Foo Fighters

The last arena rock band. I only saw them live once, at the Rock in Rio festival in 2001. The show was on Dave Grohl's birthday, and they had a blast on stage. Beck and R.E.M. also played that same night.

Last year I did a pretty good run listening to their latest album, which I enjoyed a lot. I haven't listened to them in a long time, and kind of ignored their recent stuff, but the latest album sounded interesting. Who knows what their next step will be, after Taylor's passing.

Muse would beg to differ with “Last Arena” Rock Band. And Ghost is fast rising as the best modern day arena rock band IMO.

I really enjoy the Foo Fighters. I will post on the rank your favorite bands albums as far as what I love from them.

Just a tragic loss again for he rock world. I was stunned when I heard this news. Just stunned. taylor seemed to be a carefree spirit who loved what he did and loved life......guess I was wrong. 10 of any kind of drugs in your system is never ever a good thing.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

The last arena rock band. I only saw them live once, at the Rock in Rio festival in 2001. The show was on Dave Grohl's birthday, and they had a blast on stage. Beck and R.E.M. also played that same night.

Last year I did a pretty good run listening to their latest album, which I enjoyed a lot. I haven't listened to them in a long time, and kind of ignored their recent stuff, but the latest album sounded interesting. Who knows what their next step will be, after Taylor's passing.

Muse would beg to differ with “Last Arena” Rock Band. And Ghost is fast rising as the best modern day arena rock band IMO.

I really enjoy the Foo Fighters. I will post on the rank your favorite bands albums as far as what I love from them.

Just a tragic loss again for he rock world. I was stunned when I heard this news. Just stunned. taylor seemed to be a carefree spirit who loved what he did and loved life......guess I was wrong. 10 of any kind of drugs in your system is never ever a good thing.

Yeah the Foos aren’t the last standing arena rock band. Even if you take out any band that hasn’t released new material in the past 10 years, there are still plenty left. My beloved Muse towards the top of the list. And as you said, Ghost is on an upward trend. Plenty of up and coming bands will have a chance to get up to the arena level after they’ve been at it for a decade or so. Not that tons of them will necessarily make it, but look at the amount of rock creeping back into modern pop via solo artists. Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo both had straight up rock hits last year, some of the biggest songs of their still nascent careers. Lil Nas X has also been including many rock influenced songs on his releases so far, even though the hip hop cuts tend to get more traction. There’s also Willow Smith, Machine Gun Kelly, Greta Van Fleet, and a few others who are trying to make it big with some form of rock revivalism. Not saying all of it is good, mind you. Can’t stand the GVF singer’s voice personally. But it’s in the charts and has the potential to get bigger. Oh, and there’s Maneskin, the Italian band that won Eurovision last year (or was it the year before) who are absolutely rock and roll. Their cover of Beggin is still on the charts, and that’s not even their most popular song among their young, growing fan base. I’d love to see them conquer the airwaves in the next year or so with more originals, I really believe they have that potential.

So yeah, the Foos are fantastic, and one of the biggest arena rock bands out there, but they’re not the last one’s left.

I understand Dave writes a lot of emotionally resonant songs and song titles, but that fact that Medicine At Midnight (the album) opens with a bar of just Taylor, and ends with a song called Love Dies Young ("with no resuscitation" as it says in the lyrics)... it's rather on the nose. Sometimes life has really curious coincidences; this is sadly one of them.

I think Concrete and Gold and Sonic Highways are both great. I have listened to some of Medicine at Midnight.

And they are on my concert bucket list.

I know this will take some time. There are rumors they may not make music again or tour, however, I don't think it will come to that.

• Like 1

I really love Medicine At Midnight. As much as I love when bands go big or go home like on Sonic Highways and Concrete & Gold, Medicine sounds like a band feeling rejuvenated and having a great time in the studio. Making A Fire might be the ultimate Foos pump up day starter anthem. Though I suppose My Hero may hold that spot. Cloudspotter is wild and loud and heavy but in a fun and vibrating way. Holding The Poison Down is absurdly catchy and still manages to toss in a riff worthy of QOTSA, Waiting On A War has those gorgeous strings hanging around and then that classic Foos build up to a total rager. The title track is so absurdly fun and still kind of dark and somber, like dancing to shake off the nerves, but it’s really smooth as well. Chasing Birds is a classic pretty voice Dave song, very calming and soothing. Shame Shame is like a test run for the title track with it’s funkier elements and kinda dark vibe. The acoustic guitars stand out to me as a really cool choice in that song. And then there’s Love Dies Young, which sounds like The Foos finally drawing inspiration from one of the reigning bands of power pop: The Cars. It’s such a bright and optimistic way to end the album, despite the pessimistic lyrics, and the fast pace keeps you on your toes, like end credits music. The whole record is a killer rock party in under 45 minutes, and I do hope over time it may see more love than it has so far.

Oh I somehow forgot about No Son Of Mine. An excellent, punky, explosive attack on dogmatic authority. Righteous.