La Villa featured on Cubs broadcast...

laughedatbytime

The organist in Atlanta played a bit of the song in the top of the fourth, when Cub infielder Jonathan Villar came to the plate.  Jim Deshaies, the color guy was wondering what it was, then the broadcasters went silent while it played, then Boog Sciambi, the play by play announcer, said it apparently was a song by Rush.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fridge said:

Why the f**k would you have an organist at a sports game?

North American leagues had organ players way back in the day when teams were not allowed to play original music over the PA system. When that changed, they decided to stick with the tradition of having organists. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

Why the f**k would you have an organist at a sports game?

Because organists are cool!  

Sincerely,

Keith Emerson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

North American leagues had organ players way back in the day when teams were not allowed to play original music over the PA system. When that changed, they decided to stick with the tradition of having organists. 

I really miss the hockey organists, but then again I miss the old barns over the cookie cutter "entertainment" complexes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ytserush said:

I really miss the hockey organists, but then again I miss the old barns over the cookie cutter "entertainment" complexes.

You can still hear the organ being used during hockey games, just not that often. Back in the 80s, at the old Chicago Stadium, I was always waiting for the Star Trek theme music.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, blackhawkrush said:

You can still hear the organ being used during hockey games, just not that often. Back in the 80s, at the old Chicago Stadium, I was always waiting for the Star Trek theme music.

Not sure how many of those are real organs. The Stadium organ was one of the classics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ytserush said:

Not sure how many of those are real organs. The Stadium organ was one of the classics.

The one in Nashville has to be the real article. Today, during a break in the action, the organist went into 'Subdivisions' and then had to improvise for a minute or two because the linesman wouldn't drop the puck. 

• Like 2