Golf hacking 2022

edhunter

I figured we could use a fresh thread to share our thrills and nightmares of this coming season. I finally got out for the 1st time last week and shot right where I always do.

The next day I went to my guitarist's house for rehearsing for some upcoming gigs. He only picked up the game 3 years ago but he makes a lot of money. He and his wife have become so obsessed that they have memberships at 1 private and one public club and they just spent about 50 grand on an addition to their house to build a state-of-the-art simulator. We played Pebble Beach and according to that I shot a 135. The funniest moment came when I teed up a 3 wood, which I usually never do. I always hit it off the deck. The ball went dead straight in the air and smacked off the polyurethane cover of the computer system camera. For a second I thought he was going to have a heart attack and drop right there.

• Like 1

No new news to report for me; I was supposed to go out today, but the wind is cold, the ground is soaked, and I've got a spring training game on, so no golf today. I hope to get out a couple of times next week.

I haven't played in a month or so. I joined a Monday group that kicks off April 4.

MLK Day this year I had a nasty ski accident in which I had a major concussion, was in and out for 30 minutes, and got care-flighted. Somehow I walked away with just badly bruised ribs and sternum, plus a fractured right orbital (eye bone) in two places. I was completely out of action for three weeks or so till I got so stir crazy I had to get out. My buddy was going golfing, so I joined him, thinking I'd just swing a wedge and see how it felt.

Turns out that rotating my chest didn't hurt at all, so I tried other clubs, swing easy and being sure not to move my head at all. Shot 75, lol, including an eagle 3 on the closing par 5 (275 drive, 230 3wood, four foot putt). Easy game of you let it be.

We went out this morning and got poured on. 3 of the 7 of us chickened out, but the rest of us that played had a good time. I am soaked to the bone everywhere but my feet. My new shoes were the best money ever spent.
  • Like 1

We went out this morning and got poured on. 3 of the 7 of us chickened out, but the rest of us that played had a good time. I am soaked to the bone everywhere but my feet. My new shoes were the best money ever spent.

Now that's passion for the game! I'm more of a fair weather golfer, myself.

I loved rounds like that, where you give proper consideration over keeping your grips and glove dry, take into a green with no run, miss the fairway and your shins get wet etc. (Gets people off the course too).

I loved rounds like that, where you give proper consideration over keeping your grips and glove dry, take into a green with no run, miss the fairway and your shins get wet etc. (Gets people off the course too).

We had the entire course to ourselves! It's just a public 9-hole, but it's usually quite busy. The sun came out as we were coming down 9, so there was a group heading up 1. I was surprised at how well I played for the conditions. I had par putts on 1,4,5,6,7,& 9. I didn't make any of them but I've never had a round where I had that many opportunities. My poor wedge play again cost me at least 5-7 shots. I've scheduled a lesson with the teacher I used 2 years ago to work on it.

Northern Nevada weather reared it's head for the first day of league play at Toiyabe GC. Cold, cloudy, with wind howling down from the Sierras. It was tough not to get quick with the swing, and couple that with playing skins from forward tees, it was an hilariously ugly round for me. Rather than tee off with an 8 iron, I blasted the driver into hazards, OB, behind trees. +12 in penalty strokes, but still I broke 100 with some clutch putting. A smooth 99. :lol:

And it's only taken one round for this new league to erupt in drama. The curse we play is giving us a discounted rate, and in return asks that players have their credit card on file with the understanding that you will be charged for playing if you don't cancel 24hours before tee off. Also, they have provided a lunch option that you can sign up for each round, $10 for a burger, fries and a beer. Sure enough, some folks signed up for the burger deal, but bailed after the round and didn't eat. Now they are bitching that they were charged for what they chose to sign up for. :codger:

Also, folks are going off on the card requirement, saying they'd prefer cash. A 5-minute check-in with pre-paid via card vs. a 45-minute line to pay cash? :codger: :codger: :codger:

lol

• Like 1

I'd like to try and get back into playing golf this year. Work gets in the way of doing pretty much anything besides work (a vicious cycle!) but I have a set of Cobras that I picked up a few years ago that I've barely used, and I'd like to give them some much-deserved abuse.
  • Like 1

And it's only taken one round for this new league to erupt in drama. The curse we play

I am choosing to believe Goose did this on purpose, because it's absolutely correct . . .

:lol:

My course requires a prepay to book online, and since I book for the 8 of us, that's a no-go. I check to see the time we want is available and then book on the phone first thing in the morning. Because of more rain coming, 7 of the 8 of us bagged out this morning. The 8th was comped his round, and the rain held off till the 9th hole. Dammit.

Had 5 out of our 8 show up this morning for a round in the mist. One was sick, 1 took some early overtime and the final guy was just a flat out p****. I could spill my water bottle walking up to the 1st tee and he would cancel because of the conditions. Have to say I played OK, got my 1st par of the year on a 165-yard uphill par 3. My 2 biggest problems are still that I don't keep my head down, and I can't hit a wedge to save my life. That's the difference between the 52 I scored and the 42 I know I have. When my driver is on I am as long as anyone in our group, But some of them are still scoring 39's and 40's.

Had 5 out of our 8 show up this morning for a round in the mist. One was sick, 1 took some early overtime and the final guy was just a flat out p****. I could spill my water bottle walking up to the 1st tee and he would cancel because of the conditions. Have to say I played OK, got my 1st par of the year on a 165-yard uphill par 3. My 2 biggest problems are still that I don't keep my head down, and I can't hit a wedge to save my life. That's the difference between the 52 I scored and the 42 I know I have. When my driver is on I am as long as anyone in our group, But some of them are still scoring 39's and 40's.

short game is everything. That's really all I ever work on. My buddies like to bang balls on the range, where I'd rather spend an hour pitching, chipping and putting. The long game is really just an extension of those strokes.

Nightmare of a round today. On 8 of the 9 holes I was on the green with a par putt. On 6 of the 8 I 3-putted and the other 2 I missed the par putt. Finished with a 51. Drove the ever living crap out of the ball and even reached the 409 yd 8th hole in 2, which I had never done.

I'll get there. Going out again on Friday morning.

Nightmare of a round today. On 8 of the 9 holes I was on the green with a par putt. On 6 of the 8 I 3-putted and the other 2 I missed the par putt. Finished with a 51. Drove the ever living crap out of the ball and even reached the 409 yd 8th hole in 2, which I had never done.

I'll get there. Going out again on Friday morning.

Congrats on having success tee to green!

The weather has taken a nasty turn, but there was a midday window yesterday where the sun broke. I went a course to hit balls and saw the front nine wide open, so I decided to go out instead. I played 3 or 4 balls on every shot, which was great practice. My approaches missed the green on most of the early holes, but my chipping and pitching was good enough to get me bogies and usually one par. By the end I was getting 3 of four balls in for par. Felt good.

18 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

FR75OOnXwAYp18B?format=jpg&name=large

Saw this and thought that it might be fun.

I got 10.

3. Oof 

I am currently sitting at my regular course right now waiting for the rest of my group to arrive. I drop my daughter off at seminary at 6 AM and it's not worth going back home for 30 minutes,   so I get here early and relax for an hour.  I love just sitting here as the sun starts to come up. I always think "today is the day." There are 2 holes left on this course that I've still never parred.  It will happen whenever I figure out how to hit a 30 yard wedge.

Edited by edhunter