What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

2 hours ago, grep said:

Congratulating those who won on imposing a misery, in context, that hasn't been seen in the US in nearly 50 years.  That's not condescending, it's saying that a price will be paid for the moral victory. 

I'm not sure what price you're referring to, but it's hard to imagine a price that in exchange for saving tens or hundreds of thousands of lives per year, isn't worth paying.

3 hours ago, goose said:

As to the decision, it will be interesting to see how states respond.  Most of Europe has legalized abortion, but it is highly restricted after the first trimesterhttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Europe#:~:text=95% of European patients of,is illegal or severely restricted.

Oh the tweets from these leaders in Europe with no sense of irony.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

I'm not sure what price you're referring to, but it's hard to imagine a price that in exchange for saving tens or hundreds of thousands of lives per year, isn't worth paying.

The price of a bus ticket from Oklahoma to Colorado?

4 hours ago, goose said:

As to the decision, it will be interesting to see how states respond.  Most of Europe has legalized abortion, but it is highly restricted after the first trimester: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Europe#:~:text=95% of European patients of,is illegal or severely restricted.

This is the really crazy thing.  The US is in a small group of countries which allowed abortion until birth (with Vietnam, North Korea, and China).  Striking down Roe and Casey doesn’t change that…it merely allows some states to choose to take a different approach which will put them more in line with the rest of the democracies in the world.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LedRush said:

This is the really crazy thing.  The US is in a small group of countries which allowed abortion until birth (with Vietnam, North Korea, and China).  Striking down Roe and Casey doesn’t change that…it merely allows some states to choose to take a different approach which will put them more in line with the rest of the democracies in the world.  

NY and CA are a lot closer to being governed like China and North Korea so I think that's probably appropriate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grep said:

Congratulating those who won on imposing a misery, in context, that hasn't been seen in the US in nearly 50 years.  That's not condescending, it's saying that a price will be paid for the moral victory. 

On top of "pro life" bs, they scream how anti government they are unless it suits their selfish desires.  What part of pro life=/=anti vax and pro AR15s beheading kids at school does the Grand ISIS Part not understand?

Especially when Trump raped 20-30 women and Kav raped Ford but they get a free pass from the racists who cheered when Cosby got prison.  You're a sick monster is you believe skin color and party magically determines whether someone is innocent or guilty.

5 hours ago, grep said:

You know..... I don't want to make any enemies here. But i gotta tell you - you need to lay off the high handed arrogance.

Your posts are well thought out, and well written. You are clearly intelligent, and understand the issues.

problem is that you refuse to see the other side.  Your tone and demeanor are basically a well written "my way or the highway".  Which frankly makes one not want to try to find common ground with you.

Lighten up, and please stop being so condescending. Especially on the day that your side 'won'.

This is exactly why he's the only one I have on ignore.  There are some who I've disagreed with but have been to the left of Atilla/Hitler et al on some issues.  LABT is sadly not one of those people.  Just a bunch of rules for thee but not for me crap.  I've posted about how some bourgeois "liberals" get on my nerves *cough* Paltrow *cough* and have no sympathy for Weinstein and Spacey.  Pity some people believe their side is above the law.

Edited by invisible airwave

32 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

This is exactly why he's the only one I have on ignore.  There are some who I've disagreed with but have been to the left of Atilla/Hitler et al on some issues.  LABT is sadly not one of those people.  Just a bunch of rules for thee but not for me crap.  I've posted about how some bourgeois "liberals" get on my nerves *cough* Paltrow *cough* and have no sympathy for Weinstein and Spacey.  Pity some people believe their side is above the law.

A bunch of mindless accusations without a scintilla of evidence.  Par for the course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, invisible airwave said:

On top of "pro life" bs, they scream how anti government they are unless it suits their selfish desires.  What part of pro life=/=anti vax and pro AR15s beheading kids at school does the Grand ISIS Part not understand?

Especially when Trump raped 20-30 women and Kav raped Ford but they get a free pass from the racists who cheered when Cosby got prison.  You're a sick monster is you believe skin color and party magically determines whether someone is innocent or guilty.

Not me. As far as I'm concerned, we're all human. All the same. 

1 hour ago, invisible airwave said:

I would say "now you're making up stuff" but you've never done anything else.  The mention of Kavanaugh's accuser is proof you're not a serious person.   She had exactly no corroborating evidence and plenty of evidence that contradicted her ridiculous fabrication.

And literally nobody believes your last sentence, not that that stops you from claiming with no evidence that they do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

I didn't realize seeing and understanding someone's argument compels one to therefore agree with it.  If you don't believe I have stripped away all of the superfluity from the pro- abortion argument, tell me which argument is central enough to the debate to warrant consideration beyond the core argument I identified.  I've heard most of them and found them wanting, so I should be able to describe why I do so fairly quickly and would be glad to do so.

Sadly this is crux of it, nothing anyone else says is going to change your mind but it doesn't prevent you from looking down on them and their opinions because you think you are right.

This is a sad and dark day for our country, especially when we now see that our institutions are failing us.  A cruel decision by "Justices" (there's an oxymoron...emphasis on moron) who promised to uphold stare decisis and promptly trashed it the moment they could.  Using 18th Century jurists as authorities, what the hell have we become?  Telling half the population that they can't be allowed to make decisions about their own bodies?  I never thought I would see this day and I am royally pissed. A pox on those Justices who went along with this travesty.

p.s for those who says this will save lives, I say whose lives?  Women will be the victims here and that is just wrong on so many levels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

:facepalm::rolleyes:

Edited by Rhyta

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Sadly this is crux of it, nothing anyone else says is going to change your mind but it doesn't prevent you from looking down on them and their opinions because you think you are right.

You don't even see the irony here, do you?

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

A cruel decision by "Justices" (there's an oxymoron...emphasis on moron) who promised to uphold stare decisis and promptly trashed it the moment they could.  

You are what you claim to hate.   People are morons because they don't agree with you, apparently.   Better alert Webster's.

Plessy v Ferguson was once stare decisis.     Bad decisions should be overturned, especially when they rely on mystical new age concepts like emanations and penumbras and not anything in the Constitution) which you apparently think should be alternatively titled "Rhyta's wish list".

(By the way, it's not their fault you didn't read the Justices statements closely enough.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Telling half the population that they can't be allowed to make decisions about their own bodies?  

Leaving aside the fact that there are two living beings involved for a second, would it be better if it was the whole population who wouldn't be allowed to make decisions about their own bodies?  Certainly it should not be beyond you to come up with examples where this is the case.    Do you get as pissed about that?

3 hours ago, Rhyta said:

p.s for those who says this will save lives, I say whose lives?  Women will be the victims here and that is just wrong on so many levels.

Party of science...lol

Watching the news last night, it seems to me many people are being misled about what the U.S. Supreme Court actually decided yesterday.  They ruled that the regulation of abortion is not a subject addressed in the federal constitution.  That doesn’t mean it’s not a significant issue.  It means that Alabama and Massachusetts don’t have to have the same regulations.  A state can provide for abortion up to birth if it’s citizens so choose.  But the federal constitution is silent about it.

if you are passionate about this issue, turn your attention to your state legislative races and your governor’s elections.

Finally, a word about stare decisis.  When the Supreme Court decided that “separate but equal” facilities were legal they were wrong.  If a case challenging “separate but equal” facilities had come up on appeal in 1897 (the year after Plessy), the court would have been right to overturn it.   It is to America’s shame that it took more than 50 years to do that.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, invisible airwave said:

You now have zero credibility with me, good bye.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rhyta said:

This is a sad and dark day for our country, especially when we now see that our institutions are failing us.  A cruel decision by "Justices" (there's an oxymoron...emphasis on moron) who promised to uphold stare decisis and promptly trashed it the moment they could.  Using 18th Century jurists as authorities, what the hell have we become?  Telling half the population that they can't be allowed to make decisions about their own bodies?  I never thought I would see this day and I am royally pissed. A pox on those Justices who went along with this travesty.

Yes, sad day. Now some women will have to buy a bus ticket or road trip with their friends to abort their baby.

All this decision does is remove the fictional right that abortions shall not be infringed. It should take the abortion issue out of national politics back to the state legislators. 

7 hours ago, Rhyta said:

With all the screaming about "threats to democracy", why does a decision that returns  control of the abortion debate to the people of each state evoke this kind of reaction.  States are now free to codify the will of the respective constituencies on the issue. What is more democratic than that?

For the record, I oppose wholesale criminalization of abortion, but support limits like the ones that are in place in most western nations.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, goose said:

With all the screaming about "threats to democracy", why does a decision that returns  control of the abortion debate to the people of each state evoke this kind of reaction.  States are now free to codify the will of the respective constituencies on the issue. What is more democratic than that?

For the record, I oppose wholesale criminalization of abortion, but support limits like the ones that are in place in most western nations.

Eventually, I imagine most states will have abortion laws more inline with what most Americans support. The extreme states on either side of the issue will wind up over time with more moderate laws/regulations on abortion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

especially when we now see that our institutions are failing us. 

Roe undermined our institutions by ignoring the law and process to come to a desired conclusion.  Overruling it, like Plessy and Dred Scott, starts on the path to reclaiming credibility.

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

who promised to uphold stare decisis

This is demonstrably false.

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Using 18th Century jurists as authorities, what the hell have we become? 

Roe used BC authorities in its ahistorical attack on the Constitution.  Actually reading and following the text of the document you are interpreting seems kinda important to me.  But I guess it can be annoying when you only want a theocratic dictatorship to codify any rules you want regardless of the law.

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

for those who says this will save lives, I say whose lives?

The unborn humans who will no longer be killed in some states, of course.  Did you really not know that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LedRush said:

Roe undermined our institutions by ignoring the law and process to come to a desired conclusion.  Overruling it, like Plessy and Dred Scott, starts on the path to reclaiming credibility.

This is demonstrably false.

Roe used BC authorities in its ahistorical attack on the Constitution.  Actually reading and following the text of the document you are interpreting seems kinda important to me.  But I guess it can be annoying when you only want a theocratic dictatorship to codify any rules you want regardless of the law.

The unborn humans who will no longer be killed in some states, of course.  Did you really not know that?

RBG famously remarked on Roe’s flimsy foundation. 

The reality is this court’s decision made getting an abortion inconvenient for some women. So when the pro-abortion side ask “what about” my answer is what about the unborn child. 

This will be on a much lighter note than previous posts.

There's a house about 100 yards away which sits on a few acres. Since the arrival of hot weather the owner has taken to mowing his lawn around dusk/dark. This wouldn't be a problem unless, like me, you go to bed at 9 pm and like to sleep with the window open a bit. When I go to bed the only sounds I want to hear are nocturnal insects and the breeze rustling through the trees, not some guy tearing around his back yard on a riding mower.

I think I'm beginning to turn into my father.

There he goes with that damned mower again...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1