What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

I took my van (16 years old and just turned 200,000 miles) down the street to the gas station as I typically do each morning just get a drink and a coffee for my wife. When I got back and parked in the driveway I got out and noticed water pouring from under the engine area :rage: . I have had issues with retaining coolant/water for a couple years now and have had the radiator replaced and some hoses etc but have seen nothing like this. I had AAA come this morning and tow it to my repair shop and am now holding my breath for the bad news. We survived with one vehicle for a long time until just recently but truth be told I really don't want to go back to that arrangement again if at all possible. There is no way I could justify dumping a bunch of money into that van at this point and truth is I don't have it anyway. We'll see soon how this shakes out. It's always something... :sigh:

Maybe it's just a hose.

Yes, I hope it's just something simple. They made those vans well back then, they can run a long time! Ours finally rusted out last year, it was 20 yrs. old and had 250,000 + miles on it. The engine was still running well but our garage guy told us the body was about to collapse everywhere and no way would it pass PA state inspection. :( Good luck.

I know these vans and all around under the hood very well. Previous to this van we had a Grand Caravan for many years too. All of these vans have the same parts and engines etc. I have changed many a engine part and other things on both of them in the past so I know my way around under the hood. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement but there are no hoses or anything else in the area where that water was coming from. I didn't go under and check because I just don't have "it" anymore to do so and even if I figured out the problem I can no longer do the repairs myself anyway :( . We shall see. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst... :)

I'm sorry, my friend and I'm hoping this is just a minor issue.

• Like 1

I took my van (16 years old and just turned 200,000 miles) down the street to the gas station as I typically do each morning just get a drink and a coffee for my wife. When I got back and parked in the driveway I got out and noticed water pouring from under the engine area :rage: . I have had issues with retaining coolant/water for a couple years now and have had the radiator replaced and some hoses etc but have seen nothing like this. I had AAA come this morning and tow it to my repair shop and am now holding my breath for the bad news. We survived with one vehicle for a long time until just recently but truth be told I really don't want to go back to that arrangement again if at all possible. There is no way I could justify dumping a bunch of money into that van at this point and truth is I don't have it anyway. We'll see soon how this shakes out. It's always something... :sigh:

Maybe it's just a hose.

Yes, I hope it's just something simple. They made those vans well back then, they can run a long time! Ours finally rusted out last year, it was 20 yrs. old and had 250,000 + miles on it. The engine was still running well but our garage guy told us the body was about to collapse everywhere and no way would it pass PA state inspection. :( Good luck.

I know these vans and all around under the hood very well. Previous to this van we had a Grand Caravan for many years too. All of these vans have the same parts and engines etc. I have changed many a engine part and other things on both of them in the past so I know my way around under the hood. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement but there are no hoses or anything else in the area where that water was coming from. I didn't go under and check because I just don't have "it" anymore to do so and even if I figured out the problem I can no longer do the repairs myself anyway :( . We shall see. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst... :)

Maybe it's the water pump. You said you just had a new radiator put in, so I don't know how it could be that already, unless they put an old one in and charged you for a new one. My husband could fix it for you for the cost of parts, but ....

I have replaced the water pump on that van before and on my Caravan before it breathed it's final breath. The water pump is toward the left bottom side of the engine with the serpentine belt wound through it and believe me I have seen water leak from a water pump or two and this water is coming from under the middle of the engine and a ways back. Anyway I will update when I finally get the call from the mechanic as to the problem. Thanks again for caring enough to comment and help... :cheers: :hug2:

Was it making any kind of sound?

Thats usually how you know they are bad.

Edited by troutman

Maybe it's just a hose.

Maybe it's the water pump. You said you just had a new radiator put in, so I don't know how it could be that already, unless they put an old one in and charged you for a new one. My husband could fix it for you for the cost of parts, but ....

I have replaced the water pump on that van before and on my Caravan before it breathed it's final breath. The water pump is toward the left bottom side of the engine with the serpentine belt wound through it and believe me I have seen water leak from a water pump or two and this water is coming from under the middle of the engine and a ways back. Anyway I will update when I finally get the call from the mechanic as to the problem. Thanks again for caring enough to comment and help... :cheers: :hug2:

No. It was running fine...
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just a hose.

Yeah,

It will leak at first. But after a while It will start to make a noise when it is getting really bad.

Maybe it's just a hose.

Yeah,

It will leak at first. But after a while It will start to make a noise when it is getting really bad.

Quick update. I had a feeling that this was all it was... The freeze plug on the engine block had corroded and was leaking profusely. These plugs typically blow when the engine (if there is water in there) freezes and expands and the plug blows to save the block from cracking. It happen 40 or so years to me and my original car the old Maverick but it was about 10 degrees outside when it happened. The damage is 190.00 to fix it which all in all could have been worse... :)
  • Like 3

Maybe it's just a hose.

Yeah,

Quick update. I had a feeling that this was all it was... The freeze plug on the engine block had corroded and was leaking profusely. These plugs typically blow when the engine (if there is water in there) freezes and expands and the plug blows to save the block from cracking. It happen 40 or so years to me and my original car the old Maverick but it was about 10 degrees outside when it happened. The damage is 190.00 to fix it which all in all could have been worse... :)

Further update. Just got a call and another one of the freeze plugs is messed up and leaking. 220.00 now... :|

Depression.

Had a bad panic attack before I had to do some public speaking tonight. (The two weren't connected). Absolutely, 100% wrecked emotionally, but I pulled myself together and was able to convince everyone I was in a splendid mood.

Cupcake please.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Depression.

Had a bad panic attack before I had to do some public speaking tonight. (The two weren't connected). Absolutely, 100% wrecked emotionally, but I pulled myself together and was able to convince everyone I was in a splendid mood.

Cupcake please.

Segue, most would have crawled up in a ball and rolled into a corner. Congrats to you for having a will strong enough to pull yourself together. :hug2:

• Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

What do you take for anxiety or panic attacks if anything if you don't mind me asking?...
  • Like 2

Depression.

Cupcake please.

What do you take for anxiety or panic attacks if anything if you don't mind me asking?...

:digi: :D

Depression.

Cupcake please.

At the moment, nothing. I came off them. But I have trigger points to avoid, and somehow I couldn't today.

My heart feels like someone punched a hole in my chest and is gripping it firmly. Came home and just crashed in bed, this forum is a sweet escape but in reality I am numb.

• Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

At the moment, nothing. I came off them. But I have trigger points to avoid, and somehow I couldn't today.

My heart feels like someone punched a hole in my chest and is gripping it firmly. Came home and just crashed in bed, this forum is a sweet escape but in reality I am numb.

Why don't you listen to some music that lifts you up and try to relax?

• Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

Why don't you listen to some music that lifts you up and try to relax?

I am, it feels nice!

Just one of those days.

• Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

Good for you. I couldn't do it at this point I don't think. I feel bad enough already and don't ever want to feel the way I did a year and a half ago ever again... :cheers: friend
  • Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

Good for you. I couldn't do it at this point I don't think. I feel bad enough already and don't ever want to feel the way I did a year and a half ago ever again... :cheers: friend

I know what you mean. For months, that numbness meds provide was heaven. But I had a lot of side effects going on and I cannot work like I need too long term with that lethargy.

But you keep on going! I will never encourage anyone to ever quit their meds, or imply I am in the right because I came off. I am still I'll after all haha

• Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

I know what you mean. For months, that numbness meds provide was heaven. But I had a lot of side effects going on and I cannot work like I need too long term with that lethargy.

But you keep on going! I will never encourage anyone to ever quit their meds, or imply I am in the right because I came off. I am still I'll after all haha

I'm cool with the lethargy at almost 55 years old. I would rather be lethargic at this point than in the emergency room. I never want to work again anyway and honestly don't think I can feeling the way I do day to day. Just hoping some other folks feel the same way and soon because I do need money... :)
  • Like 1

Depression.

Cupcake please.

Good for you,

Try and stay off the stuff and see how your body reacts in a natural way.

• Like 2

Depression.

Cupcake please.

From all I have read, you did the right thing. Psycho meds mess you up bad.

• Like 2

Depression.

Cupcake please.

Good for you,

Try and stay off the stuff and see how your body reacts in a natural way.

Days like this aside, so far so good! Thanks!

• Like 2

Depression.

Cupcake please.

I will not lie: I needed them last year.

OCD fuelled my depression, and the same vice versa, to the point I almost self-destructed completely. It just so happens I have a fun mindset, that leaning towards crazy humour really helps!

• Like 2

Depression.

Cupcake please.

I will not lie: I needed them last year.

OCD fuelled my depression, and the same vice versa, to the point I almost self-destructed completely. It just so happens I have a fun mindset, that leaning towards crazy humour really helps!

Try and work through it,

I know its tough but Lorraine is right. JMO but so many types of meds will not be a good thing in the long run.

• Like 2

How long ago did they put you on drugs?

I've had three breakdowns in six years. I have been on and off all that time. Each time the drugs are stronger. Each time I fight that much harder.

Everyday I learn more and more how to live, love and think in a way that helps me grow. Even bad days like today, I find away to disbelieve all my irrational thinking, and telling myself I am wrong every single time helps me get past it.

It really is like swimming against the current, but never mind. Such is life, and I always remind myself that to be helped, I also need to help.

• Like 3