Reviews of Envy of None?

Weatherman

I enjoy the album overall. Many songs definitely have a 90s feel.

On several tracks, Maiah sounds like Sarah MacLachlan, or even Dolores Riordan of the Cranberries. I love her voice.

Alex: He's really stretching out here. I love to hear it. I'd always hoped he'd play in a different context. His artistry is evident here.

The only criticism: The bottom end can sound a bit sludgy. Grunge is dead; let's keep it that way.

Favorite tracks: Kabul Blues, Shadow

Least favorite: Western Sunset

What about you?

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like 1

trash-gif.gif

Wow, even you don't care for it?

Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, lol.

I gave it a fair listen, just not my cup of tea, I guess.

I did listen to it right after hearing the Aerosmith live release from 1971, which really cooked.

Could be one of those albums that you revisit later on and will resonate.

What are your thoughts on it?

I tried it but just not my cuppa tea.

I'll give it another go but I doubt if i will suddenly grow any fondness for it.

• Like 2

Well, I tried listening again and have given up on this.

From me, what it boils down to is -

a) If I didn't know that Alex was on it, and I started listening to it, would I give it the time of day? ...... No

b) Am I likely to rush out and buy it? ..... No

It stops here for me.

• Like 2

trash-gif.gif

Wow, even you don't care for it?

Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, lol.

I gave it a fair listen, just not my cup of tea, I guess.

I did listen to it right after hearing the Aerosmith live release from 1971, which really cooked.

Could be one of those albums that you revisit later on and will resonate.

What are your thoughts on it?

I think it's pretty boring and Alex is much better than this. The girl is a good singer and there's a couple decent songs but nothing stands out as must listen.

• Like 2

I like it a lot. It has a Florence/Evanescence/Paramore feel, and I like those bands, so, there you go. Alex doesn't have much of a presence. I love Maiah's voice. If you're buying it for Alex, don't. If you like the bands I mentioned, then you'll like it. And I love the final track
  • Like 1

I like it a lot. I also wish it was just a bit brighter sounding, but I think there are some damn fine songs on this record.
  • Like 3

It's a bit disappointing when you realise the nurses on the cover are not actually in the band...

What's with that young woman on the right? Her eyes look wonky. As for the album, it's not for me. This makes the second of 2 releases by an Alex helmed band that I haven't cared for at all. "Victor" was much different than this one but my dislike is the same.

It's a bit disappointing when you realise the nurses on the cover are not actually in the band...

What's with that young woman on the right? Her eyes look wonky. As for the album, it's not for me. This makes the second of 2 releases by an Alex helmed band that I haven't cared for at all. "Victor" was much different than this one but my dislike is the same.

Maybe drugs?

As for Alex, maybe Geddy wrote all the RUSH riffs and Alex is lost on his own? Or maybe he just ran out of ideas? Or maybe he just isn't motivated outside of RUSH?

On 4/14/2022 at 12:51 AM, Rush Didact said:

All the right people hate it, so I'll probably like it.

So do you like it then ? :wink:

( btw … I personally agree with quite a few of your posts , for example your appreciation of Power Windows :yes:

1 hour ago, lifeson90 said:

Loving Liar, look inside and Never Said I Love you. Great stuff and Al's influence really stand out

You’ve inspired me to give these tracks a good proper listen :th1245:

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 3:38 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

So do you like it then ? :wink:

( btw … I personally agree with quite a few of your posts , for example your appreciation of Power Windows :yes:

I actually do! I've only heard snippets of each song so far, but it was enough to make me buy it on vinyl.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:53 AM, Weatherman said:

I enjoy the album overall. Many songs definitely have a 90s feel.

On several tracks, Maiah sounds like Sarah MacLachlan, or even Dolores Riordan of the Cranberries. I love her voice.

Alex: He's really stretching out here. I love to hear it. I'd always hoped he'd play in a different context. His artistry is evident here.

The only criticism: The bottom end can sound a bit sludgy. Grunge is dead; let's keep it that way.

Favorite tracks: Kabul Blues, Shadow

Least favorite: Western Sunset

What about you?

Based on the limited sounds I heard during the interview, I don't get those comparisons at all, but I don't really listen to that stuff. I'll acquaint myself more to this on the weekend.