Golf hacking 2022

edhunter

4 hours ago, edhunter said:

3. Oof 

It will happen whenever I figure out how to hit a 30 yard wedge.

When you've got it, let me know! I'm at the point where'd I'd almost rather be sixty yards out than thirty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

When you've got it, let me know! I'm at the point where'd I'd almost rather be sixty yards out than thirty.

Ugh.  Today was not the day.  Even my driver and 3 wood, which is where I feel strongest right now let me down for the most part. I watched a wedge lesson with some Brit on YouTube after I posted this morning and it helped somewhat,  but now I have to completely re-adjust how hard I swing.  And the 3 nice drives I did have were ruined when I yanked my 2nd shots to the right on all 3 holes. 

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:11 AM, Nova Carmina said:

I'd rather be 100yds, which for me is a full 60-degree wedge.  I hate hitting partial wedge shots.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, goose said:

I'd rather be 100yds, which for me is a full 60-degree wedge.  I hate hitting partial wedge shots.

Yeah, going full out I get, but as soon as I have to start calculating how much backswing, how much force, how much follow-through, I might as well add a stroke for each.

Played in a shambles yesterday at Plumas Pines, a beautiful course in GraeEagle CA.  Our foursome included two guys that played brutally slow, and the organizer must have known that because we were the final group in the shotgun start.  After just two holes we were a hole and a half behind.

I was money off the tee for our team, which felt great. Personal highlight was getting on in two on a 520yd par five and nearly holing out for eagle.  Lowlights included wildly hooking an 8-iron approach on our first hole and generally bad putting on furry greens.

Played nine holes Monday and got a hole in one. I had made birdie on the par 4 hole one by hitting a 135yd gap wedge two feet from a tough back pin.  Followed that with a weird double bogey after a great drive was followed by a strange bounce on my approach, leaving me in a bunker.  Hole three measured 137yds to a middle pin on a saddled green.  We could only see the top of the Flag.  When I hit it, I liked the line.  Arriving at the green I wondered if I'd gotten another crappy bounce, but as I walked past the hole, my ball was in it.

Made a 6 on the tough par 4 hole four.  Lol.  Settled in after that to card a 38.

• Like 1

Last time out for the weekly (weakly?) nine and shot a 48, which made me moderately happy, partly because it included a par on the par-3 that normally eats my lunch. 

We'll see what today brings.

• Like 1

I have been so freaking annoyingly consistent.  I start to make progress in one area and then something else goes to hell and I still finish with a 50.  Although I did par 2 holes on Friday which is the 1st time that that's happened in one round.  I choked 3 others.

• Like 2

Through the first six holes yesterday -- a 30; not too shabby for me. Last three holes -- 22; super shitty, even for me. I took a nine on a par 5 without losing a ball or anything: drive behind a tree, had to hit out sideways, skulled the third about forty yards, the fourth went right, the fifth was short of the green (there's those damn wedges again!), the sixth rolled past the hole to the back of the green, and three putts later, I'm tapping in for a disorienting nine. My putting was terrible all day. 

Roll on Friday.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 6:43 AM, edhunter said:

Forgot my spikes this morning.  Fresh dew on the grass, the round went about as well as you might expect. 

I played barefoot in a horse race yesterday.  I used to play barefoot all summer, and it kept me from over-swinging.  When I went back to wearing spiked shoes (out of courtesy to the league I joined) I had a hard time at first.  I over cranked everything.

12 hours ago, goose said:

I played barefoot in a horse race yesterday.  I used to play barefoot all summer, and it kept me from over-swinging.  When I went back to wearing spiked shoes (out of courtesy to the league I joined) I had a hard time at first.  I over cranked everything.

How long did it take you to get used to playing barefoot? (I assume you didn't start that way?). I could never because I'd be thinking too much about how weird it would feel.

28 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

How long did it take you to get used to playing barefoot? (I assume you didn't start that way?). I could never because I'd be thinking too much about how weird it would feel.

In the hot summer the cool grass felt so good it took no time at all to adjust. The mental side of barefoot golf- the "aloha" attitude it brings - was a big part of what I enjoyed  It was fun Wednesday to re-visit it.

• Like 1

Played nine holes with my buddy Mike this pm.  68 degrees, slight breeze, perfect weather.  Made back to back birdies on holes 6 & 7.  The rest were pars.  It didn't sink in how well I'd played till after the round, it was so easy.

Golf, lol

23 hours ago, goose said:

Played nine holes with my buddy Mike this pm.  68 degrees, slight breeze, perfect weather.  Made back to back birdies on holes 6 & 7.  The rest were pars.  It didn't sink in how well I'd played till after the round, it was so easy.

Golf, lol

It's a great feeling when you just KNOW you have the windmills timed just right...

• Haha 2

I had a rare day today with 3 plus hours of downtime. I'm still sitting on my couch right now enjoying some of it.  I had my clubs with me but neither  course could get me on  where I could play 9 and get back and punch out in 8 hours.  So I bought a $10 bucket and hit 75 balls. The signs at the range are way off though. There's no way I hit a 5 hybrid 225. That's my 3 would on my absolute best day.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, edhunter said:

I had a rare day today with 3 plus hours of downtime. I'm still sitting on my couch right now enjoying some of it.  I had my clubs with me but neither  course could get me on  where I could play 9 and get back and punch out in 8 hours.  So I bought a $10 bucket and hit 75 balls. The signs at the range are way off though. There's no way I hit a 5 hybrid 225. That's my 3 would on my absolute best day.

WOULD

WOULD

WOULD

21 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

WOULD

WOULD

WOULD

I'd like to use a club over the head of whoever designed Samsung's new voice text program.  I can't count how many times it will initially print the correct word and then change it after a moment. 

• Like 2

I haven't posted recently because my continuing stories of how I got today's 51 must be boring as h***.  But I just want to say that today's 51 really really REALLY pissed me off!  7 good to unbelievable drives, for me at least.  6 of them followed by lousy 2nd shots which blew my chance at a par.  It drives me nuts that things that were a weakness 2 months ago are now getting much stronger, and all of a sudden things that I had figured out are screwing up again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edhunter said:

I haven't posted recently because my continuing stories of how I got today's 51 must be boring as h***.  But I just want to say that today's 51 really really REALLY pissed me off!  7 good to unbelievable drives, for me at least.  6 of them followed by lousy 2nd shots which blew my chance at a par.  It drives me nuts that things that were a weakness 2 months ago are now getting much stronger, and all of a sudden things that I had figured out are screwing up again.

It's like you're describing my round for the day!

In the hottest week of the summer so far, I've managed to get out and play 36 holes -- nine on Tuesday (shot a 52 with an 8 [!]), 18 on Wednesday in a four-man scramble (I don't know what we shot, but it was over par, so in a scramble that's probably good for last place; you get an idea of how well we did if I tell you about half the shots we used were mine -- and it took 6.5 hours!), and nine today (shot a 51 after starting 7-7). So, in fewer words, more of the same.

Can't wait til next week!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

It's like you're describing my round for the day!

In the hottest week of the summer so far, I've managed to get out and play 36 holes -- nine on Tuesday (shot a 52 with an 8 [!]), 18 on Wednesday in a four-man scramble (I don't know what we shot, but it was over par, so in a scramble that's probably good for last place; you get an idea of how well we did if I tell you about half the shots we used were mine -- and it took 6.5 hours!), and nine today (shot a 51 after starting 7-7). So, in fewer words, more of the same.

Can't wait til next week!

Where do you live? It's actually been fairly mild here this week weak in Massachusetts.

3 minutes ago, edhunter said:

Where do you live? It's actually been fairly mild here this week weak in Massachusetts.

Missouri, home of heat indices over 103 all week!

Yeah, the footage from the Country Club looks like it's quite comfortable golf weather thereabouts.

Played Wednesday on a scramble.  While I enjoyvthe social side of a scramble, I generally hate the golf.  The reason being that course management goes out the window in favor of gorilla golf.  I drove the ball great, but using driver meant leaving us 60-80yd  approach shots all round.  Blecch!!

• Like 1

If I'm standing thirty yards away from the flagstick, if you gave me a football, I could hit the flag. If you gave me a baseball, I could get it within an arm's length. But with a golf club in my hands? Is that a quarter swing? Half swing? I take "a" swing and watch it majestically soar up and straight at the pin . . . and land at the back of the green and roll off down a hill. I'm twelve feet away on a putt. How far back do I draw the putter? Well, there's the slope to consider, the quickness/slowness of the greens, so I pull it back, follow through, and watch my putt travel about half the distance to the cup. I try again, trying to match the pace and punch of the first one, thinking "two of those and I'm good" and it rolls three feet past.

Good news, I make the comebacker, and shot a 45 for the day!

• Like 1