The Warning

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

So, they are currently on tour opening for Halestorm and The Pretty Reckless. Lzzy Hale is such a big fan of Dany that she came out during The Warning's set and gifted Dany a guitar that she used to play which she modified so Dany could use it. Here's a video showing a few different angles and a little bit of Dany playing it.

Okay they better break the mainstream now because that was the greatest "passing of the torch" moment I've seen in recent rock history. Beautiful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Okay they better break the mainstream now because that was the greatest "passing of the torch" moment I've seen in recent rock history. Beautiful.

Here's the full set from the show if you want to watch.

17 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

Halestorm/The Pretty Reckless/The Warning is a pretty killer bill. I have tickets to see TPR (headline show) next month. Another one of my favorite new(er) rock artists, Ayron Jones, is opening.

I wish I liked Halestorm and Pretty Reckless enough to have made the two hour drive to see them in Syracuse last week. But I didn't want to spend all that time and money just to see The Warning play a 40 minute set. I think I will wait until they headline before I see them live.

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

I wish I liked Halestorm and Pretty Reckless enough to have made the two hour drive to see them in Syracuse last week. But I didn't want to spend all that time and money just to see The Warning play a 40 minute set. I think I will wait until they headline before I see them live.

Halestorm I could take or leave. Lzzy is an incredible singer but their sound is pretty generic to me. TPR on the other hand I think are great -- at least, their newest album that came out last year is. Don't know their older stuff as well but the songwriting on the new album is really strong and Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron guest on one song and Tom Morello guests on another.

They are playing not too far away from me in Virginia on a Saturday night, the day after my birthday, and tickets are super cheap.

and I can't go

I already agreed to play a gig, in fact a paid gig, on that very same day, in Maryland, and it ends after The Warning starts well over an hour away. Dang it.

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

They are playing not too far away from me in Virginia on a Saturday night, the day after my birthday, and tickets are super cheap.

and I can't go

I already agreed to play a gig, in fact a paid gig, on that very same day, in Maryland, and it ends after The Warning starts well over an hour away. Dang it.

And they're playing the night before just another hour or two further away as the owner for The Pretty Reckless and Halestorm, and I'm free that night, except... The Warning go on at 6, and that is exactly the time I get off work. By the time I got there it'd probably already be halfway into the headliner's set. Dang.

6 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

and I can't go

Is that the show in Richmond? I think that's a headlining show for them. It's a show they had to reschedule from their tour earlier this year because Dany got sick and they had to cancel some of them.

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Is that the show in Richmond? I think that's a headlining show for them. It's a show they had to reschedule from their tour earlier this year because Dany got sick and they had to cancel some of them.

Yeah, it is. It's so close. I wish I hadn't already agreed to do this gig. The drummer would kill me if I backed out to see another show. Not literally but she'd never work with me again I'm certain.

17 minutes ago, thizzellewashington said:

Halestorm I could take or leave. Lzzy is an incredible singer but their sound is pretty generic to me. TPR on the other hand I think are great -- at least, their newest album that came out last year is. Don't know their older stuff as well but the songwriting on the new album is really strong and Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron guest on one song and Tom Morello guests on another.

From what I've heard, The Pretty Reckless are better. Lzzy is a great singer and an awesome person but yeah, Halestorm is a bit on the generic side for me. Especially lyrically. It's all stuff we've been hearing rock bands talk about for decades. That's one thing that makes The Warning so special. They actually have something to say in their songs.

• Like 1

I am legitimately going to be thinking about how much I wish I could see them right through my birthday, and then if that gig I have to play isn't magical I'm going to be regretting it until they announce their next tour.

Dang. Why did I foolishly not check if they were going on tour near me weeks ago? 

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

37 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

and I can't go

Congrats on the paid gig, anyway!  

3 minutes ago, blueschica said:

Congrats on the paid gig, anyway!  

Thanks! I am excited to check that off the proverbial bucket list. It's some kind of private wedding announcement and I'm just playing sax on a bunch of rnd and soul covers, but hey, 1st paid gig has a nice ring to it, and the musicians I get to play with are solid.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

And they're playing the night before just another hour or two further away as the owner for The Pretty Reckless and Halestorm, and I'm free that night, except... The Warning go on at 6, and that is exactly the time I get off work. By the time I got there it'd probably already be halfway into the headliner's set. Dang.

Can you ask to leave early that day? The Warning usually doesn't come on until 650. There's another band before them.

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Can you ask to leave early that day? The Warning usually doesn't come on until 650. There's another band before them.

I could potentially come in early and leave and hour early which gives me all of 1:50 to try to get from downtown DC to Portsmouth VA, which I think is more of a 3 hour kind of drive... Truth is I have another musical outing with this same band the next monday and I already got that day off so I could make it. Some kind of recording session that I'm really hoping to learn a lot at. So regardless of whether or not I have the time off built up, I don't think me asking for yet more time off in such a short window is gonna fly.

This is uncannily similar to something that happened to me a few months ago. I was in a band made up partially of some of my coworkers and we had a massive 4 hour farmers market gig on a saturday morning that we were underprepared for and a couple people didn't show up for. All in all not my favorite kind of live music to play. Then it turned out that the local sketching club I'm a part of through my office had a big trip to Baltimore for an architectural tour of the city scheduled that day and I couldn't sign up because I was already committed to this chaotic sub-par gig. A couple weeks later a left that band, that scenario having been a major reason why, and just a few weeks ago I discovered that Baltimore trip had actually been rescheduled for some reason and I was able to go.  Ironically, that band's next major gig was in fact the very same day as the real Baltimore architectural tour trip, and had I still been in the band I would've had to miss the trip for real. But instead of playing a subpar gig again, I got to visit a new city and see a whole bunch of incredible buildings and sketch a bit. 

So, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Since this is the second time a gig has gotten in the way of something I realized I'd rather be doing, I think I need to re-evualate what my standards are for gigs I commit to playing.  If there's a band in town that I'd rather see than play the gig, then I don't think that's something I aught to say yes to anymore.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Since you're such a big fan of Queen Of The Murder Scene, have you seen this? They played everything off the album at this show.

I haven’t! Maybe I’ll watch that on the 12th instead of going to actually see them live. :16ton:

EP, since you're a musician can you tell me if you're aware of this playing technique? For the song Error, Ale switches between playing the bass with her fingers and a pick. I honestly don't know if any other bass players do that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

EP, since you're a musician can you tell me if you're aware of this playing technique? For the song Error, Ale switches between playing the bass with her fingers and a pick. I honestly don't know if any other bass players do that.

Generally anymore any bass player worth their salt will be able to play well with either fingers or pick, as they’re known to give slightly different tones and most good bass players will want to be as versatile as possible. I would imagine that slight difference in tone from the fingers to the pick is why she switches it up right there. Pick will usually have a slightly harder edge to the front of each note, and fingers will usually feel a bit rounder. As for other bass players who do this mid song, I don’t think it’s terribly common. Most songs either call for one kind of tone or the other all the way through, and most bass players do have a strong preference which is how they usually play. Not to mention switching between pick and fingers mid song is an extra thing that could go wrong and mostly that kind of thing will be avoided love for that reason. 

HOWEVER, I do know of one significant example of a bass player who can do both, and does do both in the same song with a pretty nimble switch: Chris Wolstenholme of Muse. In the song Stockholm Syndrome, he plays the faster, nimbler verses with his fingers, but when the breakdown hits and it switches to the dreamy but actually heavier chorus, he switches to pick. I can’t seem to find a good video of it right now (most Muse videos like to stick the camera on Matt for at least half the runtime), but I’d bet 5 dollars that’s where Ale first saw it done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Generally anymore any bass player worth their salt will be able to play well with either fingers or pick, as they’re known to give slightly different tones and most good bass players will want to be as versatile as possible. I would imagine that slight difference in tone from the fingers to the pick is why she switches it up right there. Pick will usually have a slightly harder edge to the front of each note, and fingers will usually feel a bit rounder. As for other bass players who do this mid song, I don’t think it’s terribly common. Most songs either call for one kind of tone or the other all the way through, and most bass players do have a strong preference which is how they usually play. Not to mention switching between pick and fingers mid song is an extra thing that could go wrong and mostly that kind of thing will be avoided love for that reason. 

HOWEVER, I do know of one significant example of a bass player who can do both, and does do both in the same song with a pretty nimble switch: Chris Wolstenholme of Muse. In the song Stockholm Syndrome, he plays the faster, nimbler verses with his fingers, but when the breakdown hits and it switches to the dreamy but actually heavier chorus, he switches to pick. I can’t seem to find a good video of it right now (most Muse videos like to stick the camera on Matt for at least half the runtime), but I’d bet 5 dollars that’s where Ale first saw it done.

That makes sense since Muse is one of her favorite bands. I wasn't aware that any players would do that during a song until this video. I figured they would just stick with one way of playing for the entire song. Very interesting to see. There is a video of the band doing a Muse cover. I can't remember the song but it's an older video. I think it was maybe before or not too long after they released their first album. So, Ale would be like 11 years old at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That makes sense since Muse is one of her favorite bands. I wasn't aware that any players would do that during a song until this video. I figured they would just stick with one way of playing for the entire song. Very interesting to see. There is a video of the band doing a Muse cover. I can't remember the song but it's an older video. I think it was maybe before or not too long after they released their first album. So, Ale would be like 11 years old at the time.

I didn’t actually know they were Muse fans, I just kinda assumed based on the sound of the music, the power trio format, and the fact that they’re not from the US, where Muse have never been as big of a deal as most of the rest of the world. I’ll have to see if I can find that cover, I wonder what song it was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I didn’t actually know they were Muse fans, I just kinda assumed based on the sound of the music, the power trio format, and the fact that they’re not from the US, where Muse have never been as big of a deal as most of the rest of the world. I’ll have to see if I can find that cover, I wonder what song it was.

Ale and Dany always mention Muse when people ask them about their influences. I'm sure Pau likes them too but the other two mention Muse most of the time.

• Like 1