Dire Straits: Albums Elimination (Round 3)

Dire Straits: Albums Elimination (Round 3)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. You have chosen to immunize...

• Dire Straits (1978)
    • Making Movies (1980)
    • Love Over Gold (1982)
    • Brothers In Arms (1985)
  2. 2. You have chosen to eliminate...

• Dire Straits (1978)
    • Making Movies (1980)
    • Love Over Gold (1982)
    • Brothers In Arms (1985)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/22 at 09:00 AM

Hmmm tricky - personally I don't think there's much between these. Certainly Brothers in Arms isn't the 'best' just because it had a couple of hits. 

2 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Hmmm tricky - personally I don't think there's much between these. Certainly Brothers in Arms isn't the 'best' just because it had a couple of hits. 

"A couple of hits" is a bit of an understatement. For good or bad it was an era defining album.

• Like 1

Brothers in Arms does contain one of their worst songs, which is of course Walk of Life (although Twisting by the Pool is close). Maybe I over-heard it as a kid (meaning too much, not like overheard in the background noise sense), but I don`t hate Money For Nothing and that was everywhere, visually and audibly.  

Edited by IbanezJem

I'm amazed that their debut, their very best album in fact, is losing this poll.

Love Over Gold is their second best, so it's good to see it doing well.

Brothers is actually 3rd.

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

"A couple of hits" is a bit of an understatement. For good or bad it was an era defining album.

I'm just trying to say that, for me, the quality of the songs is not much different from the other albums. I'm just trying not to be swayed by the fact that it was the most successful album (I believe). There very different albums, music-wise, for me actually which is another reason I'm finding it hard to pick. And typically a deeper cut (Your Latest Trick) is one of my faves from BIAs over, say, Money for Nothing which is fun, was successful but not really my favourite from that album. Love the title track though. 

I mean all these albums have great stuff - Down by the Waterline, In the Gallery, Telegraph Road, Romeo and Juliet, Private investigations, Solid Rock, Tunnel of Love. 

Dire Knopfl.. I mean Dire Straits just had a good run up to and including BIA for my money (for nothing). Including Communique.

Was never that impressed by On Every Street. Must give it another listen some time. 

Edited by Malignant Narcissist

I chose to eliminate Brothers In Arms - they were just a commercial juggernaut by this stage - now a middle of the road sound.

• Like 1

IMO, the middle three albums are the strongest beginning to end, so adios to the debut.  With apologies to Sultan & Water of Love.

11 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Yep. 

So Far Away, Money For Nothing, Walk of Life, Brothers in Arms and Latest Trick were all successful singles. The album was one of the first to be digitally recorded, one of the first to be released in CD format, and was noted for its remarkable sound quality.   It ultimately sold 30 million copies worldwide.

• Like 1

My top two are Making Movies and Love Over Gold.  Making Movies probably gets the nod for the stellar A side with Tunnel of Love, Romeo and Juliet, and Skateaway, and the overall less refined sound.

• Like 1

For me it's always Love Over Gold. But Making Movies...close second. And I do love Dire Straits, Down by the Waterline in particular.

And Brothers in Arms title track is perfection, too.