The Warning

On 11/1/2022 at 9:10 AM, J2112YYZ said:

Here's a nice interview with Ale. You can turn English subtitles on. She proves here that she is capable of saying more than two words in a row when Dany and Pau aren't around 😄

Shocking to hear her say so much.  Seemed a bit nervous but thats not a shock given that she is by nature a bit of an introvert.  My jaw dropped when she was talking about Kool-Aid Kids and she mentioned letting the song breathe.  I was like "OMG!!  This is exactly what I said on TRF!!  They get it - almost nobody else seems to get it.  So few bands really let songs breathe and here she is talking about it."  If I had been impressed b4 that made me even more impressed by them.  I liked the question she was asked about what show they had done she had enjoyed the most.  I would agree with the 2 Mexico City shows (at least from the current tour) and the Foo Fighters show as being some of their very best.   Watching her interview and the one I just posted with Pao gives a very interesting view into the bands creative process.  Thanks for posting this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I believe a click track is something that plays in a musicians in ear monitor that helps them to stay on time properly during the song. You know how before a song is played live we used to always hear the drummer hit the hi-hat a few times before a song would start? They are counting off the tempo of the song before the song starts. With click tracks the drummer doesn't need to do that because that tells the tempo of the song. I'm not a musician though so I can be way off here. I'm just going by stuff I've heard and read about click tracks.

Thanks - between you and Pao I have learned something.  She actually plays the click track she has to listen to over the sound system at one point in the presentation.

Now I just need to go back and watch the other interview you posted with Alice Copers guitarist.

BTW - I have taken another listen to the new album and man, what an album.  Yes, I can be hard on a few things here and there (comes naturally to me) but wow.  There is so much going on.  Time signature changes, little punk rock elements (not a fan of punk rock but its enjoyable as they use it), all kinds of stuff.  Call me more and more impressed by it.  Believe it or not though, I still like QOTMS more.  But what an album.  The song Money is (sort of) an updated Big Money from Rush.  Well, as a Rush fan I like to think of it that way.  Just wow.

Also went back to XXI Century Blood and listened to that again and I am more and more impressed by that album.  Hard to say there is even a so -so song there.  Much less a bad song.  Even the songs that might be so - so have some interesting things going on.

If they come to upstate NY again on tour I will have to see them.  Plus, once I live near Albany I can take Amtrack to NYC to see them.  

So very nice to find a really interesting group.  My teen years were in the 80's and basically every weekend I would be purchasing a couple albums.  Then about 1993 the rock scene just died.  I went years at a time without getting new music.  Just boots and live albums and old albums.  Picked up a lot of classical and opera during the last 30 years.  So nice to find a group (besides the awesome Nightwish) that I can really, consistently enjoy.  

• Like 1

Don't know of you saw this or not but its another interview with the entire band.  Not a great interview.  As per the norm, Ale is mostly silent.  They had played a show the night b4 so Dany's voice was shot.  The interesting this is about 8:30 into the video they play Money with Pao singing lead vocals on it.  My jaw dropped when I heard it.  Very impressive IMO.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:02 PM, J2112YYZ said:

The Charismatic Voice will be reacting to The Warning tomorrow 😲

Interesting review - sort of wish she had not stopped playing the song and just let it go like Prog Dog did.  I have attached so you can compare reviews.  He has done several other reviews of The Warning - most of which are interesting.

25 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Interesting review - sort of wish she had not stopped playing the song and just let it go like Prog Dog did.  I have attached so you can compare reviews.  He has done several other reviews of The Warning - most of which are interesting.

That's always what she does though. She's a professional opera singer and offers good analysis. That's why I don't mind her pausing like that. She has over a million subscribers, that's why it is a big deal she did a reaction to them. Prog Dog has 34k subscribers, so he can get away with not pausing since he's lower tier with those numbers.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

That's always what she does though. She's a professional opera singer and offers good analysis. That's why I don't mind her pausing like that. She has over a million subscribers, that's why it is a big deal she did a reaction to them.

Wow - that I did not pick up on.  Your right - its a big deal (and good publicity).  I keep feeling like its 1975 or early 1976 and I am into Rush (I was only 10 in 1976 and my household had only 1 radio which stayed on classical so my rock exposure was very limited until high school so I did not hear of Rush in 1976).  Not enough people know about them and I keep telling people about them...

Thats what I have been doing in my office (and even my dentist when I went there recently), telling them about The Warning.  

The 2 reviews are an interesting contrast though.  She went more for the vocals, he went more for the music.

6 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Wow - that I did not pick up on.  Your right - its a big deal (and good publicity).  I keep feeling like its 1975 or early 1976 and I am into Rush (I was only 10 in 1976 and my household had only 1 radio which stayed on classical so my rock exposure was very limited until high school so I did not hear of Rush in 1976).  Not enough people know about them and I keep telling people about them...

Thats what I have been doing in my office (and even my dentist when I went there recently), telling them about The Warning.  

The 2 reviews are an interesting contrast though.  She went more for the vocals, he went more for the music.

Wow, even I haven't gone that far with telling people about The Warning lol. I've told some people I know would already like that kind of music and they ended up liking them but that's about it. I definitely wouldn't be telling my dentist or bunch of people at work. 

The Charismatic Voice reaction has 40,000 views so far. Over 3,000 likes and 1,000 comments. Most of those are probably fans of The Warning already but it's good enough to get some more attention and Elizabeth did say in the comments she plans on doing more from them. This wouldn't have been my pick for the first song for her to react to. Since she's an opera singer and is drawn to the vocals I would have gone with Choke or Disciple. Choke shows off Dany's vocal power and range the best. With Disciple she could have seen Dany and Pau singing a song together. I think Evolve is more of a music driven song than a vocally driven one.

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Wow, even I haven't gone that far with telling people about The Warning lol. I've told some people I know would already like that kind of music and they ended up liking them but that's about it. I definitely wouldn't be telling my dentist or bunch of people at work. 

The Charismatic Voice reaction has 40,000 views so far. Over 3,000 likes and 1,000 comments. Most of those are probably fans of The Warning already but it's good enough to get some more attention and Elizabeth did say in the comments she plans on doing more from them. This wouldn't have been my pick for the first song for her to react to. Since she's an opera singer and is drawn to the vocals I would have gone with Choke or Disciple. Choke shows off Dany's vocal power and range the best. With Disciple she could have seen Dany and Pau singing a song together. I think Evolve is more of a music driven song than a vocally driven one.

Good that she will do more videos of them.  I agree with you that I would also have gone to Coke or Disciple.  I agree that Evolve is more musically driven song.  Personally I would have gone with Disciple but then again, I like the song more than Choke and marginally more then Evolve.

As for the folks at work, so far it has just been my boss who is about my age and into 70's - 80's rock and one lady who I get along well with and I know she is into Yes & The Foo Fighters.  But I will get to some of the others eventually.  There was a lady who worked for me who was actually into Rush and got to see them on the 2112 tour when her older brother was told he had to babysit her (she was 10 and could not be left home alone - the parent both had to work that night).  He wanted to go to the concert so their parents let him go as long as he took her.  Turned her into a Rush fan.  But she is now retired.

My dentist will play whatever music you want to listen to while they are working on you so I always have them put Rush on for me.  So my dentist knows what I like.  He grew up on VH and Metallica but has gone through the same things I have gone through in recent years.  Being unable to find much good new music.  More recently he has gotten into The Killers (must confess I am totally unfamiliar with them).  The hygenist is into Heart so we are always talking a bit about music.  So I have a good musical relationship with them and felt fine giving them the recomendation.

I am not so close to my dr as to make recommendation there however.  Ah well, will just have to keep spreading the word in the office. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Good that she will do more videos of them.  I agree with you that I would also have gone to Coke or Disciple.  I agree that Evolve is more musically driven song.  Personally I would have gone with Disciple but then again, I like the song more than Choke and marginally more then Evolve.

As for the folks at work, so far it has just been my boss who is about my age and into 70's - 80's rock and one lady who I get along well with and I know she is into Yes & The Foo Fighters.  But I will get to some of the others eventually.  There was a lady who worked for me who was actually into Rush and got to see them on the 2112 tour when her older brother was told he had to babysit her (she was 10 and could not be left home alone - the parent both had to work that night).  He wanted to go to the concert so their parents let him go as long as he took her.  Turned her into a Rush fan.  But she is now retired.

My dentist will play whatever music you want to listen to while they are working on you so I always have them put Rush on for me.  So my dentist knows what I like.  He grew up on VH and Metallica but has gone through the same things I have gone through in recent years.  Being unable to find much good new music.  More recently he has gotten into The Killers (must confess I am totally unfamiliar with them).  The hygenist is into Heart so we are always talking a bit about music.  So I have a good musical relationship with them and felt fine giving them the recomendation.

I am not so close to my dr as to make recommendation there however.  Ah well, will just have to keep spreading the word in the office. 

It always confuses me when people say they can't find good new music. It's literally everywhere and has never stopped being made. I almost feel like people who think this don't actually know how to find new music and just wait for something to drop in their lap. I'm 44 and at no point in my life have I ever had a hard time finding something new. That's what makes me falling so hard for The Warning such a special thing to me. I never have a problem finding new stuff and still this band took such a huge hold of me. I haven't been under the spell of a band this much since I discovered Nightwish and Within Temptation back in 2004.

20 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

It always confuses me when people say they can't find good new music. It's literally everywhere and has never stopped being made. I almost feel like people who think this don't actually know how to find new music and just wait for something to drop in their lap. I'm 44 and at no point in my life have I ever had a hard time finding something new. That's what makes me falling so hard for The Warning such a special thing to me. I never have a problem finding new stuff and still this band took such a huge hold of me. I haven't been under the spell of a band this much since I discovered Nightwish and Within Temptation back in 2004.

Dang, you are lucky to have found Nightwish in 2004 when Tarja was with them.  I only found them in 2010 when I watched a youtube video of Led Zeppelin playing Over the Hills and Far Away and their was a link to Nightwish playing it.  I was like "Never heard of them, what are they, some horrible death metal band butchering the Zep song?  Let me click and watch it for 5 seconds.  Then I will get out of it b4 I lose my meal."  I was just blown away by Tarja's vocals on the video.  Within Temptation I was never thrilled by.  ok but not special.  Not going to buy an album from them (I strongly prefer getting vinyl or, if I must, CD's).  Maybe I should give them another shot.

In my teens and early twenties I would have agreed with you about the music scene.  When I was away at college every Saturday I would go out and wind up getting 1, 2, 3 or even 4 new albums.  Some were based on what I was hearing on the radio, some based on MTV, some because the band name sounded neat or the album cover looked cool.  Some I might have heard the band was good or somebody had told me the album was good.  But I would always be getting something and then bring them (and a 6 pack) back to the dorm, order a pizza and enjoy the essentials of life  (pizza, beer and good music).  The other kids in the dorm alway knew some interesting music - even stuff they had not heard of - would be getting played and it might turn them onto something.  Like the time I picked up an album because of the album cover and was really impressed by the music even though I had never heard of the band.  One of my neighbors came in and started looking at what I had picked up and said "Appetite for Destruction?  What a name for an album.  Guns and Roses?  Never heard of the group."  I was like "You will, you will.  The album is awesome."  That what I feel like I have found with The Warning.  That same sense of knowing I have found something awesome most people don't know about yet.  The same sense of being blown away like Nightwish did.

Note - that was in the school year.  Summers I just worked 60+ hrs a week in a dairy plant and took classes at night.  When I could, I went to concerts.  Just did not have the time or energy to go shopping.

That started to change a bit around 1989.  I found less good new music.  There was still lots of good new music but less then in 1988, then less in 1990 then in 1989, then less in 1991 and still less in 1992 and still less in 1993.  For me it all changed all changed abut 1993.  I remember Savatage put out its great rock opera "Streets" in the early 90's which I played ever night for months.  But after that it was just harder and harder to find anything good.  After 1993 I could find nothing that interested me.  No matter what the radio stations played.  Mostly now I listen to Ozzy Boneyard, Classic Rewind and Hair Nation.  Plus some Classic Vinyl and classical music.  FM radio - forget it.  Turbo, Octane & Twister - basically don't do anything for me.

I will admit I intentionally took myself off line for several years.  From about 2013 - 2021 I lived in an apartment where I did not have the internet.  Did a lot of reading and listened to what I had (which was a big collection - plus added a lot of boots to it and a lot of classical music to it).  I was basically happy.  But no Youtube.  That seems to be the best place to find interesting music.  So perhaps I was not looking hard enough & in the right place.  That changed in the last year when I got a job transfer and moved back near my folks who are in their 90's and need some help - although they can still drive.  Obviously now I am on-line.

Perhaps its the reverse of you for me.  Not having anything for so many year has left me like a man dying of thirst who has found a stream of cool, clear water.  Especially, with Rush retired and Nightwish's last album having been a disappointment to me I was really dying of musical thirst.  That makes The Warning even more enjoyable and shocking for me that something is there that not a mirage.

BTW - told somebody else at work about them today.  Don't think they will check out The  Warning but at least I told them.  

Great video from last night. Their first show on their Canadian tour this month. This time around Three Days Grace has the honor of being the cool down band after The Warning plays. Booking a tour up there this time of year was probably not the best idea. They have to drive through Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba over the next week or so and the weather around there this time of year can be very scary.

7 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

EP, do you know what kind of drums Pau is playing here? Is it a mini electric kit or something?

Too far away for me to make out the name and I’m no expert, but yeah it looks to be a little rectangular drum machine that she’s added a couple plug-in pedals to for the kick and hi hat controls.

Here is last nights show.  I thought it was a very good show - way better than the Vancouver show.  The crowd may not have been to familiar with them but really got into them.  Both this and the Vancouver show have had good lighting.  I give the person who filmed this one a lot of credit - they obviously are a warning fan as they knew when to switch the camera from Pau (who as always was on fire) to Ale (who seemed to be really having a good time) to Dany (who was just rocking out as always).  At first you think the camera location and & setting was bad but no - IMO its good.  The person who filmed the show can catch both Ale and Danny in the same frame easily and could switch to Pau quickly.  I really liked this show.  Hope you feel the same.

5 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Here is last nights show.  I thought it was a very good show - way better than the Vancouver show.  The crowd may not have been to familiar with them but really got into them.  Both this and the Vancouver show have had good lighting.  I give the person who filmed this one a lot of credit - they obviously are a warning fan as they knew when to switch the camera from Pau (who as always was on fire) to Ale (who seemed to be really having a good time) to Dany (who was just rocking out as always).  At first you think the camera location and & setting was bad but no - IMO its good.  The person who filmed the show can catch both Ale and Danny in the same frame easily and could switch to Pau quickly.  I really liked this show.  Hope you feel the same.

Martin TW is a super fan and has a lot of really good live recordings on his YouTube channel. For a while I thought he worked for the band due to how many shows he recorded that have such good quality. But the start of the Vancouver video shows him doing a meet and greet with the band. If he worked for them he obviously wouldn't have to do that. I'm sure the band knows him pretty well by this point.

• Like 1

Here is the most recent show.  Martin, who filmed the Calgary show also filed this show.  Dang, I would be happy to see them once on a tour & was happy if I saw Rush once per tour.  Man, he is a real fanatical fan to be going to all this shows.  The calgary show he was more over on Ale's side of the stage, this one he is over on Dany' side.  But like that show he had a good camera angle  Good crowed at this show as well.  Seems they are getting some real positive reactions up in Canada.

Their merch is selling really well on this tour. At one of the shows in British Columbia they almost sold out and reports from the Calgary show said their merch sold out. So, they having a strong affect on the crowds in Canada. Hopefully, it will be like that for them in the US soon but who knows. This country kind of sucks when it comes to musical tastes.

Edited by J2112YYZ

8 hours ago, thizzellewashington said:

Wouldn't be mad at another round of headlining dates in the US

I think that will happen next year. After all the positive steps that have happened for them this year, I think they will do another North American tour to see where they stand drawing as a headliner. I think them playing places that can fit 1,000 people is very possible. First I think they have to do Mexico and South America since they haven't toured for the new album yet and I know of many fans who want to see them down there. Europe? Who knows? There have been bands more well known and established than them who had to cancel European tours this year due to inflation being a real problem over there. Also, there is currently a shortage on tour buses to rent because so many bands are trying to tour this year. I believe The Warning owns their tour bus. I guess that's what my Patreon money is going towards 😄

Edited by J2112YYZ

The headlining show I saw last year (which led to me starting this thread) was at a club that holds about 500 people and it was pretty packed/good crowd, so I could definitely see them bumping up to 1k-capacity places now that they've had a ton of reps opening for massive names and have a little more name recognition.