5000 posts to 5 million! Who will the poster be and when will the post be made?

laughedatbytime

so 165,500 posts until 5 million?

now it's a party! buckle up folks

For the moment. That deficit is going to be much larger before the week is out.

Why not do the purging after we hit the 5MM mark?

Or is it absolutely critical for performance at this point to do that trimming? If so.... would we ever really hit the 5MM mark?

Yes, we need to get this place running smoothly again ASAP. Can't keep having those 404 errors. The sooner we can trim down the main database, the better.

I would rather have archived those old game threads instead of deleting them but the process of archiving large threads further slows down the board -- we had several of those threads with well over 10,000 posts in each, and it would have taken days to archive just one of them.

• Like 1

Or is it absolutely critical for performance at this point to do that trimming? If so.... would we ever really hit the 5MM mark?

Turns out I never deleted all those old TOST threads. I thought I did, but we still have them all, they're just stored away in a hidden dump area. Between those and 17 years worth of duplicates and other such threads, that's another almost 600,000 posts that could be deleted.

Reaching 5K? We might be celebrating re-reaching 4K!

• Like 2

Turns out I never deleted all those old TOST threads. I thought I did, but we still have them all, they're just stored away in a hidden dump area. Between those and 17 years worth of duplicates and other such threads, that's another almost 600,000 posts that could be deleted.

Reaching 5K? We might be celebrating re-reaching 4K!

As it should be.

It appears that the 5 millionth post has already been made, since the number in the url for a post contains a number greater than 5 million.  Not sure how to find the actual 5 millionth post but it would be interesting to know.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, laughedatbytime said:

It appears that the 5 millionth post has already been made, since the number in the url for a post contains a number greater than 5 million.  Not sure how to find the actual 5 millionth post but it would be interesting to know.

Right, this post of mine is post number 5,008,883. Finding the 5 millionth would be possible if someone wanted to take the time to figure out how long ago 8,883 posts was.