Well, that sucked.

Everything was going so well after we came back on Easter Sunday -- until we noticed our 80GB of storage was quickly and inexplicably filling to capacity. Considering the old board only took up about 40GB, this was something of a surprise. Something was generating gigabytes of files, to the tune of 10GB in our first 12 hours of operation. That's just silly. Clearly there was something weird left behind from the database conversion, but we couldn't figure it out at first because as soon as the storage hit its limit, the board shut down. We couldn't even put up status updates while we were doing repairs.

The disk being completely full also meant we also couldn't run our backup program yesterday, meaning we had to revert to the most recent backup we had which was from right before we reopened. So we lost that whole first day's posts. Better than losing everything, of course, but it still sucks.

There's a ton more detail, of course, but that's a barebones account of what happened.

Any new members who joined just after we re-opened will have to make another new account.

Those of you who had their post counts restored will have to re-submit their requests in this thread in RS.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Everything was going so well after we came back on Easter Sunday -- until we noticed our 80GB of storage was quickly and inexplicably filling to capacity. Considering the old board only took up about 40GB, this was something of a surprise. Something was generating gigabytes of files, to the tune of 10GB in our first 12 hours of operation. That's just silly. Clearly there was something weird left behind from the database conversion, but we couldn't figure it out at first because as soon as the storage hit its limit, the board shut down. We couldn't even put up status updates while we were doing repairs.

The disk being completely full also meant we also couldn't run our backup program yesterday, meaning we had to revert to the most recent backup we had which was from right before we reopened. So we lost that whole first day's posts. Better than losing everything, of course, but it still sucks.

There's a ton more detail, of course, but that's a barebones account of what happened.

Any new members who joined just after we re-opened will have to make another new account.

Those of you who had their post counts restored will have to re-submit their requests in this thread in RS.

tomb.jpg

Can the login cookie duration time value be increased? It seems like it expires sooner than before the software upgrade.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, JARG said:

Can the login cookie duration time value be increased? It seems like it expires sooner than before the software upgrade.

I need to find that setting. How much time do you think you have now before you have to log in again?

3 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I need to find that setting. How much time do you think you have now before you have to log in again?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the cookie expires after about 60 minutes. Previously the expire was very long -- I could stay logged in for days at a time if I didn't close the browser and/or log off from the site (I purge all cookies when I close my browser). I don't think we need to go back to that, so maybe expire after 12 hours?

Update: actually, the expire seems shorter than I previously thought, so now I'm thinking it's not a cookie issue, but maybe a session variable issue. Banks use session variables to automatically expire your session if you're inactive after a certain period of time -- maybe that's what's going on here?

Edited by JARG

4 hours ago, JARG said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the cookie expires after about 60 minutes. Previously the expire was very long -- I could stay logged in for days at a time if I didn't close the browser and/or log off from the site (I purge all cookies when I close my browser). I don't think we need to go back to that, so maybe expire after 12 hours?

Update: actually, the expire seems shorter than I previously thought, so now I'm thinking it's not a cookie issue, but maybe a session variable issue. Banks use session variables to automatically expire your session if you're inactive after a certain period of time -- maybe that's what's going on here?

You need to stay more active then.  Have you considered one of these??

toilet-computer-chair.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

14 hours ago, JARG said:

I changed a setting, let me know if you see a difference.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I changed a setting, let me know if you see a difference.

No change as far as I can tell. Thanks for trying.

16 minutes ago, JARG said:

No change as far as I can tell. Thanks for trying.

Are you clicking that Remember Me button when you log in? I have that enabled that on my phone and it's keeping me logged in, while on my desktop I left it unchecked and it logs me out all day.

4 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Are you clicking that Remember Me button when you log in? I have that enabled that on my phone and it's keeping me logged in, while on my desktop I left it unchecked and it logs me out all day.

When are you bringing the Professionals in?

5 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Wasn't clicking it (I don't think I clicked it in the old version, either), but that's done the trick. Thanks!

• Like 1

Notice everyone's avatars only say Member now instead of Long Awaited Froind and such.  Is that gone for good?

• Like 1