Taylor Hawkins Dead at 50

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of accolades this guy is getting both from old school musicians and celebs and more recent ones. I don't remember any recent drummer getting this many not even Neil Peart. And lots of other musicians have died in recent years but most of them don't get all this love. I'm not a fan of the band, but even if I was I'd be surprised. Just seems a bit strange to me, I don't get it. :huh:

It’s at least as much to do with his work and his skills as it is his personality and how he handled himself around both fans and fellow musicians of all ages and stages in life. He was loved because he was so loving of others.

I think in comparison to Neil, who was influential but not a social butterfly, Taylor and Dave had become the face of rock music at a time it needed positive personalities. Twitter and the Oscars can be bleak if searching for the best humanity has to offer.

• Like 7

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of accolades this guy is getting both from old school musicians and celebs and more recent ones. I don't remember any recent drummer getting this many not even Neil Peart. And lots of other musicians have died in recent years but most of them don't get all this love. I'm not a fan of the band, but even if I was I'd be surprised. Just seems a bit strange to me, I don't get it. :huh:

It’s at least as much to do with his work and his skills as it is his personality and how he handled himself around both fans and fellow musicians of all ages and stages in life. He was loved because he was so loving of others.

I think in comparison to Neil, who was influential but not a social butterfly, Taylor and Dave had become the face of rock music at a time it needed positive personalities. Twitter and the Oscars can be bleak if searching for the best humanity has to offer.

So true! Taylor was a skilled drummer, but I think a lot of the accolades are more about his enthusiasm, commitment, and his being an all-around good guy than about his technical drumming prowess. It’s just too sad for words to think that such a joy-bringer was in the kind of pain that leads to medicating to early death.

• Like 5

Think of how many of those people he's collaborated with over the years with Dave. Every musician that has spoken fondly of him has likely worked with him before and walked away thinking highly of him.

• Like 4

This Stewart Copeland interview about Taylor is particularly heartwarming. Mentions Neil a good few times as well. Says they were all part of a community.

https://variety.com/...ion-1235218457/

This was a good interview, thanks for the link. I have always liked Stuart Copeland and he obviously enjoyed Taylor's enthusiastic fanboy antics.

• Like 2

What other's have said as well as he was only 50.

Roger Taylor received an Order of the British Empire the other day, and immediately publicly dedicated it to Taylor. Brian May said a very loving tribute to Taylor in a recent interview, and spoke on how hard it is for him to rationalize it. Taylor was probably Queen's greatest unpaid publicist, he just loved loved loved them, in addition to so many other bands he was obsessed with, like Rush. In another version of history, Taylor probably would've been right here on this forum with us, just talking music and Rush day after day, sharing what he'd been listening to recently, just like us. He represented everything great about being totally passionate not just in your work and in your artistry, but in your love of the work and the art that inspires you. He was a fan, and he made being a fan look like the coolest thing in the world.
  • Like 7

To be honest, the little I've seen from Grohl and Hawkins just made me find them a little annoying, and I've never been a fan of the Foo Fighters.....saying that, he was clearly a superior drummer and it is always a loss to music when someone with that amount of talent dies.

It helps that he appeared to also be genuinely LIKED by so many. To quote quote Jules Winfield, “Personality goes a long way.”

When Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Tony Iommi, Ozzy, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger. and the fellows from Queen (to mention just few) post long, heartfelt testimonials about your passing and how wonderful a human being and drum talent you were, you made an impact.

If you told the once-15-year-old Taylor that he would be memorialized this way some day, first, he never would have believed it. I mean, who could? Secondly, you might also begin to sweat that you didn’t live as long as all these artists once the math kicked in. But the reality is that none of these folks had to say anything, but they did and all of them spoke about him as a good man.

You could do worse.

#olivertaylorhawkins

• Like 4

They now have 3 Grammys today. Sad they couldn't arrive as they've been grieving especially Dave since he knows the feeling all too well circa 1994. Walk and Times Like These are quite relevant now.

One Of These Days as well.

• Like 2

Dave since he knows the feeling all too well circa 1994.

I think Dave has a better support network around him now, at least I hope he does. Would be a shame if not.

• Like 3

They now have 3 Grammys today. Sad they couldn't arrive as they've been grieving especially Dave since he knows the feeling all too well circa 1994. Walk and Times Like These are quite relevant now.

The Grammys suck pretty unequivocally. BUT. That's the right move. Not even saying I agree that they had the best rock song, album, and performance this year. But to give it to anyone else so soon after Taylor's death when The Foos are on the nominee list... that would be a very bad look for them.

Dave since he knows the feeling all too well circa 1994.

I think Dave has a better support network around him now, at least I hope he does. Would be a shame if not.

I get why people make references to Cobain's death but to me the death of Taylor is completely different for Dave. He didn't just lose another band member in a sudden and tragic way. He lost his best friend of 25 years, his musical soulmate, a person he seemed inseparable from. Did you ever see their interactions when playing live? What other frontman and drummer had that kind of on stage kinship and looked like they couldn't be having more fun together than those two did?

Yeah, this one is a much bigger loss for Dave and it's not even close.

• Like 4

The Grammys suck pretty unequivocally. BUT. That's the right move. Not even saying I agree that they had the best rock song, album, and performance this year. But to give it to anyone else so soon after Taylor's death when The Foos are on the nominee list... that would be a very bad look for them.

Actually I just looked at the nominee list and... honestly do the Grammy's even take time out of their day to TRY listening to newer artists? The only truly new artists nominated in any of the rock categories were Black Pumas and Mammoth EVH (who may well not have been nominated if not for his father, not a knock against his music, trying to make a point about the Grammy's only paying attention to new rock when it has direct connections to old rock). Almost every other band and artist nominated in those categories got their start in the mid 90s at the latest. That's long enough ago to be eligible for a RRHOF induction. McCartney, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Chris Cornell, Deftones, Kings Of Leon. You don't help inject energy and excitement into making rock and roll in 2022 by nominating Paul McCartney and AC/DC, even if they had really good albums. I'm not even saying anyone doesn't deserve to be here, but all of them together take up spots that could've been given to rising stars in the rock world, who have a lot more to gain from a Grammy nomination than any of these established artists. The ratio of old (got their start over 10 years ago imo) to new (the opposite of my definition for old) should be 50/50 at least. Honestly the metal category isn't much better. Much as I love the new Dream Theater stuff, having DT, Rob Zombie, Deftones, and Mastodon all up for nomination, with only Gojira looking anything like a newer band as a result... you can't tell me there weren't at least a handful of newer metal bands who put out songs as good as The Alien or Pushing The Tides this past year. I realize I'm one to talk as I myself am not versed in many new metal bands... but I'm not the one nominating people for "best metal performance of the year," and I'm not even a massive metal head. And what the heck, where are Black Country, New Road, or Black Midi, or Squid, or shame, or Parquet Courts in the alternative section? They all had great to fantastic releases this year and, I would argue, ARE the cutting edge of alternative music right now. I'm not saying the artists that got nominated for that category don't deserve to be there, but I think the Grammy's really missed the memo on that whole new dark, dramatic, progressive, post punk scene that has absolutely floored critics and fans alike over the past year. Just one of those bands would've been nice. Oh well, it all goes back to my first statement at the top. Rant over.

Actually I just looked at the nominee list and... honestly do the Grammy's even take time out of their day to TRY listening to newer artists? The only truly new artists nominated in any of the rock categories were Black Pumas and Mammoth EVH (who may well not have been nominated if not for his father, not a knock against his music, trying to make a point about the Grammy's only paying attention to new rock when it has direct connections to old rock). Almost every other band and artist nominated in those categories got their start in the mid 90s at the latest. That's long enough ago to be eligible for a RRHOF induction. McCartney, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Chris Cornell, Deftones, Kings Of Leon. You don't help inject energy and excitement into making rock and roll in 2022 by nominating Paul McCartney and AC/DC, even if they had really good albums. I'm not even saying anyone doesn't deserve to be here, but all of them together take up spots that could've been given to rising stars in the rock world, who have a lot more to gain from a Grammy nomination than any of these established artists. The ratio of old (got their start over 10 years ago imo) to new (the opposite of my definition for old) should be 50/50 at least. Honestly the metal category isn't much better. Much as I love the new Dream Theater stuff, having DT, Rob Zombie, Deftones, and Mastodon all up for nomination, with only Gojira looking anything like a newer band as a result... you can't tell me there weren't at least a handful of newer metal bands who put out songs as good as The Alien or Pushing The Tides this past year. I realize I'm one to talk as I myself am not versed in many new metal bands... but I'm not the one nominating people for "best metal performance of the year," and I'm not even a massive metal head. And what the heck, where are Black Country, New Road, or Black Midi, or Squid, or shame, or Parquet Courts in the alternative section? They all had great to fantastic releases this year and, I would argue, ARE the cutting edge of alternative music right now. I'm not saying the artists that got nominated for that category don't deserve to be there, but I think the Grammy's really missed the memo on that whole new dark, dramatic, progressive, post punk scene that has absolutely floored critics and fans alike over the past year. Just one of those bands would've been nice. Oh well, it all goes back to my first statement at the top. Rant over.

Nice to see Turnstile nominated for Glow On, though. Them and PUP are my favorite current rock bands of the moment. PUP don't have nods so far but they have a lot of Junos, though.

Nice to see Turnstile nominated for Glow On, though. Them and PUP are my favorite current rock bands of the moment. PUP don't have nods so far but they have a lot of Junos, though.

Wait what were they nominated for I didn't see them on the alt list?

Also I might rescind a bit of my criticism on the metal category as apparently by winning tonight, DT score their first ever Grammy win? I think? I had assumed having been around so long they must have won before, but I guess you can never assume, especially with metal, especially with prog metal. In his very short acceptance speech JP noted how they were always told their songs were too long and in too weird time signatures to win, but The Alien is super long and in 15/16, so they were right not to listen to the critics!

Anyway sorry to make this thread about the Grammy's. Despite really disliking them in general, they do sometimes fascinate me.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Also I might rescind a bit of my criticism on the metal category as apparently by winning tonight, DT score their first ever Grammy win? I think? I had assumed having been around so long they must have won before, but I guess you can never assume, especially with metal, especially with prog metal. In his very short acceptance speech JP noted how they were always told their songs were too long and in too weird time signatures to win, but The Alien is super long and in 15/16, so they were right not to listen to the critics!

Anyway sorry to make this thread about the Grammy's. Despite really disliking them in general, they do sometimes fascinate me.

Prepare to dislike them more for leaving Joey Jordison out of the in memoriam segment, another drummer gone too soon. He was a beast on the set. Also, Louis CK getting winning over Lewis Black in comedy it blasphemy with or without the metoo allegations. Never found him that funny to begin with. Lewis is the closest we have to Carlin now.

Slight correction on Turstile. Their producer was named producer of the year.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Prepare to dislike them more for leaving Joey Jordison out of the in memoriam segment, another drummer gone too soon. He was a beast on the set. Also, Louis CK getting winning over Lewis Black in comedy it blasphemy with or without the metoo allegations. Never found him that funny to begin with. Lewis is the closest we have to Carlin now.

Slight correction on Turstile. Their producer was named producer of the year.

The Grammy’s aren’t even trying to live down that time they have the first metal award to Jethro Tull over Metallica. They’ve never learned to care about metal.

Well I can't remember many of the details, but I had a dream with Dave Grohl in it last night. I don't usually (or like, ever) dream of celebrities or musicians, so this was very unusual for me. I think I was playing a gig with Dave, and Dave was understandably very upset and kind of losing his mind, very much grieving.  I think I had to convince him that it was okay to play, and that he could do it... oh and I think he had the epiphany that he would sing from behind the drum set, and then he wouldn't have to try to replace Taylor. 

Anyway, all that really means is this still weighs on my heart.  I obviously do wish for Dave to be able to process this tragedy and make some kind of peace with it, but I think in a way Dave is a stand in. He's the obvious figure that's going through the worst of times right now, and that's why it was him in the dream, but he's also a symbol for everyone who knew or loved Taylor who's struggling still over this loss and how to keep on living. In a way, the dream seemed to have an optimistic ending. So I hope maybe reality will look brighter in the distance up ahead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

I see that there will be 2 All-Star Tribute gigs for TH, one on Sept 3rd at Wembley Stadium London & one on Sept 27th at Kia Forum in LA. I bet they sell out fast.

I bet so. So….

I have a bit over a week to decide if I can afford to spend Labor Day weekend in London.

• Like 1