Reviews of Envy of None?

Weatherman

struggling with about half of the album but the other half is fantastic, where Al was born to evolve into, Enemy, Look Inside, Liar, Never Said I love You, have a few drinks you'll see why they so cool, western sunset a lovely tribute to neil

• Like 2

22 hours ago, treeduck said:

Let's get this out into the open: IT'S NOT HEAVY METAL ENOUGH! 

"I didn't like this romance novel because it's not a mystery novel."

• Like 1

Yep if we can all get over the fact that Alex isn’t carrying on with his usual Rush style riffs & solos , which has been , I admit , difficult for me , and is trying something a bit different , then with repeated plays it does indeed grow on you ! 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Yep if we can all get over the fact that Alex isn’t carrying on with his usual Rush style riffs & solos , which has been , I admit , difficult for me , and is trying something a bit different , then with repeated plays it does indeed grow on you ! 

Alex didn't play "Rush" on his other projects even when he was still in the band.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, Rush Didact said:

I really enjoyed the album.  It's different and creative and really well done.  It feels very much like a full band effort, rather than a solo album, like Victor did.

It gets better with each listen, actually.

Not sure if it's because it's the way I first heard it or not, but I think I prefer Kabul Blues as an instrumental. It's still good with vocals, but I like concentrating on the music too.

• Like 1

It's not for me, to be honest. I've definitely heard worse but just not really my style. I'd probably like it more if Al's guitar playing stood out more. I am happy that Al is still making music though.

I do like Western Sunset however, a very touching Neil tribute. I will revisit this album another time and maybe it'll grow on me more. Good for Al for branching out.

Edited by Charlotte7598

I’m really enjoying this album!  I posted previously, but it got deleted during the recent upgrade.  It’s a nice diversion for Alex, and I really like Maiah’s voice and the rest of the musician’s playing.  There seems to be some sneaky powerful parts hidden in the generally mellow vibe.  Example for me is the descending guitar line coming from the break back into the chorus on Never Said I Love You. I just love that part!!! 

On 5/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, ytserush said:

Not sure if it's because it's the way I first heard it or not, but I think I prefer Kabul Blues as an instrumental. It's still good with vocals, but I like concentrating on the music too.

I have the exact same feeling with Spy House. Just can’t get used to the vocals on that.  Although good, they sound “added” to me.  In contrast, I thought Maiah knocked it out of the park on Kabul Blues.  Very soulful and really added to the song on that one for me.  

Anyway, I’ve been listening to the iTunes version, and I bought the cd, so I’m looking forward to spinning it on a better sound system!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H to O said:

I’m really enjoying this album!  I posted previously, but it got deleted during the recent upgrade.  It’s a nice diversion for Alex, and I really like Maiah’s voice and the rest of the musician’s playing.  There seems to be some sneaky powerful parts hidden in the generally mellow vibe.  Example for me is the descending guitar line coming from the break back into the chorus on Never Said I Love You. I just love that part!!! 

I have the exact same feeling with Spy House. Just can’t get used to the vocals on that.  Although good, they sound “added” to me.  In contrast, I thought Maiah knocked it out of the park on Kabul Blues.  Very soulful and really added to the song on that one for me.  

Anyway, I’ve been listening to the iTunes version, and I bought the cd, so I’m looking forward to spinning it on a better sound system!  

Kabul Blues is probably my favorite on the album. I love the Middle Eastern feeling!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 3:01 PM, treeduck said:

Everything is metal! 

No, Duckworthy, everything is the Monkees.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:13 AM, H to O said:

I've listened probably 30 times now and I'm still discovering things in it that I didn't hear before. Maiah's vocals are great. She seems to know just what to do.

• Like 3