Lorraine has passed

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

My first interaction with Lorraine was in late 2013, in a now somewhat infamous thread that shall remain nameless (those were fun times). She was very witty, and at times quite blunt, a quality that I know some here found offensive, but I very much admired.

Then, in late 2016, around the time her husband had his first stroke, my own mother suddenly fell very ill, passing away in a nursing home almost a year later. Lorraine exchanged many private messages with me over those months, always offering words of comfort and advice, despite having to deal with the illness of her husband.

There were lighter moments in those messages as well. We talked about our cats -we both had white cats at the time. She had Lily and I had Snowball. She also told me to make sure that I was eating enough, saying that if I didn't keep up my strength I'd be in no condition to help anyone else!

Lorraine was a special member of this forum, and I can only hope that she's finally found some much-deserved peace and rest.

• Like 14

The spring has been very cool so far, round 7 - 10 'C. I still haven't planted the sunflowers, it's too cold. I hope I can do this soon so that there will be sunflowers in the summer to commemorate Lorraine. 

• Like 6

So sad to read this :(

Truly a wonderful woman and a great friend to me, and many on here.

I often used to share this song with her, to put a smile on her face.

:music:

She's got a pair of eyes
That are brighter than the summer sky
When you see them, you'll realize
Why I love my sweet Lorraine

:music:

Rest in Peace my Sweet Lorraine :hug2: :monalisa: :rose:

• Like 10

I guess I am not quite done with this journey. I don't know exactly what to say, but I still feel the need to say something.

Thank you to her friends (and family?) on the Forums who helped those of us who were strangers but felt connected in some way.

All the loving posts and encouraging thoughts, and so public yet so respectful and honest. You all are great folks :smile:

I need to say thank you, again, for joining us all together. It seems short, now, but during those months it felt long and a daily question of "Who wrote something today?", "Will she reply today?".

So, yes life moves on. I just feel that I need to say, out loud, that it was a very emotional and courageous thing to do - sharing one's painful trip to the other side.

I am sure we all hope that the wind is still filling her sails and the horizon is full of wonderful memories and funny Rush stories. 

Keep sailing away, Lorraine, sail away to wherever you want. You are free. 

• Like 8

lorraine really was cool as hell. she tried to get me into drug counseling while she was alive because she was just the type of person to give a shit about a complete stranger who really didn't deserve her time. now I can say I've been off any sort of drugs and alcohol for close to a month and I'm feeling great. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, bathory said:

lorraine really was cool as hell. she tried to get me into drug counseling while she was alive because she was just the type of person to give a shit about a complete stranger who really didn't deserve her time. now I can say I've been off any sort of drugs and alcohol for close to a month and I'm feeling great. 

Good for you. Keep going. We're here for you and proud of your success and strength.

• Like 6

My mother has sunflowers growing in the countryside. I was thinking about Lorraine as I was watering them last week on a hot day on my vacation back home. I decided to buy sunflowers to my balcony as the early summer was so cold I didn't feel like planting anything then.

• Like 6

On 6/25/2022 at 6:44 PM, bathory said:

As a stranger, also, may I try to offer congratulations?

I have read that a month can be a very long time when every day, hours within a day, can present many triggers.

(By the by, your signature still says...)

I was entering the parking lot of the local LCBO recently (our provincial liquor control board outlet). I saw this guy approach the front door and then turn around and walk back the way he came. I immediately thought of the times I turned around at a store front because I had forgotten to grab a mask from the box I kept in the car.

I rolled down the window and asked if they forgot their mask, I have plenty, would they like one?

He replied "No, I changed my mind. I don't need a drink today".

I watched him walk away and frankly, I was learning something in that moment. I was privy to a moment in time of somebody else's challenge that I really never considered before.

Thanks for sharing bathory. And may you stay strong in your conviction :wave:

• Like 5

On 3/13/2023 at 4:09 AM, Leanne said:

It definitely doesn't feel like its been a year.

I agree. I still keep thinking about her a lot.

Rest in peace, Lorraine. :rose:

• Like 5

I imagine wherever she is, she is smiling, and free of the sickness that took her- maybe having a rueful laugh and missing us, too. 

She was quite a presence here.

Oh, and one other thing- she’s definitely listening to Steely Dan right now.

• Like 7