3rd runner up

BastillePark

It seems that many Rush fans have 3 songs that are their least favorite. In no particular order, "Tai Shan", "Virtuality", and "Dog Years". If that is the case with you, what is the 4th worst song Rush has ever put on a studio release?

Ahhh, Tai Shan and Dog Years in particular are fracking awesome!

I've always loved the tongue in cheek aspect of Dog Years............plus I love dogs so there's that too

• Like 4

I actually like Virtuality. The instrumental is great, and while the lyrics are weird, I think they've written worse ones

It would have been a great all instrumental tune.

Agree 100%. Suck lyrics, excellent music.

• Like 1

Yep, I agree Re : the defence of Virtuality

Instrumentally speaking.

… and due to the monster riffs , great production

& Geddy’s strong vocals , all this for me far

outweigh the not so great lyrics.

So me it’s not even bottom 10.

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios

Madrigal

Yep Madrigal is the reason I rank both

Hemispheres & Permanent Waves as albums

well ahead of AFTK

I think Madrigal is madri-cal!

• Like 1

I actually like Virtuality. The instrumental is great, and while the lyrics are weird, I think they've written worse ones

A lot worse IMO.

I like Tai Shan and Virtuality. Quite a bit.

One tune I have yet to see mentioned here for all-time worst Rush tunes: Face Up. It starts off with a fantastic intro and then left turns somewhere that I do not like.

Face Up may be the worst Rush song ever for me. Trouble is, about half of that album is bad.

• Like 2

It seems that many Rush fans have 3 songs that are their least favorite. In no particular order, "Tai Shan", "Virtuality", and "Dog Years". If that is the case with you, what is the 4th worst song Rush has ever put on a studio release?

There`s often chatter about Anagram (for Mongo) not being a career highlight. It was probably more fun to write than it is for us to listen to.

The lyrics are kinda fun to read, even if they're not true anagrams. Some of the lines are clever, like "There's tic toc in atomic," but as song lyrics they're awful. And they're made worse by the music, which was mailed in and has no life whatsoever.

I'll go to my death bed believing that this song is better than you guys are giving it credit for.

Superconductor is far worse, for example.

• Like 1

A lot worse IMO.

I like Tai Shan and Virtuality. Quite a bit.

One tune I have yet to see mentioned here for all-time worst Rush tunes: Face Up. It starts off with a fantastic intro and then left turns somewhere that I do not like.

Face Up may be the worst Rush song ever for me. Trouble is, about half of that album is bad.

I can agree with that. I think half of Roll The Bones is incredible, and the other half is mediocre at best. Dreamlike, Bravado, Roll The Bones, Where's My Thing, and Ghost Of A Chance are all great songs.
  • Like 3

I like Superconductor.

I also like Superconductor. I've never understood what it is about that song that people have a strong distaste for. Probably just the whole Xanaconductor fiasco.

• Like 1

I also like Superconductor. I've never understood what it is about that song that people have a strong distaste for. Probably just the whole Xanaconductor fiasco.

I think that song is an uninteresting attempt at hard rock and odd meters.

• Like 1

1) The entire song is in 7/4, which is hard to listen to for 4 minutes. Even Floyd's Money took a break from 7 during Gilmour's long solo.

2) There's TWO step-and-a-half modulations in Superconductor's final choruses (at 3:33 and at 3:55) that are just awful. Most modulations are bad anyways, and those are stinkers.

3) Totally forgettable synth bridge.

However, I do like Alex's emotive guitar part in the prechorus ("hit you in a soft place/a melody so sweet"). That's cool.

Edited by Weatherman

1) The entire song is in 7/4, which is hard to listen to for 4 minutes. Even Floyd's Money took a break from 7 during Gilmour's long solo.

IIRC, Solsbury Hill is in 7/4 and there a lot of Tool songs that have odd meters in the entire tune. I can deal with 7/4; I think that lick could have been much more interesting than what it is.

The trouble with "Xanaconductor" besides Superconductor being bad is that was a very odd choice so late in the program.

• Like 2

I must be weird because I actually like Half The World. Is it their best song even on that album? Not even close, but I don't skip it so..........

Truth be told I generally don't skip any of their songs. There are definitely some I don't like very much but I figure it's only a few minutes and then it's something better.

• Like 4

1) The entire song is in 7/4

:no:
  • Like 1

2) There's TWO step-and-a-half modulations in Superconductor's final choruses (at 3:33 and at 3:55) that are just awful. Most modulations are bad anyways, and those are stinkers.

However, I do like Alex's emotive guitar part in the prechorus ("hit you in a soft place/a melody so sweet"). That's cool.

Lol, I didn't ever even notice it was in an odd time. I'm just so used to Rush playing with time that it sounds totally natural to me. I also don't mind modulations. I think they're fun in general, if a little absurd. REM does the same thing with Stand and it's one of the funniest and funnest things about that song for me.

• Like 2

Wait actually relistening to a bit of it goose is right. The prechorus and chorus are just in 4.

Wait actually relistening to a bit of it goose is right. The prechorus and chorus are just in 4.

Right. The verses are in 7/4, but the pre-choruses, choruses, and that keyboard interlude are all in 4/4. The little power chord section after the interlude has measures of 6/4 and 7/4. So technically, most of the song is 4/4, but those 7/4 verses are what you remember, so it's an easy to perceive the whole song that way unless you actually count out the whole thing.

• Like 3

Right. The verses are in 7/4, but the pre-choruses, choruses, and that keyboard interlude are all in 4/4. The little power chord section after the interlude has measures of 6/4 and 7/4. So technically, most of the song is 4/4, but those 7/4 verses are what you remember, so it's an easy to perceive the whole song that way unless you actually count out the whole thing.

See, as I was saying earlier, I'm so used to Rush playing in odd times I never even noticed it was in 7 at all. If you asked me without having listened back to it to say what it was in before this conversation, I'd probably have defaulted to 4/4, since it's part of the period where Rush tried to peel back the synths and the overcomplex arrangements and just play some straight rock songs.

• Like 2

See, as I was saying earlier, I'm so used to Rush playing in odd times I never even noticed it was in 7 at all. If you asked me without having listened back to it to say what it was in before this conversation, I'd probably have defaulted to 4/4, since it's part of the period where Rush tried to peel back the synths and the overcomplex arrangements and just play some straight rock songs.

Now that it’s been pointed out to me

( like yourself EP I hadn’t really previously noticed !)

that elements to the song are in 7/4 , I’m now much more inclined

to listen it ! :-)

Lol, I didn't ever even notice it was in an odd time. I'm just so used to Rush playing with time that it sounds totally natural to me. I also don't mind modulations. I think they're fun in general, if a little absurd. REM does the same thing with Stand and it's one of the funniest and funnest things about that song for me.

Yeah they can be done smooth (John Mayer is really good at them) or they can be done, um, like Superconductor.

Stand is another good example of a bad one, IMO.

Edited by Weatherman

Thanks! I stand corrected.

One of the best/confusing/annoying/amazing things about Rush was the way they tossed in a time change for one measure here or there, just for kicks.

They're not the only ones -- I think the Beatles did a little of that too -- but Rush got more famous for it.