Guitars and Moisture

The Analog Cub

I just moved into a new house (my first!) Most of the basement is finished, with the exception of a storage area and an unfinished bedroom space with an egress window. I decided the unfinished room was going to be my guitar room, so I've moved everything down there (5 electrics, one 12-string acoustic, amp head/cabinet, smaller amp, and a bunch of pedals and cables) and have an area rug over the concrete floor.

I'm learning the joys of homeownership and I'm starting to have concerns that over time this might not be the best environment for this stuff, since Iowa weather can get humid as hell in the summer, and have really cold and dry spells in the winter. Anybody have any opinions on this? Will they be okay, should I consider upping my electric bill with a dehumidifier, etc.

I read somewhere along the lines of "if you're comfortable in the room, they should be fine too" but I could definitely use more opinions from other homeowners with guitars

Edited by The Analog Cub

I am absolutely not a guitar expert, but as a long time instrumentalist, I will say environmental variables can have a larger effect on your instrument than you expect. It sounds like you have a pretty nice collection.

I`ve always been keen on having them on the wall, because (probably erroneously) I think this allows a bit more air flow around the instrument - and beautiful guitars are pretty enough to display as pieces of art. Can`t hurt to get a cheap hygrometer or something that will let you know if you need a dehumidifier.

A stable environment is of utmost importance to your guitars and speaker cabs.  Try to keep your home's relative humidity at ~50%.

As a guy who also lives in a northern clime, I tell you from personal experience to not let your guitar space get too cool and dry.  After a particularly cold winter, I removed an old Charvel from the case to play, and . . . "What the . . . why this string/fret buzzing?!"  A quick look showed a fingerboard which had separated from the neck at the nut.  Unhappiness.  A warmer, less dry space would have prevented this.

As you've got a basement, keep that sump pump happy (assuming one is installed).  Seriously entertain the idea of a battery backup for it, and perhaps a backup pump.  There's always the chance if your area is experiencing severe flooding, a power outage may also be involved.  No power, no pumping, wet basement.

Here's a good article on guitars and wood happiness: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/the-ideal-humidity-for-guitar/

Speaking of Sweetwater . . . the Mesa Boogie guys are finicky (and they're not the only ones) about the environment in which their product is warehoused.  I've heard when a rep pops in there, they check on the temp/humidity of the facility. 

Edited by dream & vapour