The Warning

EP, I don't know if you decided to go to their show tonight or not. But there will probably be a recording or ten of it on YouTube after since it's a headlining show. Apparently, some fans find it more important to a good video recording of them instead of paying attention to the performance  😄

Edited by J2112YYZ

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

EP, I don't know if you decided to go to their show tonight or not. But there will probably be a recording or ten of it on YouTube after since it's a headlining show. Apparently, some fans find it more important to a good video recording of them instead of paying attention to the performance  😄

I won’t get to go. Not unless this gig gets cancelled at the last minute and I have enough time to get myself to Richmond. Funny thing is this totally could’ve been cancelled when the drummer caught Covid, when the keyboardist’s wife caught Covid, or when the singer quit, but instead the drummer got out of quarantine, the key player seems to have not caught it from his wife, and we found two singers to replace the one literally two days ago. The forces of chaos seem incapable of stopping this from happening and I won’t be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

So, after their show in Richmond last night they were booked to play at a big car show this afternoon in Denver for reasons myself and some other fans still can't figure out . Since there was no time for them to adjust to the altitude after such a quick turnaround, Dany got lightheaded during their set and had to leave the stage. The rest of the show was cancelled. Pau posted that Dany is ok now. I'm guessing she got altitude sickness.

Edited by J2112YYZ

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

So, after their show in Richmond last night they were booked to play at a big car show this afternoon in Denver for reasons myself and some other fans still can't figure out . Since there was no time for them to adjust to the altitude after such a quick turnaround, Dany got lightheaded during their set and had to leave the stage. The rest of the show was cancelled. Pau posted that Dany is ok now. I'm guessing she got altitude sickness.

Dang. Yeah going from so near the coast to Colorado of all places had to have been tough, especially for a singer. I’m glad she’s alright now.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Dang. Yeah going from so near the coast to Colorado of all places had to have been tough, especially for a singer. I’m glad she’s alright now.

The problem with doing something like this for a person like Dany is that she is very energetic and never seems to have an off switch. So, I'm guessing she probably didn't sleep too well or hydrate enough for this after last night's show. Still, it's pretty crazy to book something like this going into such a high altitude area. They have played there before so they knew about the altitude.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

The problem with doing something like this for a person like Dany is that she is very energetic and never seems to have an off switch. So, I'm guessing she probably didn't sleep too well or hydrate enough for this after last night's show. Still, it's pretty crazy to book something like this going into such a high altitude area. They have played there before so they knew about the altitude.

I'm sure it was all of those factors combined. The main point is that she's okay now and I'm sure they'll be more careful about their schedule next time.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I'm sure it was all of those factors combined. The main point is that she's okay now and I'm sure they'll be more careful about their schedule next time.

In two weeks they have a couple shows in Mexico City and I think that's higher elevation than Denver. They're off until then so they can get there a few days ahead to adjust. They're playing Colombia later this year and will have to do the same there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

In two weeks they have a couple shows in Mexico City and I think that's higher elevation than Denver. They're off until then so they can get there a few days ahead to adjust. They're playing Colombia later this year and will have to do the same there.

Wow, they're really moving up in the world! :p

Sorry I had to, lol. Where in Mexico are they from again? Is it Mexico City?

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Wow, they're really moving up in the world! :p

Sorry I had to, lol. Where in Mexico are they from again? Is it Mexico City?

They're from Monterey. The Mexico City shows are big ones for them. They said they will be playing everything off the new album for those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They're from Monterey. The Mexico City shows are big ones for them. They said they will be playing everything off the new album for those.

Ah, I see that's nowhere near Mexico City. Sounds like some great shows though!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Ah, I see that's nowhere near Mexico City. Sounds like some great shows though!

Hopefully, this will give Dany time to remember the words to Amour. She forgot them at the show in Richmond since they haven't played it in over a month 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Hopefully, this will give Dany time to remember the words to Amour. She forgot them at the show in Richmond since they haven't played it in over a month 😄

Lol, these things do happen. What I can't figure out is how you haven't changed your avatar to one of their album covers yet! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Lol, these things do happen. What I can't figure out is how you haven't changed your avatar to one of their album covers yet! 

That's just laziness on my part. Here's a video of Amour from the show. The house mic sucks though. You can barely hear the vocals. When you consider how strong Dany's voice is, that's a serious problem the venue needs to fix.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That's just laziness on my part. Here's a video of Amour from the show. The house mic sucks though. You can barely hear the vocals. When you consider how strong Dany's voice is, that's a serious problem the venue needs to fix.

Oh yeah very quiet vox for some reason. Guitar sounded excellent though. I like how she noticed one of the harmonics was a little out of tune after an instrumental break and realized the whammy must not be all the way down. Also, I saw her doing a certain technique with her down picking where she was holding the pick at a bit of an upwards angle and kind of pulling it down on the strings rather than pushing. I learned about that technique very recently from a YouTube guitarist who was explaining a few tricks you can use to speed up your strumming hand, of course he was trying to go at 80s Metallica speeds which is why he needed them, but I tried it a bit and that technique is actually quite a bit easier in the hand. Very cool to see someone using it in a performance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh yeah very quiet vox for some reason. Guitar sounded excellent though. I like how she noticed one of the harmonics was a little out of tune after an instrumental break and realized the whammy must not be all the way down. Also, I saw her doing a certain technique with her down picking where she was holding the pick at a bit of an upwards angle and kind of pulling it down on the strings rather than pushing. I learned about that technique very recently from a YouTube guitarist who was explaining a few tricks you can use to speed up your strumming hand, of course he was trying to go at 80s Metallica speeds which is why he needed them, but I tried it a bit and that technique is actually quite a bit easier in the hand. Very cool to see someone using it in a performance.

Do you know if James Hetfield uses that playing technique? He was an influence for Dany as a player. She even learned how to do facial expressions live by watching what James would do.

• Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Do you know if James Hetfield uses that playing technique? He was an influence for Dany as a player. She even learned how to do facial expressions live by watching what James would do.

James is a superhuman. I’m pretty sure his technique is to mash his pick down as fast as physically possible without losing grip. Not many people can properly imitate his guitar playing because of that. The upwards angle thing is more of a trick that will let someone get the speed you need for something like Sanitarium or Master Of Puppets without putting so much strain on your wrist, one I don’t think James uses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thizzellewashington said:

Still no word on when the physical release might be coming?

They have mailed copies of Error out to all the kickstarters that helped them raise the money to record it. The band packaged, labeled and mailed all those themselves. They are also selling them at their shows. So, there are physical copies made now. I'm guessing it won't be too long now before they're available. Even though Lava records is doing f**k all to get the band regular radio rotation in the US, I'm assuming since they are a "major" label they would very much like to make their money at some point.

Dany is fine after the incident yesterday. She did get altitude sickness. Rudy, the bands manager, posted a picture of him with Dany at the Denver airport today saying they were on their way home. Dany, as usual showed off that beautiful smile of hers in the picture as if nothing ever happened and it was a normal day on tour.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They have mailed copies of Error out to all the kickstarters that helped them raise the money to record it. The band packaged, labeled and mailed all those themselves. They are also selling them at their shows. So, there are physical copies made now. I'm guessing it won't be too long now before they're available. Even though Lava records is doing f**k all to get the band regular radio rotation in the US, I'm assuming since they are a "major" label they would very much like to make their money at some point.

Dany is fine after the incident yesterday. She did get altitude sickness. Rudy, the bands manager, posted a picture of him with Dany at the Denver airport today saying they were on their way home. Dany, as usual showed off that beautiful smile of hers in the picture as if nothing ever happened and it was a normal day on tour.

Ah yes, where have I heard this before. Band signs record deal, ostensibly so their music will be professionally promoted and distributed. Some months later, after putting in the incredibly hard work of writing, recording, and probably helping to produce the first album with this label, the band come to realize the label isn’t doing squat to help them distribute it. No big deal, we started indie and we can do it ourselves. So they do, thinking if the label won’t help distribute product they’ll at least help promote it. Somewhere down the line they realize there’s no promotion work being done aside from their own hard work touring and selling merch and records at their shows, which will likely only make them back enough money to break even on touring expenses (….if that). Then the label will come along before the next album asking them to make it more commercial because it didn’t meet their sales expectations, or pull some baloney like refusing to release their next single to streaming until the band write record and release a viral Tik Tok video to promote it. You know. The sort of thing that is theoretically in the hands of the label’s promo and marketing department.  And at the end of the day the label asks for their (large) cut of the profits (as was agreed upon in the contract, as if they didn’t already take the consumer’s money up front and give the scraps to the artist), and oh, since that last record didn’t meet sales expectations and the material for the next one doesn’t sound as commercial as we’d hoped (not that we’re willing to pay for a better producer who will help you figure out how to even give us the sound we’re asking for), we better just cut our losses right here. Contact over, band gets dropped. And they absolutely do not get to take the rights to whatever music they made under that label with them when they go.

Welcome to the modern music business. I didn’t even mention streaming.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

49 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Ah yes, where have I heard this before. Band signs record deal, ostensibly so their music will be professionally promoted and distributed. Some months later, after putting in the incredibly hard work of writing, recording, and probably helping to produce the first album with this label, the band come to realize the label isn’t doing squat to help them distribute it. No big deal, we started indie and we can do it ourselves. So they do, thinking if the label won’t help distribute product they’ll at least help promote it. Somewhere down the line they realize there’s no promotion work being done aside from their own hard work touring and selling merch and records at their shows, which will likely only make them back enough money to break even on touring expenses (….if that). Then the label will come along before the next album asking them to make it more commercial because it didn’t meet their sales expectations, or pull some baloney like refusing to release their next single to streaming until the band write record and release a viral Tik Tok video to promote it. You know. The sort of thing that is theoretically in the hands of the label’s promo and marketing department.  And at the end of the day the label asks for their (large) cut of the profits (as was agreed upon in the contract, as if they didn’t already take the consumer’s money up front and give the scraps to the artist), and oh, since that last record didn’t meet sales expectations and the material for the next one doesn’t sound as commercial as we’d hoped (not that we’re willing to pay for a better producer who will help you figure out how to even give us the sound we’re asking for), we better just cut our losses right here. Contact over, band gets dropped. And they absolutely do not get to take the rights to whatever music they made under that label with them when they go.

Welcome to the modern music business. I didn’t even mention streaming.

When it comes to distribution, I'm not going to put all the blame on the label. The band had said that the kickstarters would be the first ones to get copies of the album when they were available. Then covid lockdowns delayed the production of a lot of bands albums. So, there's the whole thing of not knowing when they were going to have them. Plus, the band has always handled all the merch themselves. So, everything they have is on the road with them and they have been touring a ton this year. Hopefully, Lava will take over when it comes to the merch. The band is getting more well known and won't be able to keep up with the demand themselves unless they enjoy missing out on more money by always having their online store empty.

The reason the band signed with Lava is because they weren't going to dictate what the band should write. They turned down bigger labels because they wanted to control what they were doing. I think Lava is genuine in saying they won't interfere with what the band wants to do musically. They're signed with them for five albums. I'm assuming the label thinks that the amount of online content the band has is promotion enough. Honestly, the band could start their own streaming service with all the videos they have online. But Lava should be trying to get them on US radio regularly. The band does have the songs, so I don't know what the issue is there.

Edited by J2112YYZ

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

When it comes to distribution, I'm not going to put all the blame on the label. The band had said that the kickstarters would be the first ones to get copies of the album when they were available. Then covid lockdowns delayed the production of a lot of bands albums. So, there's the whole thing of not knowing when they were going to have them. Plus, the band has always handled all the merch themselves. So, everything they have is on the road with them and they have been touring a ton this year. Hopefully, Lava will take over when it comes to the merch. The band is getting more well known and won't be able to keep up with the demand themselves unless they enjoy missing out on more money.

The reason the band signed with Lava is because they weren't going to dictate what the band should write. They turned down bigger labels because they wanted to control what they were doing. I think Lava is genuine in saying they won't interfere with what the band wants to do musically. They're signed with them for five albums. I'm assuming the label thinks that the amount of online content the band has is promotion enough. Honestly, the band could start their own streaming service with all the videos they have online.

For their sakes I hope that's all true of Lava. I've never heard of that label before, which is a point in their favor. Usually the only labels I've ever heard of are bad bad news or a vapid shell of what they used to be.  I will say though, it ought to be the label's job to finance the production of physical copies of the music, at least up front.  Kudos to the band for not getting into debt with the label, but if they did kickstarter because the label wouldn't finance physical copies, rather than because the band just didn't want to put that ball in their court and probably owe them money, then the label isn't doing everything they aught to do for the band.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. I've just heard 99 horror stories about record labels for every 1 time they do something right.

32 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

For their sakes I hope that's all true of Lava. I've never heard of that label before, which is a point in their favor. Usually the only labels I've ever heard of are bad bad news or a vapid shell of what they used to be.  I will say though, it ought to be the label's job to finance the production of physical copies of the music, at least up front.  Kudos to the band for not getting into debt with the label, but if they did kickstarter because the label wouldn't finance physical copies, rather than because the band just didn't want to put that ball in their court and probably owe them money, then the label isn't doing everything they aught to do for the band.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. I've just heard 99 horror stories about record labels for every 1 time they do something right.

Lava is a sub label for Republic records. They have only have Gretta Van Fleet and like five others signed to them. As for the Kickstarter, I believe that started before they were signed to Lava. So, the money was already there so they may as well use it. The band did have to go to New Jersey for like three months to record it. I guess the main thing Lava did for them was getting David Bendeth to produce Error. I'm not sure how much they paid for in expenses.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:35 PM, J2112YYZ said:

Being from Richmond, I've been to this venue several times.  There is a a stage in the basement/1st floor and the main stage on the 2nd floor.  I've never noticed any issues with sound whenever I have been there so I will assume this was a one-time issue.  I was downtown Sat. night as well, pretty much exactly one mile from the Canal Club (went to the jampacked music festival on Brown's island).

2 minutes ago, apetersvt said:

Being from Richmond, I've been to this venue several times.  There is a a stage in the basement/1st floor and the main stage on the 2nd floor.  I've never noticed any issues with sound whenever I have been there so I will assume this was a one-time issue.  I was downtown Sat. night as well, pretty much exactly one mile from the Canal Club (went to the jampacked music festival on Brown's island).

I read some people commenting on it and they said the venues main speakers are set up on either side of the stage towards the middle. So, if you're up front it's harder to hear the vocals but in the middle everything sounds great. That makes sense since The Warning usually don't have any issues with the vocals being too low.