Golf hacking 2022

edhunter

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

If I'm standing thirty yards away from the flagstick, if you gave me a football, I could hit the flag. If you gave me a baseball, I could get it within an arm's length. But with a golf club in my hands? Is that a quarter swing? Half swing? I take "a" swing and watch it majestically soar up and straight at the pin . . . and land at the back of the green and roll off down a hill. I'm twelve feet away on a putt. How far back do I draw the putter? Well, there's the slope to consider, the quickness/slowness of the greens, so I pull it back, follow through, and watch my putt travel about half the distance to the cup. I try again, trying to match the pace and punch of the first one, thinking "two of those and I'm good" and it rolls three feet past.

Good news, I make the comebacker, and shot a 45 for the day!

When putting I love going 3 feet past the cup on a miss.  I hate being short

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, goose said:

When putting I love going 3 feet past the cup on a miss.  I hate being short

Another reason scramble golf bugs me is too many leave putts short. :P

Today's 51 was frustrating for a whole different set of reasons. There are 8 people in our Wednesday Friday group, but there is usually always at least one person out.  6 of the other 7 are really cool guys and I enjoy golfing with each of them. The 8th guy is a challenge because he just never shuts his mouth. Whether it's the bro talk encouragement or the constant analysis of what he did wrong on this or that shot. It's compounded because he is also the laziest worker in our building and he knows it and seems to revel in it. It's compounded even worse because his son and my daughter are actually really good friends and have their entire class schedule together. I usually manage to avoid being in his group but today I got stuck there.   I found myself paying more attention to what he was doing than myself because he tends to be generous with his scoring.  At the end of the round he told the 1st group that he had a 47 and I almost burst out laughing.  He gives himself any putt inside 5' if it's the 2nd putt.

But we don't play for money, and at the end of the day he did get me my full set of Cobra Speedzone clubs at half price so you just bite your tongue and deal with it.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

So this morning I sucked, but that wasn't what made the round so satisfying. I got paired with the loud mouth again,  but this time the other 2 in the group the group were the outspoken grumpy old retired Union pricks rather than the 2 soft spoken guys from the other day.   I just want to say I love grumpy old retired Union pricks.  They called the loudmouth out 3 times on his generous scoring and it was quite enjoyable to see him squirm. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, edhunter said:

Today's 51 was frustrating for a whole different set of reasons. There are 8 people in our Wednesday Friday group, but there is usually always at least one person out.  6 of the other 7 are really cool guys and I enjoy golfing with each of them. The 8th guy is a challenge because he just never shuts his mouth. Whether it's the bro talk encouragement or the constant analysis of what he did wrong on this or that shot. It's compounded because he is also the laziest worker in our building and he knows it and seems to revel in it. It's compounded even worse because his son and my daughter are actually really good friends and have their entire class schedule together. I usually manage to avoid being in his group but today I got stuck there.   I found myself paying more attention to what he was doing than myself because he tends to be generous with his scoring.  At the end of the round he told the 1st group that he had a 47 and I almost burst out laughing.  He gives himself any putt inside 5' if it's the 2nd putt.

But we don't play for money, and at the end of the day he did get me my full set of Cobra Speedzone clubs at half price so you just bite your tongue and deal with it.

I can tolerate those kind of guys if money isn't involved, but I wouldn't want to play every week with a guy like that.   

How are those clubs working out for you?

4 hours ago, edhunter said:

So this morning I sucked, but that wasn't what made the round so satisfying. I got paired with the loud mouth again,  but this time the other 2 in the group the group were the outspoken grumpy old retired Union pricks rather than the 2 soft spoken guys from the other day.   I just want to say I love grumpy old retired Union pricks.  They called the loudmouth out 3 times on his generous scoring and it was quite enjoyable to see him squirm. 

Golf is a game of honesty above all things.  Good for them on calling him out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, goose said:

I can tolerate those kind of guys if money isn't involved, but I wouldn't want to play every week with a guy like that.   

How are those clubs working out for you?

To be honest it's hard to say how well the clubs have worked out for me. When I first started golfing again 3 years ago or so I would shoot in the low sixties. Now I am in the low fifties,  but I also have taken some lessons.   If I could keep my head down consistently I think I could pick up another 3 or 4 shots per round but I just can't seem to keep from pulling my head up. 

My old clubs were a set of Mizuno blades that were from the early nineties or so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, goose said:

Golf is a game of honesty above all things.  Good for them on calling him out.  

It's the way they do it that makes it so awesome. He gave himself a 5 on the 4th hole today cause he one-armed  his 5-foot putt.  This was after he had crushed his drive to within about 80 yds.   We get to the next tee and the old guy says "How the f*** do you get a 7 after that drive?"

"No, I got a 5." 

"Bullshit, you never got near the hole!"

There was a similar occurrence on number 8 and 9. It was very enjoyable to watch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edhunter said:

To be honest it's hard to say how well the clubs have worked out for me. When I first started golfing again 3 years ago or so I would shoot in the low sixties. Now I am in the low fifties,  but I also have taken some lessons.   If I could keep my head down consistently I think I could pick up another 3 or 4 shots per round but I just can't seem to keep from pulling my head up. 

My old clubs were a set of Mizuno blades that were from the early nineties or so.

Staying down is fundamental, for sure.  Try a round using nothing but a 7-iron, wedge and putter with a singular commitment of thought to staying down.  You'll break 50 for sure

I`m pondering having a crack at golf again, after about a decade off. I had to stop because of CRPS which just destroyed any chance of pain free play, but I used to mess around in the range playing one-armed, like Jack Newton (but I was showing off to girlfriends. What woman doesn`t love a Friday night at the golf club?) I used to hit straight and well enough with either arm, but I`ll have to use my left arm so I`ll lose a lot of distance. There are so many courses around here in Scotland and I`m getting sick of passing them just to go shopping. 

• Like 2

First outing of the year went quite well.  Tee shots were the best I’ve had in years.  A couple bad chips and putts ruined my score, but overall, I was very happy.  

Happiness matters.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 6:58 PM, Principled Man said:

First outing of the year went quite well.  Tee shots were the best I’ve had in years.  A couple bad chips and putts ruined my score, but overall, I was very happy.  

Happiness matters.  :biggrin:

Chipping and putting is the game, really.  In fact, I think I'll get of my ass and go practice right now

6 hours ago, edhunter said:

I will have plenty of time with the net this week. Just tested positive for covid. The horrible taste in my mouth from the Paxlovid pills is worse than any symptoms I've had so far. 

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon. It's good you have the Paxlovid. Husband and I got covid just before Memorial Day and with the holiday weekend we were not able to get it within the 5 days. :(

Shot 80 yesterday, after posting a 44 on the front.  I had no idea I was even on the back nine till my buddy told me, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

Shot 80 yesterday, after posting a 44 on the front.  I had no idea I was even on the back nine till my buddy told me, lol.

That's being in the zone, I guess!

Today's round was cancelled by me because it's 107 degrees; too damn hot to enjoy, frankly. Roll on Friday.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:37 AM, Nova Carmina said:

That's being in the zone, I guess!

Today's round was cancelled by me because it's 107 degrees; too damn hot to enjoy, frankly. Roll on Friday.

Shot 80 and I finished out of the money, "beaten" by guys who get 22, 24 and 30 strokes.  Which is why I generally avoid leagues.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, Nova Carmina said:

I shot a 54 today.

That's all I have to say, and I won't be answering any questions. 

:mad:

18-under!  Impressive!!!

Monday I played in my stupid sandbagger league.  The format was a shamble, which meant guys were getting 20, 25, 30 strokes and not even having to rely on their own tee shot.  Knowing that to win anything I had to make at least birdie, and more likely eagle, course management was out the window.  I shot 94 or something.  So I went out yesterday and played a sensible round, committed to hitting no more club than I needed, and shot 80, a 40-40. :7up:

Of course I missed a 4-foot putt on hole 18 which would have gotten me a 79.  :mad:

Played today in one those charity scrambles where you get a strand of tape to use.  When a  ball is close to the hole you lay out the tape and break off that distance of the tape.  Ball is now "in the hole".  I was on fire, getting us on par 5s in two and a couple par 4s in one.  We finished with a -23 score of 49.

I'll let you know where that put us on the leaderboard...

1 hour ago, goose said:

Played today in one those charity scrambles where you get a strand of tape to use.  When a  ball is close to the hole you lay out the tape and break off that distance of the tape.  Ball is now "in the hole".  I was on fire, getting us on par 5s in two and a couple par 4s in one.  We finished with a -23 score of 49.

I'll let you know where that put us on the leaderboard...

Tenth, lol!

I haven't posted much because I have sucked, biggly.  But today I finally shot a round worth being happy about.  I only shot a 50, but I felt like I was in every hole except for one. I think it helped that I spent the extra 10 bucks to ride rather than walk in this humidity. The other foursome of our group walked and they were dead dog tired by the 6th hole, because every single hole until number 8 is either up or down a hill.  Plus the loudmouth didn't show up. We knew he wouldn't

• Like 1