine, and Beck! Not to mention the MC5 and New York Dolls, who deserve to be in on influence alone. I'm not saying Carly, Lionel, and Dolly aren't great. They are. But we've come to exactly what Dolly was afraid might happen if she accepted: not particularly rock and roll artists taking the spots that other nominees probably deserve.  I also feel like The Eurythmics and Duran Duran just aren't particularly deserving, but I've never really delved into their catalogues so I can't really say.  They have some good songs, just not sure about the whole "longevity and influence" thing that the Rock Hall claims matters.  Take one of them out and give Priest a real spot, and let them perform.

But I disagree with the whole idea of just inducting a handful of people on an annual basis in the first place for a hall of fame like this.  Everyone knows who deserves to be in. Just say they're all in and scrap the phony award show.  Put the money you spend on that back into the rock community, or maybe hold an annual RRHOF music festival instead.  That would be an event worth seeing.  It could be an interesting way for newer and older rock artists to share stages and audiences and more people to get interested in picking up the torch.  Rock isn't about dressing up in suits and giving acceptance speeches. It's about rocking out!!! 

I don't think the Rock Hall will ever get my respect.  Maybe they will come close if they induct like, Fugazi, or someone else like that.

You think Carly Simon and Lionel Richie shouldn't get in because they're not rock n roll, yet you're fine with Beck? What is rock n roll about Beck? Doesn't he just take a bunch of random sounds, mash them together and call it a song?

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

You think Carly Simon and Lionel Richie shouldn't get in because they're not rock n roll, yet you're fine with Beck? What is rock n roll about Beck? Doesn't he just take a bunch of random sounds, mash them together and call it a song?

Beck’s an oddball for sure but genre bending and mashing was pretty common in his era. There’s enough rock and roll in the mix that it reads as alternative to me. I’d put in Alanis Morissette too.  I mean it’s not like there’s not precedent for rnb musicians and singer songwriters getting in.  I just think those two haven’t had as much of an impact on rock and roll as Beck or Kate Bush.  I’m also biased towards weirder stuff anyway.  Maybe I’m just showing my bias.  Like I said earlier, the whole idea of nominations and annual inductions doesn’t make any sense anyway. We all know who deserves to be commemorated in their museum, and it’s a lot more people than they’ve currently got in there.  They should just get rids of the awards show and make a proper event that celebrates the history and legacy of rock’s icons.

8 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Beck’s an oddball for sure but genre bending and mashing was pretty common in his era. There’s enough rock and roll in the mix that it reads as alternative to me. I’d put in Alanis Morissette too.  I mean it’s not like there’s not precedent for rnb musicians and singer songwriters getting in.  I just think those two haven’t had as much of an impact on rock and roll as Beck or Kate Bush.  I’m also biased towards weirder stuff anyway.  Maybe I’m just showing my bias.  Like I said earlier, the whole idea of nominations and annual inductions doesn’t make any sense anyway. We all know who deserves to be commemorated in their museum, and it’s a lot more people than they’ve currently got in there.  They should just get rids of the awards show and make a proper event that celebrates the history and legacy of rock’s icons.

What was Kate Bush's impact on rock n roll exactly? Running Up That Hill is the only song from her that did anything in the US. What else has she done? When was she ever relevant to rock music?

Yes, Alanis Morrisette should be in the hall for the impact Jagged Little Pull had on the music world. Both rock and pop stations played the hell out of those singles. She accomplished way more with that one album than Kate Bush did in her whole career.

48 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

What was Kate Bush's impact on rock n roll exactly? Running Up That Hill is the only song from her that did anything in the US. What else has she done? When was she ever relevant to rock music?

Yes, Alanis Morrisette should be in the hall for the impact Jagged Little Pull had on the music world. Both rock and pop stations played the hell out of those singles. She accomplished way more with that one album than Kate Bush did in her whole career.

Kate Bush paved a lot of uncharted territories for experimental rock and pop artists.  That she managed a few hits while doing so is really besides my point.  I'm not terribly knowledgable on her myself, but iirc Segue is a fan? I'm sure he can tell you a bit more about her commercial impact, I think she was bigger over there anyway.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:55 PM, _hi_water._ said:

ugh.