Share A Good Memory

Principled Man

[it's quite simple! It can be small, it can be huge, it can be anything!]

Whew I was in grad school, Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders came to visit and gave a talk. She was great. She made a short yet poignant comment about fighting with the lobbyists and their ilk in Washington.

She said, "When you're fighting a bear and you're tired, you don't take a break. You wait until the bear is tired and takes a break."

Afterwards, there was a short line to say Hello. I got to shake her hand and say thanks. I told her, "You made me want to go bear hunting!"

Got a solid laugh from her..... :D

jOzmEUP.jpg

• Like 2

Going home on the way from the Rams celebration a month ago on the Exposition train line with many fans screaming "Who's house?" That camaraderie was just something else.

He's a fictional TV doctor played by Hugh Laurie.

• Like 3

Going home on the way from the Rams celebration a month ago on the Exposition train line with many fans screaming "Who's house?" That camaraderie was just something else.

Of Black Adder fame.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures tour, second of three shows, Reunion Arena, Dallas. Had seats in the upper deck, Ged's side. When YYZ started I got up and made my way around to the empty part of the upper deck behind the stage. Managed to make it unnoticed down to the bottom rung looking directly down on Neil. Just as his solo ended, I felt a tap on the shoulder. "Go back to your seat" was all he said. I backflipped all the way, though I was hoping to stay there the rest of the show.
  • Like 3

I was a teenager, our next door neighbour had been doing "Extra" rolls in movies for quite some time (the long white beard, the solemn face, etc.), often cast as a dinner guest.

He came to me and asked if I could show up for a movie set, could I bring a friend?

I did, and we sat around all day for a pay of sixty dollars. There was a catered lunch, lots of dressing up in period clothes (70s coal miners work suits, check that nobody had a modern watch, etc.).

After a few hours we were called to action and told to stand in a line as a helicopter landed.

Being told where to go and when to stand still, it was very exciting but strict with lots of commands and directions of what to do.

With faces smeared with black dust and political flyers being passed around, I was to meet a fellow and shake his hand.

At the very moment when I was shaking his hand, the director yelled "Cut!".

The guy told me to stand still and not let go of his hand, "keep still", he said.

I knew he was a semi-famous actor, I knew I was lucky to be a part of something - but the logistics, the surprise of being interrupted for something, the whole "stay put, be in the moment" part escaped me.

I stood there with my hand in his, we waited for a few minutes. It was a long few minutes with our hands holding together. But nobody moved.

Then it continued and the rest of the day was a bit of a blur.

I was holding Charles Bronson's hand, standing there waiting, him being very helpful, in the movie Act Of Vengeance, 1986.

Best sixty bucks I ever earned!

• Like 5

In 1989 I went with my parents and former husband to Denver to see a couple of hockey games. Our local hockey team the Golden Eagles were playing the Denver Rangers. It also happened that Marcel Dionne was there that night ( he had just retired from the New York Rangers that year). My mom wanted to get his autograph and he let us take his picture after the game. The next night the Denver team were giving out team photos and you could get them autographed. I'll never forget this (it was even better than meeting Dionne) here was my mom standing in line in her Golden Eagle jersey to get their autographs. One of the players chuckled and said you are in the wrong line, wrong team. They all laughed at that, then Mom grinned and said no I'm not, I'm a hockey fan and I know good players when I see them. Their goalie Mike Richter (who went on to win a Stanley Cup with the NY Rangers in 1994) grinned and said, I like you. Come on over here and I'll sign your picture. She ended up getting all of them to sign it and take her picture with them too. So cool..she's the reason I am a hockey fan. Love my Mom and I miss her lots. Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 5

Of Black Adder fame.

Loved him as Bertie Wooster in the Jeeves and Wooster series

• Like 3

Mentioned before, but always worth retelling.

Summer of '69, I'm working a summer job for Detroit Parks & Rec. at a golf course in a large park. The front 9 holes and the back 9 are separated by a pathway of 150 yards. If you so desired, you could choose to play 9 holes on the back 9. I would sit in a shack and assign tee times to players, up to a foursome. I get a call over the intercom from Chris, the club Pro, who says "put me down (reserve) a slot for 1:15. And when we get there don't say anything!"

Ok, no biggie. 1:10 rolls around, this built up brother saunters up, sweaty polo shirt, cargo shorts, sweaty visor, beat up pair of spikes, says, "I'm with Chris". I nod and carry on. He turns aside, I see his profile and it hits me. It's Lem Barney, at that time a cornerback for the Lions.

I hear a group of voices talking and laughing, the rest of the foursome; Chris the Pro in font. The pair behind Chris are all color coordinated-golf sweaters, slacks, spikes, McGregor golf bags, just stylin' and profilin'. One in red and white, the other in lavender and white. I look up and HOLY SHIT, the guy in red is Motown legend William "Smokey" Robinson, and HOLY f***ing SHIT, in lavender is Marvin Gaye.

Chris says, " PJ, what's up"? Remembering his warning, I nod and say, "Gentlemen, the 10th tee is yours." Hell, I think I was to stunned to say anything else!

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 8

Music is so important to me. I knew I wanted to be a drummer when I was 5 years old and hitting pots and pans with sticks from the back yard. I was in several bands through my early 20's but my parents brought me up right and the couple of chances to give it a shot, I stayed in school. I stopped playing for 20 years, had a couple of kids and then the urge hit again. Put an ad in the local newsletter looking for aging rock stars. We eventually formed a pretty good band and I will never forget the first gig at a local bar, packed with friends. What a rush! A couple of different bands later still going and loving it!

Mentioned before, but always worth retelling.

Summer of '69, I'm working a summer job for Detroit Parks & Rec. at a golf course in a large park. The front 9 holes and the back 9 are separated by a pathway of 150 yards. If you so desired, you could choose to play 9 holes on the back 9. I would sit in a shack and assign tee times to players, up to a foursome. I get a call over the intercom from Chris, the club Pro, who says "put me down (reserve) a slot for 1:15. And when we get there don't say anything!"

Ok, no biggie. 1:10 rolls around, this built up brother saunters up, sweaty polo shirt, cargo shorts, sweaty visor, beat up pair of spikes, says, "I'm with Chris". I nod and carry on. He turns aside, I see his profile and it hits me. It's Lem Barney, at that time a cornerback for the Lions.

I hear a group of voices talking and laughing, the rest of the foursome; Chris the Pro in font. The pair behind Chris are all color coordinated-golf sweaters, slacks, spikes, McGregor golf bags, just stylin' and profilin'. One in red and white, the other in lavender and white. I look up and HOLY SHIT, the guy in red is Motown legend William "Smokey" Robinson, and HOLY f***ing SHIT, in lavender is Marvin Gaye.

Chris says, " PJ, what's up"? Remembering his warning, I nod and say, "Gentlemen, the 10th tee is yours." Hell, I think I was to stunned to say anything else!

Lem was a helluva football player.

• Like 1