The Warning

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Here's the full show from Richmond. The venues issue with not being able to hear the mic too well is the only thing that brings it down. I hope that paying gig you had EP was worth missing this for 🤪

Not a mistake I intend to make again. I’m gonna make a list of bands who I refuse to miss if I get the chance to see them. Any gig that superceeds those is gonna have to mean more to me than 150 bucks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Not a mistake I intend to make again. I’m gonna make a list of bands who I refuse to miss if I get the chance to see them. Any gig that superceeds those is gonna have to mean more to me than 150 bucks.

I think they will do a proper headling tour for Error next year. The one they did earlier this year was just for the Mayday EP. So, touring for the whole album next year makes sense.

• Like 1

Last night they played their biggest headlining show ever. The first of two sold out shows at the Metropolitan Theater in Mexico City. Great performance and fantastic crowd. They did 21 songs and played almost two hours. This was the live stream I watched. There's better quality videos from the show but they are only individual songs and not the full show.

• Like 1

The Warning?  Been a long time since i have posted to The Rush Forum but yes, I had to post about them.  They are great!!  Their original EP was nothing much but the first full album was decent and the second album, Queen of the Murder Scene, is the real deal.  Totally awesome from start to finish.  Best new album I have come across in some time.  Their most recent album I have listened to and its good. Not (IMHO) as good as QOTMS but good.  Not close actually.  QOTMS is really good.  Every song on it is very enjoyable.  They are going to be BIG and I have been telling anybody who will listen to me to watch out for them.  I am totally into them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

The Warning?  Been a long time since i have posted to The Rush Forum but yes, I had to post about them.  They are great!!  Their original EP was nothing much but the first full album was decent and the second album, Queen of the Murder Scene, is the real deal.  Totally awesome from start to finish.  Best new album I have come across in some time.  Their most recent album I have listened to and its good. Not (IMHO) as good as QOTMS but good.  Not close actually.  QOTMS is really good.  Every song on it is very enjoyable.  They are going to be BIG and I have been telling anybody who will listen to me to watch out for them.  I am totally into them.

I love both QOTMS and Error but I like Error better. They're more complete songwriters on it musically and especially lyrically. I do love a good concept album but I also like when a band is honest and up front with what they are feeling and seeing in their lyrics and have something worthwhile to say. That's exactly what we get with Error. The band is always very honest and engaging with all their video chats and behind the scenes stuff. I feel with Error they brought that to the forefront with those songs. Both albums are great but for completely different reasons.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I love both QOTMS and Error but I like Error better. They're more complete songwriters on it musically and especially lyrically. I do love a good concept album but I also like when a band is honest and up front with what they are feeling and seeing in their lyrics and have something worthwhile to say. That's exactly what we get with Error. The band is always very honest and engaging with all their video chats and behind the scenes stuff. I feel with Error they brought that to the forefront with those songs. Both albums are great but for completely different reasons.

I enjoy Error but so far its not QOTMS.  That being said, I agree that the song writing on Error is more complete.  But somehow it does not yet catch me as much as QOTMS does.  Of course, I only stumbled across them on Youtube about 2 weeks back so I am still getting to appreciate them.  I would agree that both are great for very different reasons.  BTW - 21st century Blood also has its moments.  Its not on the same level but it is also decent (IMO).

It will be interesting to watch them develop.  They can play live and, before signing with Lava records, insisted on complete control over their music - that little sticking point of artistic independence they insisted on kept them unsigned for several years.  But it also gave them time to keep growing at their own pace and in their own direction.  Should be interesting - hopefully we are are in for a long ride.  Rush was much the same as we all know, and their insistence of independence lead us to 40 wonderful years of music.  We can only hope and see....

Speaking of Rush, am I the only one who hears small influence from Rush in a few of their songs?  Its not a lot but I hear it (along with Metalica (unfortunately, I only like 3 of their songs (Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls and, to a much lesser extent, Enter Sandman)) plus tiny influences from Joan Jet & (during some of slower guitar solo's) a little Pink Floyd).  Mostly I hear a group finding its own way - which I find very interesting.

Any other influences others hear in their music I am not hearing?  Would be curious what other are hearing that I am missing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I enjoy Error but so far its not QOTMS.  That being said, I agree that the song writing on Error is more complete.  But somehow it does not yet catch me as much as QOTMS does.  Of course, I only stumbled across them on Youtube about 2 weeks back so I am still getting to appreciate them.  I would agree that both are great for very different reasons.  BTW - 21st century Blood also has its moments.  Its not on the same level but it is also decent (IMO).

It will be interesting to watch them develop.  They can play live and, before signing with Lava records, insisted on complete control over their music - that little sticking point of artistic independence they insisted on kept them unsigned for several years.  But it also gave them time to keep growing at their own pace and in their own direction.  Should be interesting - hopefully we are are in for a long ride.  Rush was much the same as we all know, and their insistence of independence lead us to 40 wonderful years of music.  We can only hope and see....

Speaking of Rush, am I the only one who hears small influence from Rush in a few of their songs?  Its not a lot but I hear it (along with Metalica (unfortunately, I only like 3 of their songs (Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls and, to a much lesser extent, Enter Sandman)) plus tiny influences from Joan Jet & (during some of slower guitar solo's) a little Pink Floyd).  Mostly I hear a group finding its own way - which I find very interesting.

Any other influences others hear in their music I am not hearing?  Would be curious what other are hearing that I am missing.

I hear a lot of Muse and a dash of My Chemical Romance, MCR especially on QOTMS, which I also prefer to Error like you. Both are great though.

And I didn't know about that demand they had... that is the smartest thing they could possibly do. I'm proud? I'm in no position to be proud, lol, but if I were I would be beaming with pride for them!  Complete control over the music is more than most bands can dream of, and to see such a young band keep themselves from letting vampiric contracts bleed them dry is really empowering. I honestly wonder how many bands even know why this matters so much, let alone how many have the balls to wait for a label to come along that actually meets that demand. Bravo!

13 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Yes, I do hear the Rush influence. Neil was a big inspiration to Pau and you can hear it on a number of the drum fills and rolls she does. Metallica was another influence especially for Dany. A lot of the facial expressions and crowd interactions she does on stage she learned by studying what James Hetfield did. I'm not sure if anyone else hears it but I hear something similar in how they play riffs. I don't know if Dany plays with a similar style or groove as Hetfield but there are several riffs from her that I hear a Metallica vibe in. All that would need to be done is make the riff a little heavier and faster and it's a Metallica riff.

16 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I hear a lot of Muse and a dash of My Chemical Romance, MCR especially on QOTMS, which I also prefer to Error like you. Both are great though.

And I didn't know about that demand they had... that is the smartest thing they could possibly do. I'm proud? I'm in no position to be proud, lol, but if I were I would be beaming with pride for them!  Complete control over the music is more than most bands can dream of, and to see such a young band keep themselves from letting vampiric contracts bleed them dry is really empowering. I honestly wonder how many bands even know why this matters so much, let alone how many have the balls to wait for a label to come along that actually meets that demand. Bravo!

There's no way I haven't mentioned that about their record deal. There's 186 replies in this thread and I have at least 100 of those 😄 I had to have said something about that.

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

There's no way I haven't mentioned that about their record deal. There's 186 replies in this thread and I have at least 100 of those 😄 I had to have said something about that.

You definitely said something about their record deal but I don’t remember it being that specifically.

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

You definitely said something about their record deal but I don’t remember it being that specifically.

Ah, maybe I didn't. Between this thread and the band's Patreon and Discord server, I've probably lost track of where I have discussed what with this band over the last six months 😂

Major labels were very interested in them but they wanted to control what they did. I'm not sure what exactly they wanted them to do but my guess is that since they were so young they wanted them to be some crappy teen pop band and write the next Mmmm Bop. Well, they turned them all down because they wanted control their music. That's why the first two albums were independent. That's some serious confidence in what you're doing considering their ages were around 16, 14 and 11 at the time. After QOTMS major labels came calling again but the band still wanted to control what they did. They knew that signing to a major label would help them to break out in North America and eventually the rest of the world. They negotiated for six months with Lava which is a sub label of Republic records. That pretty much brings us to where they are now. They are a signed band but still run many things like an independent one. Lava just pretty much lets them do what they want 90 percent of the time. They are working on getting a better merch distribution method, so they don't have to fullfil all the orders themselves like they've been doing. They still package, label and mail out all their Patreon rewards themselves. They have over 2,000 members on Patreon. So, they are a signed band with a very unique deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Ah, maybe I didn't. Between this thread and the band's Patreon and Discord server, I've probably lost track of where I have discussed what with this band over the last six months 😂

Major labels were very interested in them but they wanted to control what they did. I'm not sure what exactly they wanted them to do but my guess is that since they were so young they wanted them to be some crappy teen pop band and write the next Mmmm Bop. Well, they turned them all down because they wanted control their music. That's why the first two albums were independent. That's some serious confidence in what you're doing considering their ages were around 16, 14 and 11 at the time. After QOTMS major labels came calling again but the band still wanted to control what they did. They knew that signing to a major label would help them to break out in North America and eventually the rest of the world. They negotiated for six months with Lava which is a sub label of Republic records. That pretty much brings us to where they are now. They are a signed band but still run many things like an independent one. Lava just pretty much lets them do what they want 90 percent of the time. They are working on getting a better merch distribution method, so they don't have to fullfil all the orders themselves like they've been doing. They still package, label and mail out all their Patreon rewards themselves. They have over 2,000 members on Patreon. So, they are a signed band with a very unique deal.

I’m hoping “control of their music” is both full creative control and the legal rights to their masters. Both are incredibly important.

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’m hoping “control of their music” is both full creative control and the legal rights to their masters. Both are incredibly important.

I think creative control is the big one. Although I think the record company does have some say in things. Back in August they released a remixed version of Choke featuring Grandson and Zero 936. I in no way think this was the band's idea. The remix is terrible and bares very little resemblance to the original. It shows a lack of knowledge about what the fan base would want from this band. It reeks of a record company sticking their nose in something that they know nothing about because they just wanted to try and get The Warning a wider audience and had no idea how to do it. There are good ways to do remixes. This was not one of them. So, they have signed a unique contract and it will allow them to write what they want for each album but like any deal, the record company will still have some say.

The music video for Error was also a record company call. They were supposed to have a day off after doing three shows in a row but Lava wanted another video, so they had to record it on a day off during the tour. Even though they had already done videos for Choke, Disciple, Evolve, Animosity, Martirio and Money over the last year and Lava has done f**k all to try and promote those singles and get YouTube views up, increase steams or radio play at all. They still wanted another video. Since I have been a fan I have seen Lzzy and Arejay Hale of Halestorm do more to promote the band and raise their profile than their obvious incompetent label has. So many songs on Error could be huge rock hits. Yet the record label doesn't even seem to know the basics as to how to promote a band.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I think creative control is the big one. Although I think the record company does have some say in things. Back in August they released a remixed version of Choke featuring Grandson and Zero 936. I in no way think this was the band's idea. The remix is terrible and bares very little resemblance to the original. It shows a lack of knowledge about what the fan base would want from this band. It reeks of a record company sticking their nose in something that they know nothing about because they just wanted to try and get The Warning a wider audience and had no idea how to do it. There are good ways to do remixes. This was not one of them. So, they have signed a unique contract and it will allow them to write what they want for each album but like any deal, the record company will still have some say.

The music video for Error was also a record company call. They were supposed to have a day off after doing three shows in a row but Lava wanted another video, so they had to record it on a day off during the tour. Even though they had already done videos for Choke, Disciple, Evolve, Animosity, Martirio and Money over the last year and Lava has done f**k all to try and promote those singles and get YouTube views up, increase steams or radio play at all. They still wanted another video. Since I have been a fan I have seen Lzzy and Arejay Hale of Halestorm do more to promote the band and raise their profile than their obvious incompetent label has. So many songs on Error could be huge rock hits. Yet the record label doesn't even seem to know the basics as to how to promote a band.

That's the label strategy these days: don't do work you can conceivably get the band to do for you, then reap the benefits.  Halsey made a big deal about it a few months back when she made a Tik Tok that was just her face and some captions that went something to the extent of "I have a  new single ready to release--mixed, mastered and everything already--but the record company refuses to put it out until I make a viral Tik Tok video."  Ironically, that very Tik Tok went viral.

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

That's the label strategy these days: don't do work you can conceivably get the band to do for you, then reap the benefits.  Halsey made a big deal about it a few months back when she made a Tik Tok that was just her face and some captions that went something to the extent of "I have a  new single ready to release--mixed, mastered and everything already--but the record company refuses to put it out until I make a viral Tik Tok video."  Ironically, that very Tik Tok went viral.

I was just happy to get all that off my chest. Talk like that is frowned upon over in the Patreon. The fans want to try and keep everything in a positive light there because the band might end up seeing it. I get that. But at the same time they are not giving these three enough credit. The band is always honest with the fans and I think they would appreciate that honesty in return even if it's negative.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I was just happy to get all that off my chest. Talk like that is frowned upon over in the Patreon. The fans want to try and keep everything in a positive light there because the band might end up seeing it. I get that. But at the same time they are not giving these three enough credit. The band is always honest with the fans and I think they would appreciate that honesty in return even if it's negative.

Oh goodness yeah, I will gladly talk smack about any label, I don't care if Queen is signed to them, if they suck they suck and it deserves to be proclaimed. Big big props to The Warning for getting the least bad deal they could, but the label should absolutely not be forcing you to make a music video on a previously agreed to day off, especially after not promoting your other videos. You have done more to promote this band personally than Lava records, because I've still seen narry a whiff about them anywhere other than here and at the lower rung of the iTunes rock album charts. 

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh goodness yeah, I will gladly talk smack about any label, I don't care if Queen is signed to them, if they suck they suck and it deserves to be proclaimed. Big big props to The Warning for getting the least bad deal they could, but the label should absolutely not be forcing you to make a music video on a previously agreed to day off, especially after not promoting your other videos. You have done more to promote this band personally than Lava records, because I've still seen narry a whiff about them anywhere other than here and at the lower rung of the iTunes rock album charts. 

Outside of the band and the fans, Halestorm has done the most to promote them in the six months since I became a fan. Lzzy saying that The Warning have inspired her to be a better songwriter and reigniting her love for playing live. Gifting Dany a custom made guitar and saying nothing but complimentary things about them in interviews since they started touring with them. On the last few shows of the tour, Arejay Hale played drums on Narcisista and Pau was able to be the front woman for a song. This actually got streams of the song to rise enough it moved back into their top ten on Spotify. I'm sure the friendship and professional respect the two bands have developed for each other will lead to future tours together and that will continue to do more good for The Warning than their label does. Lzzy has more clout in the rock world than Lava records does anyways.

After all the shows with Halestorm this past summer the band would pose for a picture and post it on social media. Some of the most common things people said were along the lines of "these girls were great. You earned a new fan tonight" "how come I've never heard of this band? You were awesome" "why are these ladies not on the radio?"

I don't know. That's only something their incompetent and lazy record label can answer. These three are the easiest home run a label could have in the rock genre in I don't know how many years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

I don't think I mentioned it here but on October 23rd they will be opening for Guns N Roses in their hometown of Monterey, Mexico.

Thats huge and it says something (just as your posts about Halestorm says something).  Lets fact it, to open for G & R is BIG.  They have also opened for the Foo Fighters in Mexico City and in 2019 opened for Def Leopard (double check me on the 2019, not 100% it was 2019).  If it was 2019 that was at a point when they were still unsigned.  Even now they are signed with minimal record sales (so far).  So what does it say?  Its says that, even if most fans have not heard of them and their label is lazy and incompetent, those in the industry who understand music (in other words, fellow musicians) see that they are hot.  That they are the real deal and want them to open.  Yes, the concert promotors might have a say in it but I think its the bands themselves.  Thats a sign of respect from big time bands that see the future and want to help it along.

Its like in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" when Kiss talked about Rush and they said that after hearing Geddy & Rush they were like "We have to get some of that" and asked for Rush to open for them.  They saw that Rush was the real deal and wanted them on tour with them.  I think thats whats going on here.

BTW - is in me or is Ale the anti John Entwistle?  He was awesome on the base but never moved from the spot he started the show in.  She could not say in place for more than 5 seconds - but also plays a great base.

Separate note - Thanks for confirming for me that I was correct in hearing some Rush in Pau's drumming.  The interesting thing is that for me her physical style reminds me of Juka of Nightwish, both in how she beats the heck out of the drums and some of her body movements.  

Live they sort of remind me in a strange way of The Who.  Their music does not, but the energy they bring to their shows is like The Who in some ways. No destroyed guitars or blown up drums (thankfully) but a raw energy and love of playing that reminds me of early Who.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Thats huge and it says something (just as your posts about Halestorm says something).  Lets fact it, to open for G & R is BIG.  They have also opened for the Foo Fighters in Mexico City and in 2019 opened for Def Leopard (double check me on the 2019, not 100% it was 2019).  If it was 2019 that was at a point when they were still unsigned.  Even now they are signed with minimal record sales (so far).  So what does it say?  Its says that, even if most fans have not heard of them and their label is lazy and incompetent, those in the industry who understand music (in other words, fellow musicians) see that they are hot.  That they are the real deal and want them to open.  Yes, the concert promotors might have a say in it but I think its the bands themselves.  Thats a sign of respect from big time bands that see the future and want to help it along.

Its like in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" when Kiss talked about Rush and they said that after hearing Geddy & Rush they were like "We have to get some of that" and asked for Rush to open for them.  They saw that Rush was the real deal and wanted them on tour with them.  I think thats whats going on here.

BTW - is in me or is Ale the anti John Entwistle?  He was awesome on the base but never moved from the spot he started the show in.  She could not say in place for more than 5 seconds - but also plays a great base.

Separate note - Thanks for confirming for me that I was correct in hearing some Rush in Pau's drumming.  The interesting thing is that for me her physical style reminds me of Juka of Nightwish, both in how she beats the heck out of the drums and some of her body movements.  

Live they sort of remind me in a strange way of The Who.  Their music does not, but the energy they bring to their shows is like The Who in some ways. No destroyed guitars or blown up drums (thankfully) but a raw energy and love of playing that reminds me of early Who.

They have opened for Alice Cooper and The Killers in Mexico as well. Part of it is promotors and other people in the music world recognizing they're something special. The other huge part is their manager Rudy. He works just as hard as they do. He's with them on tour and at everything that requires the band's presence publicly. He is a co-owner of a entertainment and promotion company. Any positive business deals that happen with the band are because of him. The Mexican airline the band uses to fly in and out of the US became a sponsor for the band. The airline also has a deal with direct flights to Vegas and the Raiders use that as a way to promote their team in Mexico. This has also lead to The Warning being sponsored by the Las Vegas Raiders. All of this is Rudy's doing.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1