Alex and Envy of None are selling a bunch of stuff to benefit UN Ukraine Emergency Response

blueschica

1 grand to talk with Lerxst? Maybe a decade ago. Sorry... no more Rush? No more heavy $$$.

I'm sure that if I asked if he was going t o get with Geds he'd either provide a generic maybe answer, or bullshit entirely. That's all I'd want to know, and that knowledge isn't worth 10 Franklins in any timeline.

I love the memory of Rush, and I hope to f**k that Ged and Lerxst get together at some point. But f**k If I'm going to pay to talk to a band, even if it is them. Maybe...maybe if they were together. And that's a big if.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

1 grand to talk with Lerxst? Maybe a decade ago. Sorry... no more Rush? No more heavy $$$.

I'm sure that if I asked if he was going t o get with Geds he'd either provide a generic maybe answer, or bullshit entirely. That's all I'd want to know, and that knowledge isn't worth 10 Franklins in any timeline.

I love the memory of Rush, and I hope to f**k that Ged and Lerxst get together at some point. But f**k If I'm going to pay to talk to a band, even if it is them. Maybe...maybe if they were together. And that's a big if.

I was thinking along the same lines. Getting a ticket to Geddy's Bass book signing was cool (it was 99.00 plus that included the book) because that was most of a day with other Rush fans and it was a cool experience. A $1000.00 Zoom call after sitting through a bunch in the pandemic- not so much, although it appeals in a way. If it were also $99.00 I would do it immediately though!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I bought the CD. I'm good, thanks. ;)

• Like 1

Ok, I will buy the zoom chat.. I use my savings money for it.. a chat with Alex freaking Lifeson.. I do it!

Wow! If you do it, it will be a cool experience for you, Zumbi! Try to remember everything and report back to us! :)

• Like 1

Ok, I will buy the zoom chat.. I use my savings money for it.. a chat with Alex freaking Lifeson.. I do it!

Remember you'll be talking to the whole band, not just Alex. And hey, you can actually invite three other friends to join you on the call! I've always been your best friend, haven't I? :)

• Like 1

Wow! If you do it, it will be a cool experience for you, Zumbi! Try to remember everything and report back to us! :)

Remember you'll be talking to the whole band, not just Alex. And hey, you can actually invite three other friends to join you on the call! I've always been your best friend, haven't I? :)

I was not really being serious :P

I would pay that price to met Alex face to face and talk to him for real..but only video chat? Noway!

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

A few points, which might raise some hackles:

I understand the intention behind raising funds to "aid Ukraine refugees" during this conflict. Who can argue with that premise?

That said, who can guarantee this money will actually reach those in need? After all, corruption in Ukraine is broadly recognized as among the worst globally. 

Alex has Serbian heritage, so it seems a bit odd why he (or perhaps his record company) would side with the Ukrainian side in this conflict. Serbia and Russia undeniably have longstanding historical and cultural ties, as shown most vividly in the Yugoslav wars. More recently, Serbia and Russia have maintained constructive relations, agreeing to continue oil imports at a VERY low price via pipeline. This will ensure Serbia's economic survival while most of the rest of the EU commits economic seppuku

Clearly, the Candian government is extremely pro-Ukrainian (look into Freeland's background). So although it makes sense from a PR standpoint, I don't get why Alex or his record company feels a need to get involved in this $hitshow.

Political pressure to toe the political line is clearly immense in Canda and the US nowadays. And it will probably continue for a couple more months until Russia's military victory is undeniable. That said, I'm not longer shocked by whatever involvement the Canadian or US governments have in world affairs nowadays. 

I saw the newsletter, great fundraising idea but not for me. But dear to Alex's heart to be sure, great initiative.

My sister is hosting a family that arrives next week, in Edmonton. It was a very long and detailed process but is finally happening.

Lots of friends and family sending money and links for things like getting a library card, applying for this and that, finding social clubs to join - a tonne of work!

• Like 2

Wow, hats off to your sister! That is very admirable. Our church is sponsoring an Afghan family whose dad was a military translator for the US troops. You're right, there were a lot of details to deal with; that is so great your sister's family and community are pitching in. Our Afghan family is doing well though and are grateful to have gotten out. 

• Like 1

I donated for the autographed vinyl but not the zoom chat, because I just can’t afford to donate that much, not because I think it’s an unworthy cause or not worth it for a zoom call with the band.  Yes it is the entire band, not just Alex, but 30 minutes of sitting there chatting about whatever you feel like is actually a very long time unless you have a written list of stuff you must ask about—I’ve sat with Chris Cornell in his dressing room alone except for the person I brought along, twice, and each time was only about 5-15 minutes, and luckily he was chatty.  Alex is also chatty and funnier than hell—I assume 30 minutes with the band is going to prominently feature his antics and be well worth a donation like that.

• Like 2