Alex Lifeson guitars to be auctioned in May

treeduck

5 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Likewise. I know the white 355 is the trademark Alex guitar and I'd love to have it, but given the choice I think I'd go with this one.

I always thought the guitar he's holding in the Permanent Waves jacket photo was cream colored, not blinding white.  Is that not right?

Surprised to see the Hentor Sportscaster up for auction given Alex' heavy personalised customisation.

Again I suppose he'll be hoping that will have extra rarity among Rush collectors...

55357181-0-image-a-50_1647302298850.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

17 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I always thought the guitar he's holding in the Permanent Waves jacket photo was cream colored, not blinding white.  Is that not right?

Discoloration due to pot smoke.

20 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

RUSH: ALEX LIFESON "MOVING PICTURES" STAGE PLAYED PHOTO AND VIDEO MATCHED 1981 GIBSON HOWARD ROBERTS FUSION ELECTRIC GUITAR (WITH BLU RAY) WITH NFT

I would love to buy this.  And I can't play the guitar.

I tried to learn, but never really applied myself.  Same for bass.  Just young and shiftless back then.

But Jeezuz K. Reist, there are so many beauties in that catalog.   Multiple Les Pauls, including a 12 string w/a Bigsby vibrato. 2 or 3 Strats besides the Hentor. Gorgeous Ovation acoustics.  A load of PRS's.

A Martin D-28 12 string.  2 Gibson ES-1275 double necks.  My God!

Per the catalog some bids are already in, before the actual 10 am Friday start.  No further movement on Whitey, 4 bids in with a high of $200,000. This is going to be a monster.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, Lurkst said:

Surprised to see the Hentor Sportscaster up for auction given Alex' heavy personalised customisation.

Again I suppose he'll be hoping that will have extra rarity among Rush collectors...

55357181-0-image-a-50_1647302298850.jpg

You're right, this is definitely a Rush fan thing.

This is the one I'd buy if I had the $$$.  I don't play guitar...but I've always liked that one.

24 minutes ago, Laurabw said:

Whitey gone for $300K.

Didn't realize this had ended already.  Thought it was going through the weekend.  But I see it is live now.  So much for me cashing in my 401k and bidding 310k

• Like 1

I am staggered at the lack of knowledge, the lack of audience empathy and the lack of story telling by the Auctioneer.

The prices are insanely low- the 1957 Gold Top and a few others went below market value.

The Auctioneer wheezed, coughed and spluttered- he needs to stop dodging salads, give up smoking and learn about his products- things like 'This Hentor is a rare guitar' - yes, there's ONE of them. And 'someone has autographed the case' - yep, that's Lerxst's sig you idiot.

Totally unprofessional and I have written to the owner of the Auction house to vent:

Dear Darren,

I am sorry but I am forced to write to you and please don’t take this personally.

As someone with a real interest in collecting guitars, I cannot believe the low prices I am seeing and also just how unknowledgeable your wheezing and coughing auctioneer is.

There’s no product knowledge, there’s no salesmanship, no story telling of the items. An example is the Hentor Sportscaster – your auctioneer ‘Not many of these’…. NO! There’s literally one, and Alex virtually built it himself- where’s the back story, where’s the temptation?

As you know, you have to open the deep pockets of the well-heeled and there’s been no real attempt to describe the deep heritage of the instruments he’s selling and absolutely ZERO product knowledge.

I know Alex was hoping for $1m for the White 335 and with stronger story telling, I believe it would have made a lot more. I spoke to him personally about this.

As I type, many Rush fans in my social circle and on Facebook are saying the same thing- that there’s no back story, no product knowledge and that the wheezing, spluttering and coughing from the fat auctioneer are rather low rent.

No wonder these are not making anything near what they should. If you believe I’m wrong, watch the David Gilmour auction and the genius, polish and professionalism of the auctioneer and team there. It was a brilliant event- one were I walked away with one of the CS NOS Strats.

If your team don’t know the back story then I do and I’ll write it out for them next time.

Anyway, nothing personal but this auction is disappointing and a terrible conclusion to the history of these amazing instruments.

Best Regards

• Like 3

He was JUST AWFUL.

"Wondering the Pace of the Earth" - GET READING GLASSES.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gassage said:

I am staggered at the lack of knowledge, the lack of audience empathy and the lack of story telling by the Auctioneer.

The prices are insanely low- the 1957 Gold Top and a few others went below market value.

The Auctioneer wheezed, coughed and spluttered- he needs to stop dodging salads, give up smoking and learn about his products- things like 'This Hentor is a rare guitar' - yes, there's ONE of them. And 'someone has autographed the case' - yep, that's Lerxst's sig you idiot.

Totally unprofessional and I have written to the owner of the Auction house to vent:

Dear Darren,

I am sorry but I am forced to write to you and please don’t take this personally.

As someone with a real interest in collecting guitars, I cannot believe the low prices I am seeing and also just how unknowledgeable your wheezing and coughing auctioneer is.

There’s no product knowledge, there’s no salesmanship, no story telling of the items. An example is the Hentor Sportscaster – your auctioneer ‘Not many of these’…. NO! There’s literally one, and Alex virtually built it himself- where’s the back story, where’s the temptation?

As you know, you have to open the deep pockets of the well-heeled and there’s been no real attempt to describe the deep heritage of the instruments he’s selling and absolutely ZERO product knowledge.

I know Alex was hoping for $1m for the White 335 and with stronger story telling, I believe it would have made a lot more. I spoke to him personally about this.

As I type, many Rush fans in my social circle and on Facebook are saying the same thing- that there’s no back story, no product knowledge and that the wheezing, spluttering and coughing from the fat auctioneer are rather low rent.

No wonder these are not making anything near what they should. If you believe I’m wrong, watch the David Gilmour auction and the genius, polish and professionalism of the auctioneer and team there. It was a brilliant event- one were I walked away with one of the CS NOS Strats.

If your team don’t know the back story then I do and I’ll write it out for them next time.

Anyway, nothing personal but this auction is disappointing and a terrible conclusion to the history of these amazing instruments.

Best Regards

Keep in mind that Alex (or possibly his agent, if he has one) chose this auction house so he knew what he was getting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gassage said:

Dear Darren,

Best Regards

It's OK though.....they made $75 each from those of us who bought the auction catalog.   That'll more than make up for the huge gaps in price.

NOT.

I almost cried:

"Goodbye to these incredible tools that helped to create this. My legacy. I will love you all forever!" 

~Alex

I am really sad to see him auction off these guitars. It hit me hard for some reason. Truly the end of an era.

Edited by Charlotte7598

9 hours ago, apetersvt said:

Didn't realize this had ended already.  Thought it was going through the weekend.  But I see it is live now.  So much for me cashing in my 401k and bidding 310k

with 13512 TRF members, a modest $23 per member could have bought whitey. pass it around like the stanley cup to the winning team members. *sigh* too late now. 

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

I know that it's over.  I've known for a while and have accepted it.

But here we are today, and this event just really helps to drive the point home. I can't help but miss what was, and how good we had it when there was a Rush.

Today, another chapter in the Annals of Rush has been closed. 

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, HemiBeers said:

with 13512 TRF members, a modest $23 per member could have bought whitey. pass it around like the stanley cup to the winning team members. *sigh* too late now. 

Genius idea!  We should have done it! :biggrin::biggrin:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laurabw said:

He was JUST AWFUL.

"Wondering the Pace of the Earth" - GET READING GLASSES.

Oh, seriously they said that?  That's awful. :angry:

3 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

My nightmare is this goomba buying all the guitars.

http://images.gawker.com/nag5y7oct9ogsujptane/original.jpg

Ha ha!! Since Geddy is such a collector, in my mind, I created a scenario where Ged might have snagged 1 or 2 of these iconic guitars from the auction, as these are part of his legacy too… It’d be nice if my fantasy scenario had some truth to it. He doesn’t even need to let it be known publicly. 

• Like 1

I couldn't find a link showing if the Jose Ramirez classical guitar sold (and if so for how much).  Anyone know?

That one was the most intriguing to me since it said he used it in the studio for 'La Villa' and 'The Trees' (and in some of the music videos back then).  I'm not a guitar player either, but the thought of being in the same room with that guitar kind of blows my mind.

PS - I wonder which guitar he recorded 'Closer to the Heart' on?  From the descriptions, it doesn't sound like it's any of these.  I wonder if he still has that guitar synth from 'Hemispheres' too.