RIP Comic Gilbert Gottfried, 67

laughedatbytime

Gilbert Gottfried's skills as a stand up comedian were top tier. His ability to pick up on cues and improvise with the crowd made his material so much less important than his delivery. Gilbert could (and often did) entire sets of street jokes, and killed every time.

One of my favorites ever, and another gone too soon.

I hope Gilbert and Norm are up in heaven right now cracking jokes about muscular dystrophy again.

• Like 3

Gilbert Gottfried's skills as a stand up comedian were top tier. His ability to pick up on cues and improvise with the crowd made his material so much less important than his delivery. Gilbert could (and often did) entire sets of street jokes, and killed every time.

One of my favorites ever, and another gone too soon.

I hope Gilbert and Norm are up in heaven right now cracking jokes about muscular dystrophy again.

In the past seven months we lost Norm, Louie Anderson, and now Gilbert, all three gone too soon.

• Like 3

[About his infamous 9-11 joke]

It was a couple of days after September 11th, and people were booing and hissing, one guy yells out, "TOO SOON!".... which I thought meant that I didn't take a long enough pause between the set up and the punch line.....

....and then I figure, "Why not go to the bottom level of Hell and do the Aristocrats joke?"

• Like 2

Always enjoyed his stuff. He never seemed afraid of going too dark or awkward with his standup. He took chances with his humor and that's one of the things that helps make a great standup. In more recent years it didn't seem like he was in the spotlight too much anymore. Maybe being an established name he didn't really need to get as much shine as he used to. Still with Netflix having so many standup specials now, it would have been nice to have one more from him.

RIP

• Like 1

Always enjoyed his stuff. He never seemed afraid of going too dark or awkward with his standup. He took chances with his humor and that's one of the things that helps make a great standup.

He was in the class of Norm Macdonald, Bill Burr and a few other “on the edge” comedians. Serious laughter, but always at risk of creating “scandal”.

• Like 1

Always enjoyed his stuff. He never seemed afraid of going too dark or awkward with his standup. He took chances with his humor and that's one of the things that helps make a great standup.

He was in the class of Norm Macdonald, Bill Burr and a few other “on the edge” comedians. Serious laughter, but always at risk of creating “scandal”.

I'm amazed that they haven't cancelled Bill Burr yet. Maybe people like him too much.

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. In some of the classic movies he was in, and material did as a stand up comedian, he was funny. He will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, and sympathies to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Gilbert. Edited by Derek19

RIP, Gilbert. He was so good hosting the Up All Night show, which was schlocky B movies on USA network with his comments and skits in between. He was hilarious! You will be missed, Gilbert. :rose:
  • Like 1

I'm amazed that they haven't cancelled Bill Burr yet. Maybe people like him too much.

Because he's equal opportunity. He's not extreme woke but he's not fond of deplorables either. I'm surprised Lewis Black hasn't been cancelled for being too boomer-ish. I'm an elder "xennial" millennial and he puts some younger than me to shame.

Because he's equal opportunity. He's not extreme woke but he's not fond of deplorables either. I'm surprised Lewis Black hasn't been cancelled for being too boomer-ish. I'm an elder "xennial" millennial and he puts some younger than me to shame.

Lewis Black still does standup? I feel like it's been a long time since I heard anything about him.

Edited by J2112YYZ

For Gilbert Gottfried, no joke was "too soon", and for a good reason.

You can do jokes about the Lincoln assassination and the Titanic, and no one says anything because everyone involved is dead, and their grandchildren are dead. I actually think that’s in worse taste. You’re saying, ‘Screw all those people who died, I waited for it to become unimportant to us.’ When I do a joke about September 11, or the Japanese tsunami, what’s funny is that it shocks the audience. They are responding to the fact that it’s tragic, and you’re acknowledging it.” [2-2016]

I’ve always said tragedy and comedy are roommates. Wherever tragedy’s around, comedy’s a few feet behind them, sticking his tongue out and making obscene gestures. When you go to a funeral, the guy at the podium will say embarrassing stories about the guy in the box, and people will laugh. People lean over to the person sitting next to them with a smirk on their face, and the other person will hold their hands over their face like, "Oh, I shouldn’t be laughing at this." [9-2019]

Gilbert, you left us too soon.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2