Bracket!!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. choose one

2. 2. choose one

3. 3. choose one

• Blue Öyster Cult
    • Black Sabbath
    • no choice

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnddd we're back! Here are the latest victors!

Poll 13:

Judas Priest - 7

Queen - 12

Queen advances

Poll 14:

Foo Fighters - 3

ZZ Top - 16

ZZ Top advances

Poll 15:

Blue Öyster Cult - 11

Alice In Chains - 6

Blue Öyster Cult advances

Poll 16:

Dream Theater - 4

Black Sabbath - 10

Black Sabbath advances

Poll 17:

Yes - 6

Pink Floyd - 8

Pink Floyd advances

Poll 18:

Steely Dan - 7

Thin Lizzy - 6

Steely Dan advances

Look forward to Floyd vs. Dan in the next thread, two very close matches leading up to it!

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Just now, Mosher said:

Didn't take my vote.

Hopefully a small glitch

I think it was doing this the other day when _hi_water_ made the first new poll after the Easter Weekend down period, so I'm guessing it's the same issue as it was then. I'm sure 73 is on it.

In the mean time, you can always post who you're planning on voting for! I'm voting Genesis, Queen, Sabbath. :cool:

I went 

Zep

Queen

B.O.C.

I doubt many will say BOC, and frankly I'm almost surprised myself.

Just now, Mosher said:

I went 

Zep

Queen

B.O.C.

I doubt many will say BOC, and frankly I'm almost surprised myself.

BOC vs BS makes decent sense from a purely musical standpoint. Two very unusually heavy bands for their time period, with highly respected discographies and very strong and somewhat weird identities (and plenty of killer riffs). From a reputation standpoint though... Sabbath are just going to win out.  Every metal band ever to play owes a great deal to Sabbath, and that's not an exaggeration. If BOC had also accidentally kickstarted an entire subgenre of music, perhaps the results would end up closer... both great bands though. Couldn't fault a vote either way if I tried!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

BOC vs BS makes decent sense from a purely musical standpoint. Two very unusually heavy bands for their time period, with highly respected discographies and very strong and somewhat weird identities (and plenty of killer riffs). From a reputation standpoint though... Sabbath are just going to win out.  Every metal band ever to play owes a great deal to Sabbath, and that's not an exaggeration. If BOC had also accidentally kickstarted an entire subgenre of music, perhaps the results would end up closer... both great bands though. Couldn't fault a vote either way if I tried!

I agree completely that all the metal I love owes far more to BS than anyone else.

The first sounds off the first album must have been staggering to hear at the time. Sabbath are more important to music overall. 

But I just like BOC more. I could never fault a Sabbath vote. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zepphead said:

For me ..... Zeppelin, Queen (easily) and Sabbath a bit closer.

Zeppelin didn't get an "(easily)" from you Zepphead?  :tongue:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

Surprised Led Zeppelin is stomping Genesis

I'm not. LZ is my prediction to win the whole thing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Zeppelin didn't get an "(easily)" from you Zepphead?  :tongue:

Hehehe .... poor typing on my part .... I was meaning Queen & Zeppelin easily!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:11 PM, invisible airwave said:

Zep

Queen

Sabbath

Clear winners, but I hate seeing Genesis getting the early exit.  I'd pick them over Queen.

Edited by stoopid

21 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I'm not. LZ is my prediction to win the whole thing.

The range of the material, the performances on the recordings, and the influence on so many heavy rock bands that followed is pretty much unmatched.  I'd give The Beatles the nod for pop music in general.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goose said:

The range of the material, the performances on the recordings, and the influence on so many heavy rock bands that followed is pretty much unmatched.  I'd give The Beatles the nod for pop music in general.

maybe they'd even beat rush if they were included in this bracket. i'm just voting based on what i prefer to listen to and nothing more than that personally, and genesis is responsible for some prog rock albums which are at the absolute peak of the genre 

page has written what are still some of my all-time favorite guitar riffs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

maybe they'd even beat rush if they were included in this bracket. i'm just voting based on what i prefer to listen to and nothing more than that personally, and genesis is responsible for some prog rock albums which are at the absolute peak of the genre 

page has written what are still some of my all-time favorite guitar riffs

I’m pretty sure Rush don’t lose in a general vote to any band on this site. Just enough people who don’t love LZ who are on this site theoretically because they love Rush. Not to mention those of us who love both but still choose Rush (like me)

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’m pretty sure Rush don’t lose in a general vote to any band on this site. Just enough people who don’t love LZ who are on this site theoretically because they love Rush. Not to mention those of us who love both but still choose Rush (like me)

If there was a setting that only allowed long-time members to vote i think it'd be close.

here'd be a good chance Rush might lose among MOTS regulars, but if the thread caught traffic from people who usually just regular the "rush" section of TRF it'd be over

In the first round, out of all the random selected bands, groups, and artists, it had to be between Judas Priest, and Queen.

Edited by Derek19