Lifeson takes a stab at Phil Collins

rugen

In an interview with Ultimate guitar magazine, Alex said that "Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that." Would do you pay to see Rush with Alex in a chair?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/alex_lifeson_shares_opinion_on_artists_who_refuse_to_retire_explains_why_rush_decided_to_call_it_a_day_even_though_they_could_have_continued.html

Edited by rugen

Well said!! In Collins' case it can't be money as apparently he has amassed quite a fortune. But it makes for a pretty sorry spectacle from a Genesis perspective. Just let it go Phil. Edited by zepphead

Well said!! In Collins' case it can't be money as apparently he has amassed quite a fortune. But it makes for a pretty sorry spectacle from a Genesis perspective. Just let it go Phil.

We could compare Phil to his "cousin", Phil Mickelson, who is reportedly worth $400 million. He is all about getting as much money as possible, so much that he makes slimy deals with the Saudis.

Maybe it is about the money. Some people just can't get enough. It's an addiction.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

Well said!! In Collins' case it can't be money as apparently he has amassed quite a fortune. But it makes for a pretty sorry spectacle from a Genesis perspective. Just let it go Phil.

We could compare Phil to his "cousin", Phil Mickelson, who is reportedly worth $400 million. He is all about getting as much money as possible, so much that he makes slimy deals with the Saudis.

Maybe it is about the money. Some people just can't get enough. It's an addiction.

Fair point.

Since Phil was a drummer, I wonder if he didn't see sitting down for the shows as that big of a deal. He may have thought that fans were used to seeing him perform that way. The money is probably a huge deciding factor too. Or it could be possible that he genuinely wanted to give the fans some kind of farewell before he was unable to do anything on stage at all.
  • Like 1

Since Phil was a drummer, I wonder if he didn't see sitting down for the shows as that big of a deal. He may have thought that fans were used to seeing him perform that way. The money is probably a huge deciding factor too. Or it could be possible that he genuinely wanted to give the fans some kind of farewell before he was unable to do anything on stage at all.

Agreed. Folks are being awfully hard on Phil. And the guy has been a performer for 50 years, maybe he also wanted to give himself a last farewell to that part of his life.

• Like 4

Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that.

This is consistent with Geddy, Alex and Neil wanting to go out on top, so they don't have to experience the "Losing It" feeling.

I don't think Alex is personally dissing Collins. He's voicing his aversion to performing at a sub-standard level.

• Like 1

Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that.

This is consistent with Geddy, Alex and Neil wanting to go out on top, so they don't have to experience the "Losing It" feeling.

I don't think Alex is personally dissing Collins. He's voicing his aversion to performing at a sub-standard level.

You don't think that's a shot at Collins? That's exactly what he's doing on the Genesis tour. It couldn't be more clear who Alex is talking about.

• Like 2

You don't think that's a shot at Collins? That's exactly what he's doing on the Genesis tour. It couldn't be more clear who Alex is talking about.

Alex is certainly talking about Collins, but I don't think it's an intentional insult towards Collins. Have we ever known Alex to publicly insult anyone? IMO, he's just giving his personal philosophy on knowing when to quit.

Here is the full quote:

I mean, I get it, and I think for a lot of people, it's great. They reached that point in their lives after a long career in whatever it is that they do. It's weird in this [line of work] and I guess it's the same thing with athletes in professional sports when you come to the end, especially with us, and we still have gas in the tank. We [Rush] could have continued touring. If we had the strength, we could have continued touring. I think we were playing great. The last tour, I thought we played really, really well. I thought the show looked fantastic, and you could argue that that's the best way to go out.

That's where your legacy is intact, and that's how people remember you. They remember you at that show where you played that song that they've listened to for 40 years, and it was the best version they've ever heard of that song, and that's what they're left with. They're sad that it's over but at least they have that memory. Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that.

• Like 1

Worked pretty good for that guy Robert Fripp, amirite?

Sitting down enabled Fripp to conserve energy for more important things...like watching and controlling everyone and everything. ;)

Edited by Principled Man

I think Alex wasn’t trying to insult Phil, he was just expressing why Rush stopped where it did and that example came to mind. For the record, Genesis have always been a band where the majority of people are sitting down. The only difference with the last tour is that the signer is also sitting down. And frankly Phil still did a great job as front man.
  • Like 1

that came off a bit low class.......but not sure if he meant it like that but.....yea rubbed me the wrong way a tad. Phil was always driven. and if he wants to perform......let him. Alex had pain in his hands i know but he kept going.....so viva colllins!!!!!

i'm in a chair so i have to stick up for my fav drummer after all, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Agreed.

I also do not think there is enough evidence to say this is a knock on Phil Collins.

Alex and Geddy both have performed while sitting in chairs.

Yep, acoustic version of Resist in R30. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

That guy from Kansas. Chair. Don't have a problem with it - he plays great.

Axl touring with ACDC. Chair. Until he got healthy. No problem. Plus, the band got to play some old songs that Brian never wanted to or couldn't sing.

Nothing wrong with chairs.

• Like 2

I didn't see Phil Collins performing from a chair, but I did check it out on YouTube ... the voice is still there. And the fans seemed to love it.

It works for Phil Collins, but not for Alex. Which is perfectly ok.

• Like 1

Alex is certainly talking about Collins, but I don't think it's an intentional insult towards Collins. Have we ever known Alex to publicly insult anyone? IMO, he's just giving his personal philosophy on knowing when to quit.

Here is the full quote:

I mean, I get it, and I think for a lot of people, it's great. They reached that point in their lives after a long career in whatever it is that they do. It's weird in this [line of work] and I guess it's the same thing with athletes in professional sports when you come to the end, especially with us, and we still have gas in the tank. We [Rush] could have continued touring. If we had the strength, we could have continued touring. I think we were playing great. The last tour, I thought we played really, really well. I thought the show looked fantastic, and you could argue that that's the best way to go out.

That's where your legacy is intact, and that's how people remember you. They remember you at that show where you played that song that they've listened to for 40 years, and it was the best version they've ever heard of that song, and that's what they're left with. They're sad that it's over but at least they have that memory. Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that.

I've seen harsher digs at Phil. Remember that South Park episode? Noel Gallagher really doesn't like him but he's a wanker himself anyways.

That guy from Kansas. Chair. Don't have a problem with it - he plays great.

Axl touring with ACDC. Chair. Until he got healthy. No problem. Plus, the band got to play some old songs that Brian never wanted to or couldn't sing.

Nothing wrong with chairs.

No one at the Kansas show I went to was in a chair.. well except for the acoustic set they did to start the show where everyone was in a chair.

• Haha 1