Lifeson takes a stab at Phil Collins

rugen

ALSO

Nobody says that about pianists, Alex.

lol

Yo Yo Ma has been sitting down his entire career..... the lazy ass.

• Like 2

ALSO

Nobody says that about pianists, Alex.

lol

Yo Yo Ma has been sitting down his entire career..... the lazy ass.

And even D. Gilmour sits down to play lap steel... along with every classical guitarist ever.

That guy from Kansas. Chair. Don't have a problem with it - he plays great.

Axl touring with ACDC. Chair. Until he got healthy. No problem. Plus, the band got to play some old songs that Brian never wanted to or couldn't sing.

Nothing wrong with chairs.

No one at the Kansas show I went to was in a chair.. well except for the acoustic set they did to start the show where everyone was in a chair.

When I saw them in 2017, Rich Williams (the guy with the eye patch) sat through the whole set. I don't follow them all that well, so don't know all the history. Perhaps he was recovering from an injury or surgery at the time. But...chair.

• Like 1

Axl touring with ACDC. Chair. Until he got healthy. No problem. Plus, the band got to play some old songs that Brian never wanted to or couldn't sing.

No one at the Kansas show I went to was in a chair.. well except for the acoustic set they did to start the show where everyone was in a chair.

When I saw them in 2017, Rich Williams (the guy with the eye patch) sat through the whole set. I don't follow them all that well, so don't know all the history. Perhaps he was recovering from an injury or surgery at the time. But...chair.

And Dave Grohl! Sitting like a demented king, during his broken leg tour.

RIP Taylor.

• Like 3

And Dave Grohl! Sitting like a demented king, during his broken leg tour.

RIP Taylor.

Yes - and he provided that chair to Axl for the ACDC shows.

I`m no fan of Phil, but I`d back his right to perform, in as much as he probably enjoys it and these are his limitations; they can`t be easy to accept for him or how he would want to be and he`s earned some latitiude over a long career. I know it`s a bit of a leap, but I don`t think anyone would criticise Jason Becker for still creating.

Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that.

This is consistent with Geddy, Alex and Neil wanting to go out on top, so they don't have to experience the "Losing It" feeling.

I don't think Alex is personally dissing Collins. He's voicing his aversion to performing at a sub-standard level.

You don't think that's a shot at Collins?

No. There are any number of artists that now sit on a stock doing shows, often scaled down to an acoustic coffee house style. RUSH music doesn't lend itself to that, so I can see how Alex wouldn't relate to it. I do think Alex's comments are general and not directed at one person. That just doesn't seem in line with Alex's personality or past behavior.
  • Like 2

Not a knock on Phil but...................then there's Jagger who bounces around like a 30 year old while approaching 80. Staying fit and reasonably clean does wonders for you when you're old.

I really enjoyed Genesis on this last tour. I thought it was a great show and Phil and the band seemed like they were having a great time. And the fans appreciated it, so who's to say it is wrong? As far as money, I believe Phil has some big divorce settlements, so he may not have as much left as we think.
  • Like 4

When i first saw that Phil was going to be sitting, in some rando office chair, i was like...huh? But, there are alot of things likely going on:

Payday. Not just for him but everyone else involved. Thats a big thing IMO. Alot of other people are benefiting, not just Phil. From what i read, it seems that Neil only partly agreed to doing the last Rush tour because of the money.

Giving the fans, and themselves, one last time. Its not ideal, but at least he is trying to let their loyal fans have one last time to see them before calling it quits. Not a bad thing IMO.

I understand Alexs comment but, with the parallels to Rush's final tour you would think he would understand a little better. Phil has had health issues but who wouldnt want one last opportunity no matter what?

I saw the Genesis concert in Boston , December 2021.  It was fantastic.  Who cares if Phil was sitting. He sounded great.  Phil's son Nicholas is great on drums.  A Plus.   

Thank you.