Taylor Hawkins Dead at 50

A report in a major Colombian newspaper also named heroin as one of the drugs allegedly found in Hawkins’ system, and said that forensic were “shocked” by the size of the rocker’s “enlarged heart.”

Colombian publication Semana reported that the size of Hawkins’ heart - at over 600 grams, around twice the weight of a typical adult male’s heart - played a part in his passing with a “cocktail of narcotics” in his system.

Okay I know I said I didn't want to speculate, but I have been thinking about this and...

Everything I've read from anyone who was close with Taylor has said he's been clean of the heavy stuff for years, ever since that scary overdose in the early 00s. I know relapses happen, and I'm not an addict so I don't personally understand what it is that addicts go through, but do relapses really happen with coke and heroine and prescriptions and everything else that was in his system all at once? I'm asking honestly, because I don't want to make any assumptions about a field I know very little about. It just strikes me, a totally uneducated person on this topic, as completely out of character with everything I've heard about him in his past 20 years or so. I just don't understand what would drive someone to mix all that together in their system at once after being clean of the really bad stuff for so long. Can anyone enlighten me? Does this sort of thing happen when you're addicted?

Yes, that can happen when you're an addict. Somebody can fall off the wagon hard. Just because you're sober and have been for years it never means that the addiction is behind you. There's always the shadow of it lurking. There's always the worry of having something happen that will trigger it again. Look at James Hetfield from Metallica. How many times has he been in and out of rehab for alcohol addiction over the last 25 years? I never really ends for an addict no matter how many years they may have been sober for.

As for Taylor, we don't know for certain what could have triggered a relapse. The covid lockdowns had a big effect on a lot of people's physical and mental well being. It could have triggered his addictions again. Perhaps it was the bands first major tour since covid and that caused him to seriously worry and he started using again. Whatever the reasons, his death is still a tragic one.

A report in a major Colombian newspaper also named heroin as one of the drugs allegedly found in Hawkins’ system, and said that forensic were “shocked” by the size of the rocker’s “enlarged heart.”

Colombian publication Semana reported that the size of Hawkins’ heart - at over 600 grams, around twice the weight of a typical adult male’s heart - played a part in his passing with a “cocktail of narcotics” in his system.

Okay I know I said I didn't want to speculate, but I have been thinking about this and...

Everything I've read from anyone who was close with Taylor has said he's been clean of the heavy stuff for years, ever since that scary overdose in the early 00s. I know relapses happen, and I'm not an addict so I don't personally understand what it is that addicts go through, but do relapses really happen with coke and heroine and prescriptions and everything else that was in his system all at once? I'm asking honestly, because I don't want to make any assumptions about a field I know very little about. It just strikes me, a totally uneducated person on this topic, as completely out of character with everything I've heard about him in his past 20 years or so. I just don't understand what would drive someone to mix all that together in their system at once after being clean of the really bad stuff for so long. Can anyone enlighten me? Does this sort of thing happen when you're addicted?

Addicts are the best of liars, especially to those close to them.

Yes, that can happen when you're an addict. Somebody can fall off the wagon hard. Just because you're sober and have been for years it never means that the addiction is behind you. There's always the shadow of it lurking. There's always the worry of having something happen that will trigger it again. Look at James Hetfield from Metallica. How many times has he been in and out of rehab for alcohol addiction over the last 25 years? I never really ends for an addict no matter how many years they may have been sober for.

As for Taylor, we don't know for certain what could have triggered a relapse. The covid lockdowns had a big effect on a lot of people's physical and mental well being. It could have triggered his addictions again. Perhaps it was the bands first major tour since covid and that caused him to seriously worry and he started using again. Whatever the reasons, his death is still a tragic one.

It's so sad. The other thing that I have heard happens with substance abusers is that they think they are the rare one that knows how to "handle" the substance and then something changes. Their tolerance, strength of the street drug, or even the fact that apparently fentanyl is in so many street drugs these days. This is all so sad for Hawkins' family.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

This one hit me hard. Great drummer and seemed like a great guy. Both him and Dave didn't seem to let R&R stardom go to their heads. Condolences to his wife and three kids.
  • Like 5

EDIT: for clarification, the conspiracy messages I was referring to are from people denouncing the covid vaccine as some kind of time bomb death serum, and claiming that's what killed him.

Oh for the love of God they just won't stop will they?

• Like 2

Reported 10 substances found in his room.

Among the drugs found by a urine toxicological test performed by officials were marijuana, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants and benzodiazepines, the statement said. An exact cause of death was not announced, and the National Institute of Forensic Medicine continues to investigate, the attorney general said.

Not that it really matters at this point.

If these were prescribed, his doctor should be sued into oblivion knowing his history.

Brings me back to when my ex died after years of addiction. Died in her sleep with enough junk in her system to take down a horse, including xanax and oxycontin. Cleaning out her house I found 4 months of prefilled out scripts for oxy even though she'd been to rehab. f***ing doctors.

Michael Jackson, Prince, Tom Petty, Glenn Frey, Chris Cornell...I'm sensing a pattern.

That drugs - prescribed or elicit - are a top killer of Americans, especially the young?

Or general human stupidity?

It's an absolute fact that some people are genetically more susceptible to addiction than others. My brother died of alcoholism at age 54. I drink very lightly, maybe 2 beers a week. We have the same parents. It ain't just stupidity and frankly IF that's the crux of your post, I don't like it one bit.

• Like 1

It's so sad. The other thing that I have heard happens with substance abusers is that they think they are the rare one that knows how to "handle" the substance and then something changes. Their tolerance, strength of the street drug, or even the fact that apparently fentanyl is in so many street drugs these days. This is all so sad for Hawkins' family.

I believe that to be true as well. As my friend put it last night "amateur pharmacists".

• Like 1

Good gosh the stories I could tell. Alcohol destroyed the last 10 years or so of my parents marriage while my mom was alive and now it is destroying my dad's new marriage and he refuses to acknowledge that he has a drinking problem. The strange thing is once upon a time, he did. He admitted he was an alcoholic. But now he is in complete denial.

• Like 3

Good gosh the stories I could tell. Alcohol destroyed the last 10 years or so of my parents marriage while my mom was alive and now it is destroying my dad's new marriage and he refuses to acknowledge that he has a drinking problem. The strange thing is once upon a time, he did. He admitted he was an alcoholic. But now he is in complete denial.

Sad. I grew up surrounded by addicts, as I'm sure a lot of people have. I'm saddened how substance abuse continues - even increases - with all we know and the myriad alternative, healthier outlets available.
  • Like 1

I'm a recovering addict, although haven't been active in any formal program (12 step or otherwise) in a long while. There's been some changes in how treatment is approached, but I believe the underlying "disease concept" used by treatment professionals is still the same. To the point -- the idea of being away from drugs for a prolonged period of time, then relapsing, and going off a cliff so to speak is well documented and a known result. The way I've heard it described is the disease "doing pushups" as you get healthy, only to have the consequences / emotional pain and overall drug use get worse if someone does go back to using despite the time away.

It's a strange concept to grasp, but I've seen it firsthand with others who stay clean for decades, then relapse and die (from overdose and/or suicide) within weeks or months. Being clean is just a respite, the underlying mental/spiritual illness doesn't vanish.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 6

A tragic end to a wonderful musician and person. Just tragic. And man it really sucks when Rock loses people like this. Our music is hanging on by a thread these days and he was part of one of the great things still left in Rock n Roll.

My heart goes out to his wife, children and bandmates.

I think The Foo Fighters may be over too. This is just a massive blow.

• Like 4

A tragic end to a wonderful musician and person. Just tragic. And man it really sucks when Rock loses people like this. Our music is hanging on by a thread these days and he was part of one of the great things still left in Rock n Roll.

I bet Danny Carey has some time on his hands.

Much like Rush and Zepprlin, he was a huge presence with that band. The parts could be played but his presence and stage personality can’t be replaced.

• Like 5

Among the drugs found by a urine toxicological test performed by officials were marijuana, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants and benzodiazepines, the statement said. An exact cause of death was not announced, and the National Institute of Forensic Medicine continues to investigate, the attorney general said.

If these were prescribed, his doctor should be sued into oblivion knowing his history.

Brings me back to when my ex died after years of addiction. Died in her sleep with enough junk in her system to take down a horse, including xanax and oxycontin. Cleaning out her house I found 4 months of prefilled out scripts for oxy even though she'd been to rehab. f***ing doctors.

Michael Jackson, Prince, Tom Petty, Glenn Frey, Chris Cornell...I'm sensing a pattern.

That drugs - prescribed or elicit - are a top killer of Americans, especially the young?

It's an absolute fact that some people are genetically more susceptible to addiction than others. My brother died of alcoholism at age 54. I drink very lightly, maybe 2 beers a week. We have the same parents. It ain't just stupidity and frankly IF that's the crux of your post, I don't like it one bit.

I'm sorry for your family's loss.

But I will say that I knowing one may be genetically more susceptible to addiction and drinking and doing drugs anyway is not very bright. I talk to my son about this all the time, as my family has a long and broad history of addictive behavior. Addiction is a combination of one's predispositions and choices, and to pretend otherwise isn't very productive in terms of breaking the cycle.

I read the Rolling Stone interview he gave last year and there's clues, for lack of a better term. He said he's always had really bad stage fright. I thought this was really surprising given that he seemed to be a 'really chill dude' and the fact that the Foos are a pretty loose, goofy group on stage. But that could be the reason he needed meds, legal and otherwise. He also mentioned that his doctor told him about his large heart and attributed it to stronger health, like a runner's heart.

As far as the Foos being over, much to early to tell. Grohl has admitted he's high energy and will likely find some outlet whether it's the Foos or another band.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Thank you for everyone who shared and answered my question. You guys have given me some perspective that's oddly made it a bit easier to bear this horrible news.

I still don't think I understand though. Not that I don't understand how he could relapse, but I don't understand how Taylor Hawkins could be gone. It doesn't feel real. I'll catch myself multiple times a day thinking about the Foos and thinking about Taylor and then remembering why I'm thinking about them so much... I just can't seem to internalize it.

• Like 1

I read the Rolling Stone interview he gave last year and there's clues, for lack of a better term. He said he's always had really bad stage fright. I thought this was really surprising given that he seemed to be a 'really chill dude' and the fact that the Foos are a pretty loose, goofy group on stage. But that could be the reason he needed meds, legal and otherwise. He also mentioned that his doctor told him about his large heart and attributed it to stronger health, like a runner's heart.

As far as the Foos being over, much to early to tell. Grohl has admitted he's high energy and will likely find some outlet whether it's the Foos or another band.

An enlarged heart is not something to ignore, if he was a marathon runner then he could pass it off...it's another reason to feel the pain of a life cut short, too soon to be gone. :eh: :(

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 5

But I will say that I knowing one may be genetically more susceptible to addiction and drinking and doing drugs anyway is not very bright. I talk to my son about this all the time, as my family has a long and broad history of addictive behavior. Addiction is a combination of one's predispositions and choices, and to pretend otherwise isn't very productive in terms of breaking the cycle.

When it comes to this subject, you're not very bright.

Against my better judgement, I'm going to try to maybe get you to leave your typical way of thinking and see that it isn't always so black and white.

Neither of my parents drink at all so my brother didn't have the opportunity to see he could be predisposed genetically. None of my 4 grandparents drank so my brother could not see he might be genetically predisposed. My mom's sister didn't drink, my dad's sister didn't drink so my brother was unable to see he might be predisposed based on family genetic factors. Apparently this goes back several generations well beyond our lifetimes.

My brother started his journey like many of us, partying as young guy. Unfortunately with many addicts, while the rest of us slow down and move on, he didn't. As each year passed he drank more and more because he HAD to.

I was addicted to nicotine for 32 years. I know how difficult it is to be addicted to something and get clean from it. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and it's not even close. He tried, many times to get sober and was unable to do so. He was also a nicotine addict and never beat it either. I will give you that smoking cigarettes at the very beginning was a choice on both our parts and a bad one considering we knew the health repercussions. But with him and alcohol, he simply had no idea. There wasn't a choice.

Continue to believe what you wish to believe. I don't think for one minute I'm ever going to turn you away from you feeling that it's at least partly a matter of personal choice even tho it goes much deeper mentally, emotionally and physiologically. But I feel better for typing this.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3

When it comes to this subject, you're not very bright.

Against my better judgement, I'm going to try to maybe get you to leave your typical way of thinking and see that it isn't always so black and white.

Neither of my parents drink at all so my brother didn't have the opportunity to see he could be predisposed genetically. None of my 4 grandparents drank so my brother could not see he might be genetically predisposed. My mom's sister didn't drink, my dad's sister didn't drink so my brother was unable to see he might be predisposed based on family genetic factors. Apparently this goes back several generations well beyond our lifetimes.

My brother started his journey like many of us, partying as young guy. Unfortunately with many addicts, while the rest of us slow down and move on, he didn't. As each year passed he drank more and more because he HAD to.

I was addicted to nicotine for 32 years. I know how difficult it is to be addicted to something and get clean from it. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and it's not even close. He tried, many times to get sober and was unable to do so. He was also a nicotine addict and never beat it either. I will give you that smoking cigarettes at the very beginning was a choice on both our parts and a bad one considering we knew the health repercussions. But with him and alcohol, he simply had no idea. There wasn't a choice.

Continue to believe what you wish to believe. I don't think for one minute I'm ever going to turn you away from you feeling that it's at least partly a matter of personal choice even tho it goes much deeper mentally, emotionally and physiologically. But I feel better for typing this.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your post. We both appear to have extensive personal experience with this, and these experiences have shaped our views. I don't agree that our opinions have anything to do with intelligence. ;)
  • Like 1

I was addicted to nicotine for 32 years. I know how difficult it is to be addicted to something and get clean from it. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and it's not even close. He tried, many times to get sober and was unable to do so. He was also a nicotine addict and never beat it either. I will give you that smoking cigarettes at the very beginning was a choice on both our parts and a bad one considering we knew the health repercussions. But with him and alcohol, he simply had no idea. There wasn't a choice...

This post reminded me of a movie scene...

http://youtu.be/uUPHlAbAf2I

Edited by stoopid

Looks like they cancelled all their upcoming tour dates, saying "let's take this time to grieve, to heal."

It's the right choice of course, but that "to heal" in the last line gives me a spark of hope for the future.

• Like 3

I was addicted to nicotine for 32 years. I know how difficult it is to be addicted to something and get clean from it. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and it's not even close. He tried, many times to get sober and was unable to do so. He was also a nicotine addict and never beat it either. I will give you that smoking cigarettes at the very beginning was a choice on both our parts and a bad one considering we knew the health repercussions. But with him and alcohol, he simply had no idea. There wasn't a choice...

Is there a point to this post?

Is there a point to this post?

You're an idiot?

I've never really been a Foo Fighters fan, but man, this hurts. Taylor seemed like such a ray of sunshine, truly. He clearly touched the lives of so many people, on a musical and personal level. I have so much respect for him because of this.
  • Like 6