Battle of the decade - the 1960s! (preliminaries)

Slime

Which year of the 1960s was the BEST for music? It's time for the battle to start!

(1960-1969)

For each year of the 1960s, which year featured the best album releases and live shows??

Nominate up to FIVE individual years as your top five. Give your reasons why too, of course!

Your top choice will be given 5 points, your next choice will be given 4 points, 3rd best gets 3 points and so on all the way down for your top 5.

EXAMPLE ballot

"I vote as follows: 1967 (5 points), 1962 (4 points), 1961 (3 points), 1969 (2), 1965 (1)"

After some time, I'll tabulate all the points and have the years battle each other out playoffs style!

Bottom two vote-getters will be eliminated right away, the remaining 8 will be seeded a la the NHL playoffs based on their point totals (#1 faces #8, #2 faces #7 etc...)

Look forward to the discussion and potential upsets!

I can think of three... the 60's are kind of hard for me to think of in those terms. There's at least two major divisions in that decade.

1968- 5 points. The begining of many heavy rock bands. Steppenwolf, Grand Funk Railroad, Zep l (released in Oct. '68 in the UK)... which makes 1969 #2. 4 points. These two years lit the rocket that was the 1970's which is the beginning of my genuine interest in music and where most of my album collection starts.

1966- 3 points. A pivotal year. From pop records with a couple of hits to album oriented music. Hey hey The Monkees started here. Good enough. Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.

I purely just don't know enough about the first three years or so of the 60's. I'm more of a 70's guy.

Edit... Damn, how could I forget Cream? 1966. There. Now I Feel Free.

Ha.

Edited by ozzy85
  • Like 3

I mean the unspoken truth about most classic rock fans is the 60s only have a few bands that get regularly listened to, and all of them did better in the late 60s than the early 60s (if they were even around back then). To make arguments for any year pre 66, you either have to be a massive early Beatles and early Dylan mark, or have a working knowledge of soul, jazz, blues, and other genres from those years. Jazz in particularly had reached a very weird and pivotal point by 1959 or so, and my understanding is many of the most classic records of the language came out of the period from around 57 to 65, though I’ve heard relatively few of them (all of them have been great though). A Love Supreme by John Coltrane is more progressive than most of what came out of the prog rock movement’s golden years, and John released it in 1964! 

but anyway, what I’m really trying to say is you might get more turnout for this thread if you just asked people to rank the last 3 or four years of the decade, cuz honestly most of us don’t really know much that came before it.