What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

I might have to drop one of elcectve classes at school to get into a math support class

Well, if you believe what general concensus says, females are 'weak' in math and the sciences, so I'd make the change, and put your efforts into the 'help' class.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20Robin%20Hood.gif

In these parts, Mayra and x1yyz show that that kind of consensus is bs.

But yeah, take the Help class, put the phone down in class, participate, and study.

General concensus is what I said, but I NEVER said it was CORRECT. I know a TON of females, [in my family, yet!] that were GREAT at MATH AND SCIENCE. But! SCIENCE was used to come up with the generalization, and it IS never-the-less TRUE in a general way. Just encouraging her to pursue help in this area. :banana:

I might have to drop one of elcectve classes at school to get into a math support class

Well, if you believe what general concensus says, females are 'weak' in math and the sciences, so I'd make the change, and put your efforts into the 'help' class.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Banana%20Robin%20Hood.gif

This might make it worse, but I'm about 30 years older than GotNeilPeart? and I'm useless at maths. When I was her age, I nearly blew up the chemistry lab with a beaker, a metal spoon and gawd knew what the clear liquid was...

In General, the concensus found their behavior stats. I tend to think that Statisics, in general, are what 'Mark Twain' espoused they were. One of the THREE TYPES of LIES. "Lies, DAMNED Lies, and STATISTICS" or so I've heard. it comes down you the individual. Maybe more females didn't care as much about those subjects than males did. Sorry to hear your experience was awful, Babycat! I LOVED Chemistry class! And went all the way up to Calculus...Never finished my college level Physics though...[sheldon would be SOOOOO insensed!]

:banana:

Aaaaaaaaaaand I never said that you said it was correct.

Mentioning that consensus thought (and that's all it is) is a bit pointless and corners females into thinking they're naturally weaker in certain areas.

Also, "consensus" as I know it is an agreed upon opinion. This site thinks the same:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/consensus?s=t

So basically a consensus agrees that (x) is (insert comparative adjective here) than (y) in (insert subject).

Yeah, I don't see any science involved unless you include taking a poll or voting as a science.

If there is any reason females are thought to be bad at math and science it is because some people tell girls that those subjects are hard and that they cannot handle them. It's a self-perpetuating, untrue myth. Studies have been shown that male and female teachers alike tend to push boys into the realm of science and math while simultaneously pushing girls away.
  • Like 4

WOAH. And, no. Females are NOT weak in math or science. Any belief, "consensus" or otherwise, to the contrary is pure crap, perpetuated my centuries-old mistaken beliefs that women are lesser creatures with inferior intelligence. People of both sexes can be great (or lousy) at math or at science. If a person, any person, needs help to understand a subject then so be it! It's better to get help and understand something than to not understand and fail. (It is even worse to revel in the fact you are lousy at a subject, but that's a whole other discussion there.)

Signed,

A female scientist

I'm just relating my experience. The 'consensus' is what is out there, and when I was in school, there were just as many girls in the math and science classes as boys. I generally take consensus stuff with a grain of salt, and this is only an attempt to get 74 to keep up the fight, and 'prove the consensus WRONG'...

Ok, the heck with it. I don't argue, so, I'm not going to 'explain' myself any more. It's tedious, and makes me more inclined to become a HERMIT

Migraine and bloody nose. :smash:

I HATE when that happens!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/wishnik%20banana.jpg

So do I. Apart from the migraine (which I've never had), I completely sympathise with Dweezil about the bloody nose: I only have to sneeze and 'whoosh!' It doesn't always happen, but when it does, by crikey! :o

Whoa! My bloody nose episodes are a recent thing but thankfully infrequent. Hope yours settles down!

My oldest niece had problems with this in her youth.... :banana:

I have a final draft due tomorrow for my English composition class, and I'm procrastinating. It's mostly done, anyway. I just don't wanna get up.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine has a two-year-old who doesn't speak, and she just found out that her insurance will not cover speech therapy for him because it's a developmental delay. She says that the insurance covers rehabilitation for people who have lost their ability to speak, but not habilitation for developmentally delayed children. And she makes just a little too much money to qualify for state aid, but, of course, not enough to pay for it out of her own pocket.

A friend of mine has a two-year-old who doesn't speak, and she just found out that her insurance will not cover speech therapy for him because it's a developmental delay. She says that the insurance covers rehabilitation for people who have lost their ability to speak, but not habilitation for developmentally delayed children. And she makes just a little too much money to qualify for state aid, but, of course, not enough to pay for it out of her own pocket.

Life can SUCK. Sorry to hear this, it's just something we all have to put up with sometimes. :banana:

• Like 1

Aw...... :( :hug2:

I guess I am going to fail math class this year. So unfair.

I go after school to get help and I still do not understand. I even watch videos online and I still do not understand.

And what makes it worse is that my math teacher gives out 100,200, and 300 point tests.

Edited by GotNeilPeart?

I go after school to get help and I still do not understand. I even watch videos online and I still do not understand.

And what makes it worse is that my math teacher gives out 100,200, and 300 point tests.

Well, you're only a month or so into the school year. I think saying you're going to fail the class is a bit premature. A lot can change between now and June of next year.

I never got math either. Years later, I was told by a co-worker that there is a really easy way to teach it but not all teachers use it. When he explained the method to me, it did make sense and it sounded like I could have understood math if it had been taught to me that way.

Of course now that I bring that up, I can't remember for the life of me what the guy said. All I know is that it made sense to me at the time.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Well, you're only a month or so into the school year. I think saying you're going to fail the class is a bit premature. A lot can change between now and June of next year.

I never got math either. Years later, I was told by a co-worker that there is a really easy way to teach it but not all teachers use it. When he explained the method to me, it did make sense and it sounded like I could have understood math if it had been taught to me that way.

Of course now that I bring that up, I can't remember for the life of me what the guy said. All I know is that it made sense to me at the time.

What HE said. I never had a problem with math until the Calculus stage when they introduced 'imaginary' numbers and sh*t like that. Is there anyone you can talk to about some other tutorage possibilities?

[73,add tutorage to your dictionary. :) ]

What kind of math are you doing?

Intergrated 2. It is so hard.

So, integrated as in Algebra/Geometry/Trig all mixed together? (Back in my day we had those all as separate subjects :codger: )

• Like 1

So, integrated as in Algebra/Geometry/Trig all mixed together? (Back in my day we had those all as separate subjects :codger: )

Yeah. It is so hard and I do not why they have to do it like that here.

Whatever the case, there's nothing you can do about WHY they do it the way they do.

I found Trig to be tough. Algebra was ok and Geometry was reasonably easy but I had to stay on top of both of those subjects. Mainly though, it's soooooo early in the year to be giving up.

Oh, I'm not sure what you think is "unfair". Failing sucks. But what or where's the unfair part?

If you BELIEVE you're going to fail this early in the year, you will. You're what, 10%, 15%, 20% into the school year? Again, it's TOO early to be this negative. You've just begun.

• Like 1

Whatever the case, there's nothing you can do about WHY they do it the way they do.

I found Trig to be tough. Algebra was ok and Geometry was reasonably easy but I had to stay on top of both of those subjects. Mainly though, it's soooooo early in the year to be giving up.

Oh, I'm not sure what you think is "unfair". Failing sucks. But what or where's the unfair part?

If you BELIEVE you're going to fail this early in the year, you will. You're what, 10%, 15%, 20% into the school year? Again, it's TOO early to be this negative. You've just begun.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, stop using your phone in class, stop listening to music, stop everything you are doing except for concentrating on the teacher and on your work. If you do not stop these distractions then it will be 100% your fault if you fail.

• Like 3

Also, if you haven't done so yet, stop using your phone in class, stop listening to music, stop everything you are doing except for concentrating on the teacher and on your work. If you do not stop these distractions then it will be 100% your fault if you fail.

My son was in an integrated class last year for his 8th grade year. It was horrible, horribly taught and horribly organized. No building off anything, just throw out a new unit before anyone had completely learned the old. My husband would spend hours trying to understand what he was learning and how to convey it to my son (and he's an engineer!) My son stayed after school for tutoring, went to homework help, and we got a tutor for him to come once a week. He passed with a low 'C' but he passed. Thank god he's in an algebra class this year that's well taught and organized...he understand what he's doing and is a lot happier (about that at least).

Don't give up, GNP. Can your parents get you a once a week tutor to talk you through some of the problems you don't understand? Typically they cost between 20-40 dollars a session. Have them try Wyzant.com if you're interested. You can find a local tutor to your area that suits your needs.

Don't give up though. I got so frustrated in high school that I dropped out of algebra. It caused me a world of hurt later when I had to work my way up from rock bottom (uncredited classes) to get the credit I needed to get into the university I wanted to attend. A year and a half at community college taking uncredited courses to get to the point I would've been had I not dropped out of the high school math class I needed. Ugh.

Don't give up though. I got so frustrated in high school that I dropped out of algebra. It caused me a world of hurt later when I had to work my way up from rock bottom (uncredited classes) to get the credit I needed to get into the university I wanted to attend. A year and a half at community college taking uncredited courses to get to the point I would've been had I not dropped out of the high school math class I needed. Ugh.

Yup, that happened with me as well. I couldn't remember any of my freshman year algebra so I ended up having to take something like 5 or 6 math classes at the community college to prepare myself for the calculus I needed at university. (But hey, those classes got me an AS degree in Science and Mathematics, so it wasn't all bad :D )

Makes no sense. When I was in school you didn't even take that kind of math unless you were already really good at the normal math stuff.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

My boss that being a total bitch. She is complaining that I am working to slow even tho I give my all. She is also telling me not to listen to music while Im working. She says I cant focus on my work. But its just the opposite. Im working better when I listen to music.

She also says that people at my work place have been complaining about hearing music from my headphones. Even though I only got low volume and standing at same place all day. Fuccking whore bitch!

• Like 1

My boss that being a total bitch. She is complaining that I am working to slow even tho I give my all. She is also telling me not to listen to music while Im working. She says I cant focus on my work. But its just the opposite. Im working better when I listen to music.

She also says that people at my work place have been complaining about hearing music from my headphones. Even though I only got low volume and standing at same place all day. Fuccking whore bitch!

Oooooohhh Zu Zu.