Eric Johnson

Eric was the last show I saw before covid shut everything up, and I have a special place for him in my heart, since I listened to his albums Venus Isle, Tones and Ah! Via Musicom A LOT when I was graduating from college. Now he has not one, but TWO albums in the bag, to be released on July 29th: The Book of Making and Yesterday Meets Today. I can't wait for it, and I hope I get a chance to interview him!
  • Like 2

Eric was the last show I saw before covid shut everything up, and I have a special place for him in my heart, since I listened to his albums Venus Isle, Tones and Ah! Via Musicom A LOT when I was graduating from college. Now he has not one, but TWO albums in the bag, to be released on July 29th: The Book of Making and Yesterday Meets Today. I can't wait for it, and I hope I get a chance to interview him!

When did you first get into the music of Eric Johnson?

I hope I get a chance to interview him!

Eric, are you sick of playing Cliffs of Dover? :16ton:

• Like 2

I became aware of Eric when Tones was a new record. It was in the "Play Me" bin at the college radio station, so I played it on my show.

What a gem the record is. Every song just makes me feel good and brings me back to that time.

• Like 1

I'll add this to this thread because I think Gillis and Watson have something in common with Johnson, ie they're f***ing good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoY6l5mp8G8

Is that what they all have in common? That all three are really good guitarists? Bit of a stretch, eh? If you want to name someone that shares some stylistic similarities with Johnson, Joe Bonamassa is an obvious first choice.

• Like 1

I'll add this to this thread because I think Gillis and Watson have something in common with Johnson, ie they're f***ing good!

Is that what they all have in common? That all three are really good guitarists? Bit of a stretch, eh? If you want to name someone that shares some stylistic similarities with Johnson, Joe Bonamassa is an obvious first choice.

No an actual nearer choice would be this guy:

No an actual nearer choice would be this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynj1pPCn28c

Lane is definitely in the conversation, especially in his songwriting and rhythm playing, though to my ears his soloing sounds like a combo of EJ, Holdsworth and Di Meola (the rapid-fire picking), and Lane himself. That's a real good tune there.

But Bonamassa still wins the Most Influenced By Eric Johnson Award. But don't take my word for it...

• Like 1

This has always been my favorite Eric Johnson piece. It appears on the 1988 album Guitar Speak, which was a compilation of several different guitarists, including Steve Howe and Alvin Lee. It also appears on Eric's Live From Austin City Limits album.

• Like 2

I became aware of Eric when Tones was a new record. It was in the "Play Me" bin at the college radio station, so I played it on my show.

What a gem the record is. Every song just makes me feel good and brings me back to that time.

I had a blush with college radio (Binghamton U), but it was more REM and Fugazi than prog/instrumental rock.

Johnson's a beast and I should like his style more than I perhaps do, but certainly tons of respect for his talent. I've only ever owned Ah Via Musicom, but Youtube has introduced me to more in random suggestions (algorithm rabbit holes I've been chased down). The G3 tour was also an excellent, complimentary showcase of his abilities. I may still have a copy of the G3 live disc from back whenever that was.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Ah Via Musicom just hits me in the feels and creates a wave of nostalgia. My girlfriend in high school made me a tape of it, and I would listen to it during late night drives from her house to mine. And really, it’s the songs he sings on that have stuck with me the most. Desert Rose especially. Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Subtle "I don't care so much about Eric Johnson right now, this is who's better" post.

Not all that subtle, really. Ducky is the undisputed king of posting videos of The Guitarist That I'm Really Into Right Now Even Though This Thread Is About a Totally Unrelated Player. :P

Subtle "I don't care so much about Eric Johnson right now, this is who's better" post.

Not all that subtle, really. Ducky is the undisputed king of posting videos of The Guitarist That I'm Really Into Right Now Even Though This Thread Is About a Totally Unrelated Player. :P

I never did such a thing. :o

This has always been my favorite Eric Johnson piece. It appears on the 1988 album Guitar Speak, which was a compilation of several different guitarists, including Steve Howe and Alvin Lee. It also appears on Eric's Live From Austin City Limits album.

http://youtu.be/ezbLcfB7QvU

I forgot about this one. Some real nice changes in there. Great to hear it again.

• Like 1

I saw Eric open for Rush on one of the shows I saw on the Roll The Bones tour (in Pittsburgh). I was really into Ah Via Musicom and Tones. Brilliant guitarist and a great band with him. However, after that, I didn't really care for Venus Isle(?) or whatever it was called; too "adult contemporary" for my tastes. I missed the jamming and rocking of the earlier efforts. He never really caught my ear after that. Surely still a brilliant player - but I really need a band effort and strong material.
  • Like 2

EJ is one of my top 3 favorite guitarists. I've seen him 8 times, met him a few, and absolutely cherish every song he has ever released. I will admit that I had not heard him until Ah Via Musicom was released, but instantly purchased Tones, and the rest is history. Very excited for the 2 album release this summer.

I'm currently sitting on front row tickets for his new tour that's been postponed twice.

• Like 1

EJ is one of my top 3 favorite guitarists. I've seen him 8 times, met him a few, and absolutely cherish every song he has ever released. I will admit that I had not heard him until Ah Via Musicom was released, but instantly purchased Tones, and the rest is history. Very excited for the 2 album release this summer.

I'm currently sitting on front row tickets for his new tour that's been postponed twice.

You're gonna love his two albums, man!!!!

• Like 1