Kanye West hasn't been paying his Fripp bill lately.

https://www.wearethepit.com/2022/04/kanye-west-label-is-being-sued-over-use-of-king-crimson-sample/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=042722-newsletter&utm_campaign=042722-newsletter&eml=2022April27/5684017/6424942&etsubid=127481390

Here's the crux. Back in 2010 Kanye sampled the chorus of 21CSM by King Crimson for his hit single, Power. He initially didn't ask permission.  DGM and Fripp sat down and worked out a deal with him where they would get a cut of the royalties (it is a very blatant sample, it's nearly the chorus of Kanye's song, and imo the best part). Well apparently Kanye--or his record label, or his accountants, or whoever is in charge of his income--has been slacking off on paying those royalties for years, and I think also not abiding by the rules of their contract regarding streaming. So at long last, Fripp has sued, and he's got the same lawyer that just won defending Ed Sheehan against a copyright claim from Marvin Gaye's estate.  I know Kanye "has all that power," but Fripp already basically speaks in legalese and is one of the most sharp witted, astute artists in the business side of music.  Time for Mr. West to pay up I'd say.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Kanye doesn't care about prog people.

Perhaps, but he should care when they show up with lawyers!

• Like 3