Lorraine has passed

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Just last October she still made me giggle.

Somebody signed up to promote their new novel and got razzed pretty good right from the get go.

Then Lorraine chimes in with:

No one here knows how to read.Does it have pictures? Maybe we will buy it to look at the pictures.

Thanks for sharing this. Here's the thread, with other classic Lorraine posts...just a sample of why so many cherished her.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/112980-my-new-book-2115/page__st__40

• Like 9

Farewell, Sweet Lorraine. Until we meet again in the sky!
  • Like 11

Following along on her journey was horrifying and awful and so sad. And while I'm sure it wasn't her intention at all, I do hope that if it gets even just one of our friends on here to pay that much more attention to their own health and get that colonoscopy they've been putting off, then her death will not have been in vain. As we all saw, and I think she said as much, cancer is not for sissies. If you are due for any kind of screening - colonoscopy, mammo, prostate - DO IT. Or if you have weird symptoms, don't ignore them. Early prevention doesn't automatically mean you'll live to tell the tale, but it MIGHT and the earlier stuff is caught, the better chance you have. I'm not a doctor but this much I know. I'm not pointing fingers at her, either. Maybe earlier detection might have saved her - she had symptoms the year before but didn't deal with it, poor thing, she was probably just so overwhelmed with the husband and all HIS medical issues. It sounds like he was more than a handful.

And I get it, I've had 2 colonoscopies and I know the prep is yucky, but it's improved even over the past five years. And it's like, one night, and that's it. I think of it as a no-cost super cleanse! And the procedure itself? Nothing. I literally said "take care of me ladies" to the nurses and boom, I was out. And then woke up "five minutes" later (half an hour maybe?) and was fine. One polyp burned off, it was benign, and that's that. Go back in 5 years. Done.

That's your PSA. I know there's those on here that are too young to have to worry about this right now, but I'm planting the seed! I don't want any of us to die this way ever again.

• Like 17

I can say that the Cologuard poop test is an interesting way to screen.

Poop in a cup, hand it off the UPS and wait for results.

Not as accurate as a real colonoscopy, but close enough. At least for how I'd like to manage risk.

• Like 4

I can say that the Cologuard poop test is an interesting way to screen.

Poop in a cup, hand it off the UPS and wait for results.

Not as accurate as a real colonoscopy, but close enough. At least for how I'd like to manage risk.

Poop in a cup? I don't think my aim is that good lol.

• Like 1

I had a strong feeling in my gut to sign on tonight.

I had a feeling Lorraine was gone.

Although not a shock I am very upset.

Although we never met in person, Lorraine and I were very close.

She helped me get through my brutal divorce in 2015.

An amazing and beautiful woman inside and out.

Although I am sad, she will always be a shining spirit in my heart, mind and soul.

I love you Lorraine!

Always………

• Like 14

Following along on her journey was horrifying and awful and so sad. And while I'm sure it wasn't her intention at all, I do hope that if it gets even just one of our friends on here to pay that much more attention to their own health and get that colonoscopy they've been putting off, then her death will not have been in vain. As we all saw, and I think she said as much, cancer is not for sissies. If you are due for any kind of screening - colonoscopy, mammo, prostate - DO IT. Or if you have weird symptoms, don't ignore them. Early prevention doesn't automatically mean you'll live to tell the tale, but it MIGHT and the earlier stuff is caught, the better chance you have. I'm not a doctor but this much I know. I'm not pointing fingers at her, either. Maybe earlier detection might have saved her - she had symptoms the year before but didn't deal with it, poor thing, she was probably just so overwhelmed with the husband and all HIS medical issues. It sounds like he was more than a handful.

And I get it, I've had 2 colonoscopies and I know the prep is yucky, but it's improved even over the past five years. And it's like, one night, and that's it. I think of it as a no-cost super cleanse! And the procedure itself? Nothing. I literally said "take care of me ladies" to the nurses and boom, I was out. And then woke up "five minutes" later (half an hour maybe?) and was fine. One polyp burned off, it was benign, and that's that. Go back in 5 years. Done.

That's your PSA. I know there's those on here that are too young to have to worry about this right now, but I'm planting the seed! I don't want any of us to die this way ever again.

At first, I "liked" your post.

I had to re-log in, to lend support.

Laurabw, you are reminding us of Lorraine's message, really.

Yes, she shared her journey and as awkward as it felt, at times, we chose to join her.

But she also warned us, and you are reminding us of that.

Lorraine was telling us what it was like.

To not assume we are immune.

With the pandemic, and lots of folks not wanting to even "go there", it is more important than ever.

Thank you.

• Like 9

Been a long, long time since I've been on here.

Chance brought me back to TRF back in December and while browsing around I saw the Colon Cancer thread and read every single post, 6 months worth.

It brought so many emotions out of me but the one that stood out most was frustration.

In July 2017 I was diagnosed with stage 3A Colon Cancer (I know she had 3C, big difference) but after colonoscopies, surgery, and chemo, I'm 4 years clear. I was given the same treatment Lorraine refused, xeloda and Oxiliplatin. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't THAT bad. There are way, WAY more harsh treatments.

There are an awful lot of now pointless things I'd like to say about this whole thing.

Rest In Peace Lorraine.

• Like 12

Been a long, long time since I've been on here.

Chance brought me back to TRF back in December and while browsing around I saw the Colon Cancer thread and read every single post, 6 months worth.

It brought so many emotions out of me but the one that stood out most was frustration.

In July 2017 I was diagnosed with stage 3A Colon Cancer (I know she had 3C, big difference) but after colonoscopies, surgery, and chemo, I'm 4 years clear. I was given the same treatment Lorraine refused, xeloda and Oxiliplatin. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't THAT bad. There are way, WAY more harsh treatments.

There are an awful lot of now pointless things I'd like to say about this whole thing.

Rest In Peace Lorraine.

Wow. This must've hit you in a thousand different ways all at once. For most of us reading, we all had our opinions as to what we think we would've done if we were in her position but I think they weren't based on personal experience or history. Some were said out loud, and a lot of us (me included) kept it to ourselves. And here you are, living proof. We'll never know if it would've saved her.

At any rate, I'm glad you are 4 years clear and I hope it stays that way!

• Like 8

So sad to hear this. I haven't been able to get onto the forum for the longest time - I kept getting a 404 screen, but I figured out how to get back in today.

Lorraine was so cool, and had great taste. If I could go back in time, I would make sure that she got her front row seat at a Rush show, just once.

Here's to her dignity. She didn't suffer fools, but she was genuine and kind.

:cheers:

• Like 9

Hard for me to know what to say. Having had a long term illness a bit ago I can understand the inner strength it takes to endure, which Lorraine had plenty of. She was such a part of the matrix interwoven in TRF. Her memory here is what will keep her with us.

:rose:

• Like 7

Great post. For me the prep isn't what I hate, it's the not eating solid food for the full day before. I have a huge appetite.

Your point about early detection is so right on. My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at a relatively young age but because it was caught early, she has survived about 30 years now. She had part of the colon removed and has never had a reoccurrence. She's now 88. She's has digestive system issues as a result of losing part of her colon (can't eat nuts for example) but a small price to pay.

• Like 6

Great post. For me the prep isn't what I hate, it's the not eating solid food for the full day before. I have a huge appetite.

Your point about early detection is so right on. My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at a relatively young age but because it was caught early, she has survived about 30 years now. She had part of the colon removed and has never had a reoccurrence. She's now 88. She's has digestive system issues as a result of losing part of her colon (can't eat nuts for example) but a small price to pay.

Lovely about your mom!!

• Like 3

Cranking “Quadrophenia” on my new home theater system right now!! This one’s for you Lorraine!

A perfect masterpiece! Every note is beautiful just like you Lorraine!

Hope you are smiling from above and rocking out to The Who for all Eternity!!

Love,

Earl

• Like 9

I wrote to Lorraine regularly during the time that she was ill. She answered when she could. I keep tripping over a thought of "Oh, I should send Lorraine a message today". She can no longer answer, but I still keep wanting to do it.

Music brought us all together, so I'm making a "Lorraine mix" playlist to celebrate her, and I'd love to include suggestions from other friends that miss her. If you are of a mind, please contribute!

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 7

lorraine was cool as hell. we had a lot of good PM discussions. she joked she was gonna haunt me from the grave to get me to stop abusing drugs and alcohol. even from the grave, she cares about us. RIP big time
  • Like 6

Wait wait wait, how am I just now finding this out? Oh my goodness..... RIP Lorraine, you were a gift to this forum.
  • Like 6

I will miss her. She was a delight and whilst we had a couple of bumps when I was going through mental health problems and reacted in a poor way, I truly loved her.

She checked up on me often in private and, well, I speak for everyone when I say her presence here will leave a deep impression on us, especially now it's gone.

She was so beautiful too.

I'm tearing up now. RIP my precious friend.

• Like 7