Oddball band match-up - Styx vs. Marillion

treeduck

Styx vs Marillion  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two bands do you like better?

It`s better to be named after a river in hell than anything by Tolkein, but Marillion made enough good stuff with Fish - and early enough in my life to make an impact - that they still get a regular listen.

I love both bands but both are very different musically.

Based on the Fish-era output, I voted Marillion. (BTW the new Marillion album is very good indeed!!)

• Like 1

I like both bands equally

( whilst both are good , neither are in in my Top 10 )

so had to choose option 3

Edited by Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios

Based on the Fish-era output, I voted Marillion. (BTW the new Marillion album is very good indeed!!)

I've never liked Marillion, they just never appealed to me. I do like some of the artwork though from the FISH era. :joker: <<< Jester's Tears

• Like 1

I've never liked Marillion, they just never appealed to me. I do like some of the artwork though from the FISH era. :joker: <<< Jester's Tears

Not everyone's cup of tea but in 1983, prog was a dirty word in the music industry (particularly the UK music press).

Then along came Marillion who stuck two fingers up to all those tossers in mags like NME and pretty much invented neo-prog. It was glorious!

• Like 4

Not everyone's cup of tea but in 1983, prog was a dirty word in the music industry (particularly the UK music press).

Then along came Marillion who stuck two fingers up to all those tossers in mags like NME and pretty much invented neo-prog. It was glorious!

It`s a tough crowd that can`t enjoy some of the early Marillion. The exact same tough crowd that boo`d them when they opened for Rush, I guess. If you don`t like the music, just sit back with a different CD and enjoy the sumptuous sleeve art by Mark Wilkinson. :lol:
  • Like 3

It`s a tough crowd that can`t enjoy some of the early Marillion. The exact same tough crowd that boo`d them when they opened for Rush, I guess. If you don`t like the music, just sit back with a different CD and enjoy the sumptuous sleeve art by Mark Wilkinson. :lol:

I even bought Jody Watley albums over Marillion! :16ton:

• Like 1

:tsk: Nobody knows who that is! :no:
  • Like 1

His work is amazing.

• Like 2

:tsk: Nobody knows who that is! :no:

Exactly! :lol:

• Like 1

I mean, you all KNOW how much I love Fish....but Styx has been my band since 1980 (before Rush, they were a short time later)...so it had to be Styx.

Srtx far and away.

i love Fish era Marilliion though. Everything after Fish........snooze. well i should say at least every Hogarth album i've heard.

just not an engaging singer AT ALL

but i ADORE Styx

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Styx all day everyday!!!

I love almost everything they have ever done. What I don't love I mostly really like (yes, even Kilroy Was Here has grown on me). Easily one of my favourite bands

• Like 2