Exit... Stage Left - Ultimate Edition?

Tim Sawyer

Hi All.

Like many of you on here I've always enjoyed ESL (it was actually the album that first got me into Rush within the first 5 seconds of playing it), but was irritated by its various failings (too short, tracks in wrong order, fades between songs, etc.).

Anyway, the recent PW and MP reissues have finally given us the chance to recreate ESL as I think it should have been released originally, including removing the annoying fades, adding back Geddy's song intros and most importantly expanding it to a decent length.

I have now put together my own version of ESL, which for me is now the definitive version. Although the Toronto live set is great in its own right, I think there is space for both this and ESL in order to showcase ESL as a "best of two tours" compilation. Although it is almost all from officially released material (and for authenticity I have used ESL CD and video versions of tracks where available), I have slightly cheated by using part of the St. Louis show from 1980 in the end medley (and BTW I think the transition works really well!).

The tracklist I have used (with sources for anyone who is interested in making their own) is as follows:

1. 2112 Overture (from Edmonton '81 on 2112 Deluxe edition);

2. Temples of Syrinx (from Edmonton '81 on 2112 Deluxe edition);

3. Freewill (from ESL);

4. Limelight (from ESL DVD, with intro from MP40);

5. A Passage to Bangkok (from ESL, with intro from Manchester 1980 from PW40);

6. Jacob's Ladder (from ESL);

7. The Camera Eye (from MP40);

8. YYZ (from ESL, with intro from MP40);

9. Broon's Bane (from ESL);

10. The Trees (from ESL);

11. Xanadu (from ESL);

12. The Spirit of Radio (from ESL);

13. Red Barchetta (from ESL);

14. Cygnus X-1 Book I (from PW40);

15. Cygnus X-1 Book II (from PW40);

16. Closer to the Heart (from ESL);

17. Beneath, Between & Behind (from ESL);

18. Tom Sawyer (from ESL, with intro from MP40);

19. Vital Signs (from New World Man B-side);

20. Natural Science (from MP40);

21. Medley: Working Man/Finding My Way/Anthem/Bastille Day/By-Tor & The Snow Dog/In The End/In The Mood/2112 Grand Finale (WM to BD from St Louis '80, BT to GF from ESL DVD;

22. La Villa Strangiato (from ESL).

The whole show runs for just over 2.5 hours and fits perfectly onto 2 CDs for whose who still use them (split after Red Barchetta).

Let me know what you think...

• Like 2

I like this idea. Someone did something similar for the Permanent Waves Tour after the 40th anniversary edition was released. Since we didn’t get a full show with that reissue they combined the nearly released  tracks with the Kiel Auditorium show and maybe a few others I don’t recall. Will you be sharing your custom version at all?