Questions for Terry Brown?

Rod in Toronto

Hey everyone,

I got a response from Terry Brown about my request to interview him. It won't be a recorded interview, but he will write his replies to my questions. I was wondering if you guys had any questions for him? It can be related to anything - Rush, Fates Warning, Voivod...let me know your questions, and I will add them to my list!

• Like 6

Was he asked to produce any RUSH albums after he did Signals?

Will there be a 40th Anniversary Edition of Signals? And what about the other 80's albums?

Does he know Tom Allom? I see Tom as the Terry Brown of Judas Priest!

• Like 2

Rod this is so big!

Questions for Terry... hm... I will think of some!

How about: What's a funny or heartwarming memory he has of Rush or Neil in the studio?

• Like 1

If he had produced the thin sounding albums like HYF and RTB, what different choices would he have made?
  • Like 3

Oh, who are some of his favorite producers? Maybe some of his all time favorites and also some of his current ones.

If he had produced the thin sounding albums like HYF and RTB, what different choices would he have made?

Hold Your Fire is produced fine, it's Presto that's got the worst production values.

I'd argue RTB sounds worse than Presto, if only because it actually tries to rock out, whereas Presto has a bunch of weird poppy songs.

RTB is far and away the wimpiest sounding Rush album, even more so than HYF or Presto. Because as someone just pointed out, the songs were meant to rock out (Face Up, Neurotica) but are held in check by the thinnest weakest mix and sound ever. But it's not all on Rupert Hine, Alex was the one who was recording with such jangly tinny guitar tones and Geddy was still using his pinky-dinky Wal basses. You can't possibly record an aggressive sounding song with those particular guitars. And I don't know why Neil's drums sounded like Tupperware. (Think the beginning fill of You Bet Your Life)

RTB and original mix Vapor Trails are both almost unlistenable past four songs but for completely opposite reasons. One is lacking balls the other too loud and aggressive

• Like 3

I've not played a Wal, but i imagine you can get some real bottom end out of one with the right settings. One of the choices or influences perhaps Broon could have made as a producer on those records. Which feeds back into my question above. ;)

Also, Geddy played the Wal on PoW... which isn't such a bad sounding record, all things considered.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I've not played a Wal, but i imagine you can get some real bottom end out of one with the right settings. One of the choices or influences perhaps Broon could have made as a producer on those records. Which feeds back into my question above. ;)

Also, Geddy played the Wal on PoW... which isn't such a bad sounding record, all things considered.

I think PoW and HYF sound fantastic. The first Rush album that doesn't sound fantastic is Presto, but that quality kinda works for Presto's other quirky qualities. RTB is the first one where the production is really sucking life out of the songs.

• Like 2

I think PoW and HYF sound fantastic. The first Rush album that doesn't sound fantastic is Presto, but that quality kinda works for Presto's other quirky qualities. RTB is the first one where the production is really sucking life out of the songs.

I'm gonna' have to double down here on my assertion. HYF sounds like ass. A very crisp, digital, thin ass.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lowest note on the whole record is middle C. hahah. And if not, then someone EQ'd out all the lower harmonics.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I'm gonna' have to double down here on my assertion. HYF sounds like ass. A very crisp, digital, thin ass.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lowest note on the whole record is middle C. hahah. And if not, then someone EQ'd out all the lower harmonics.

I've never had trouble with is mix wise. Now there are a few compositions on it I'm not too thrilled with, and generally it's less perfect than PoW.

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire is produced fine, it's Presto that's got the worst production values.

I'd argue RTB sounds worse than Presto, if only because it actually tries to rock out, whereas Presto has a bunch of weird poppy songs.

Obviously you hear it a bit differently than me!

Well I like it.

• Like 2

The difference is I hear it in the Available Light! You just hear it with War Paint on. :poke:

The difference is I hear it in the Available Light! You just hear it with War Paint on. :poke:

How you hear it doesn't make any difference to me.

• Like 1

How you hear it doesn't make any difference to me.

It shouldn't!

Congrats! That is huge!

My question would be, What qualities about Rush made him want to keep working with them after the first album? (Besides being paid, lol.) What did he see or hear in them that made him interested?

• Like 3

Will there be a 40th Anniversary Edition of Signals?

Both great questions, but any albums after Signals is a burning question for me!

I'll go one further and ask:

"Did you ever ask the guys/Ray if you could produce another album after Signals?"

I interviewed Terry in a similar fashion to you (written answers via email) for a University assignment I was doing about 10 years ago. You'll get some GREAT answers that's for sure! :)

Terry was originally going to come over TO MY HOUSE to do the interview (he was obviously in England at the time) but unfortunately schedules changed at the last minute, so we had to do written answers :( :(

I thought about asking him these questions then, but I didn't know how he'd take the questions (especially if we had done the interview in person).

It was a shame, but it would have been nerve wacking IN THE LEAST to be literally feet away from my main production inspiration!! Oh well, what might have been...

Good luck with the interview, and please keep us updated :)

• Like 4

Will there be a 40th Anniversary Edition of Signals?

Both great questions, but any albums after Signals is a burning question for me!

I'll go one further and ask:

"Did you ever ask the guys/Ray if you could produce another album after Signals?"

I interviewed Terry in a similar fashion to you (written answers via email) for a University assignment I was doing about 10 years ago. You'll get some GREAT answers that's for sure! :)

Terry was originally going to come over TO MY HOUSE to do the interview (he was obviously in England at the time) but unfortunately schedules changed at the last minute, so we had to do written answers :( :(

I thought about asking him these questions then, but I didn't know how he'd take the questions (especially if we had done the interview in person).

It was a shame, but it would have been nerve wacking IN THE LEAST to be literally feet away from my main production inspiration!! Oh well, what might have been...

Good luck with the interview, and please keep us updated :)

That's a cool story, man!!! Terry was very generous when I met him in person outside of the movie theater after Cinema Strangiato in 2019. That was the first time I asked him for an interview, and he didn't get back to me. I decided to follow up AGAIN recently, and he finally agreed to it. I hope I get some cool responses, but I'm mindful of making it too much about Rush. I'll massage the questions I received, and see what kind of replies I get from him. Will keep you posted for sure!

• Like 4

Hey everyone,

I got a response from Terry Brown about my request to interview him. It won't be a recorded interview, but he will write his replies to my questions. I was wondering if you guys had any questions for him? It can be related to anything - Rush, Fates Warning, Voivod...let me know your questions, and I will add them to my list!

How difficult was it for Rush to transition from recording bed tracks "off the floor" as a band, to tracking individual performances? Whose idea was it? Do you feel that what was gained by such an approach overcame any losses?

• Like 2

I hope I get some cool responses, but I'm mindful of making it too much about Rush. I'll massage the questions I received, and see what kind of replies I get from him. Will keep you posted for sure!

I was trying to think of a question to ask him about Rush, but I could see where perhaps he would get tired of that stuff.

I would be curious to know if he saw any trouble between James LaBrie and Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater. Did their troubles show up after he was done working with them or did he see problems even back then?

• Like 1