29 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

2. 2. Choose one

• Iron Maiden
    • Rolling Stones
    • no choice
  3. 3. Choose one

4. 4. Choose one

Folks our top 8 has been decided! And they can all be in the same thread now that you can ask more than 3 poll questions in a single thread! Am I the first one to use this new feature or has _hi_water_ done it yet? Anyway here are the remaining results that I haven't announced yet:

Poll 19:

Aerosmith - 8

Iron Maiden - 13

Iron Maiden advances

Poll 20:

Metallica - 7

Rolling Stones - 15

Rolling Stones advance

Poll 21:

The Beatles - 16

The Police - 5

The Beatles advance

Poll 22:

Led Zeppelin - 16

Genesis - 3

Led Zeppelin advances

Poll 23:

Queen - 13

ZZ Top - 6

Queen advances

Poll 24:

Blue Öyster Cult - 3

Black Sabbath - 14

Black Sabbath advances

Those winners, along with Pink Floyd and Steely Dan, comprise our top 8, and you can see their matchups in the poll above!   I'm currently 6/8 on my own predictions. I had thought Styx would beat out Steely Dan in the first round and continue up to this tier. And I thought Van Halen might beat the Rolling Stones in the first round and also continue up to the top 4!

I am convinced this will be the round my beloved Queen say adieu. And I don't think it will be close.

I also know from a poll series a long time ago that Zeppelin is probably the second most popular band on this forum, yet some part of me still questions whether they can actually beat The Beatles here. 

Pink - Got into Steely in 2014 but Momentary is one of the first albums I ever owned and DSOTM is the first really old classic rock album I got around 1999 outside of the usual alt rock I was into so it's a personal one for me.
Iron - Had some bumps but never truly sold out like Mick.

Beatles - Close one, though.

Queen - Not perfect but even their worst is better than most non Dio/Ozzy Sabbath.

17 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Pink - Got into Steely in 2014 but Momentary is one of the first albums I ever owned and DSOTM is the first really old classic rock album I got around 1999 outside of the usual alt rock I was into so it's a personal one for me.
Iron - Had some bumps but never truly sold out like Mick.

Beatles - Close one, though.

Queen - Not perfect but even their worst is better than most non Dio/Ozzy Sabbath.

What do you mean by "never truly sold out like Mick?"

3 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

He basically turned them into a poppier band like Tyler with Aerosmith.

The Stones were always a pop act. Where do you think they became poppier? They have always been The Rolling Stones to me. I can see the argument with Aerosmith. I don't see it with The Stones.

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

The Stones were always a pop act. Where do you think they became poppier? They have always been The Rolling Stones to me. I can see the argument with Aerosmith. I don't see it with The Stones.

I kinda see it the other way around, lol. Sure they had pop hits but I can't throw on a single Stones record without thinking to myself, "this is some classic rock and roll." 

• Like 1

Woah! Maiden is beating the Stones? Not what I predicted, thought there were more Stones fans on here (though Maiden is, of course, much more similar to Rush). And... The Beatles are toppling Zeppelin! It's not even close! Wow! That's highly unusual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Woah! Maiden is beating the Stones? Not what I predicted, thought there were more Stones fans on here (though Maiden is, of course, much more similar to Rush). And... The Beatles are toppling Zeppelin! It's not even close! Wow! That's highly unusual.

Iron Maiden over the Stationary Stones is understandable to me but the Beatles over Zeppelin is almost beyond belief. I don't even like LZ all that much but I'd listen to them all day over the Beatles.

Edited by BastillePark
because
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

Iron Maiden over the Stationary Stones is understandable to me but the Beatles over Zeppelin is almost beyond belief. I don't even like LZ all that much but I'd listen to them all day over the Beatles.

I'm just saying the results are surprising given what I thought I knew about the user base here. The Stones are almost universally liked around here whereas Maiden I'm not sure is necessarily up everyone's alley. Meanwhile we had a poll series some years ago to determine TRF's all time favorite band that isn't Rush, and Zeppelin won very easily. I do believe The Beatles were contestants, so I'm surprised to see the tide has shifted so much!

Ah but even as I post that I look up and see LZ have made up a lot of ground. Still loosing somehow, but only by a single vote. That one is still anyone's game. Queen also looks to stand a chance against Sabbath, though they are loosing as well. And The Stones have recovered some ground as well. The only one that stands no chance of swinging is Floyd vs. Dan. More people have voted not to decide on that one than to vote for Dan. Ouch, lol.

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin is a final, not a quarterfinal! Boo!

I went with Zeppelin, but I feel vaguely dirty -- a lot like Zeppelin, actually.

:biggrin::biggrin:

• Like 1

Now The Stones and Zeppelin have pulled ahead, and Sabbath gained extra ground on my Queenies. Looks like things are shaping up just how I predicted.

On 4/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I kinda see it the other way around, lol. Sure they had pop hits but I can't throw on a single Stones record without thinking to myself, "this is some classic rock and roll." 

Growing up with The Stones I never thought of them as a pop act, never.   Back in the 60's I thought of bands like the Dave Clark Five, Paul Revere, etc. pop bands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, custom55 said:

Growing up with The Stones I never thought of them as a pop act, never.   Back in the 60's I thought of bands like the Dave Clark Five, Paul Revere, etc. pop bands.

Maybe saying they are a pop act wasn't the correct wording. They are obviously a rock band but they have always been popular. I just find it odd that someone would accuse Jagger of making the band more poppier when the band has always been extremely popular from the start.

I still want to know when he thinks Mick started doing that with them since I don't hear it at all. But he still hasn't answered me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, custom55 said:

Agreed!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, Nova Carmina said:

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin is a final, not a quarterfinal! Boo!

I went with Zeppelin, but I feel vaguely dirty -- a lot like Zeppelin, actually.

I wouldn't. The Beatles are overrated. McCartney solo has better music imo.

• Like 2

the one thing this series taught me about this board, which i'm surprised about, is that more people here are privy to classic rock rather than prog rock. i guess rush sits the fence between the two pretty well, they're arguably one of the most accessible prog rock bands when it comes down to it. but i'd take king crimson, yes, genesis, etc over any of the bands listed here. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

the one thing this series taught me about this board, which i'm surprised about, is that more people here are privy to classic rock rather than prog rock. i guess rush sits the fence between the two pretty well, they're arguably one of the most accessible prog rock bands when it comes down to it. but i'd take king crimson, yes, genesis, etc over any of the bands listed here. 

Truth.

Looks like Maiden & Zep going through 

so all good 👍😎:1022::yes:

EP … is now just waiting for Queen to overtake the Sabbs LOL ! :yes::653: