Alex Lifeson guitars to be auctioned in May

treeduck

Shuffling off the old Rush baggage. It was a thing. It was a great thing. Done.

My first guess would be that this is the reason for the sale.

The history of what Al did with those tools must weigh pretty heavily on his mind. I'd probably get rid of them too.

The doubleneck was an easy choice, since he said he can't really lift it anymore. :-)

I don’t think I would ever sell that 355 if I were Alex. I really do wonder why he’s selling. I hope it’s nothing bad…

“The iconic guitar for me is the white 355 that I got in 1976. That’s on so much material, from when I got it right up until the last album."

-Alex

https://metaladdicts...r-liked-the-sg/

And it's all over this little ditty some of you have heard once upon a time...

Edited by Weatherman

I hope whoever does buy these will play them. Seems like a shame to me to own a guitar with that much experience and history and never let it make any more great music.

indiana-jones-belongs-in-a-museum.gif

• Like 1

Can you tell there was a "I wish I hadn't done that" realization after installing a Kahler tremolo in the Howard Roberts Fusion? (It has since been removed.)

I used to think it was sacrilege to install a tremolo in a Les Paul. But you accept the world is awash in Les Pauls, so seeing one routed-out for a tremolo is no big deal. But a first-generation Howard Roberts Fusion? That hurts a bit. There are not too many of those highly desirable first-gens out there in the world.

Most estimated from 100-200K. I follow these auctions all the time, including Julien's (same company that sold Neil's red Tama kit). I bet they go close to the high end estimate or beyond.

Makes sense because as a musician there's not much more of value beyond the tools of your trade.

When Alex sells his guitars you know there will never be a Alex\Geddy tour. Neil's death really did end it all.

Doesn't seem to be any interest in doing it. That kind of makes sense given (however limited) the expectations on this very forum..

• Like 1

I can t believe he would sell that 335. His first label purchased guitar when they got signed. I hope he doesn’t regret giving it up…seems irrational

Good for Alex,it's all for charity even better.We all come into this world with nothing we will all leave with nothing.I don't see the '68 Gibson 335 sunburst,which I can understand,that was his first "real" guitar he had it in the Come on Children movie.That guitar is considered The Lifeson guitar,he gets a pass on keeping that.

I have my doubts these are all his guitars. He’s still making music.

I can t believe he would sell that 335. His first label purchased guitar when they got signed. I hope he doesn’t regret giving it up…seems irrational

Good for Alex,it's all for charity even better.We all come into this world with nothing we will all leave with nothing.I don't see the '68 Gibson 335 sunburst,which I can understand,that was his first "real" guitar he had it in the Come on Children movie.That guitar is considered The Lifeson guitar,he gets a pass on keeping that.

I have my doubts these are all his guitars. He’s still making music.

Right,don't think anyone said "all of his guitars"...in an auction setting people won't bid "crazily" on a 2015 Les Paul Axcess that Al played once or twice...the guitars in this auction are considered to be the iconic ones played on Rush's classic albums.

Edited by Mr Freeze

Did anyone go see Rick Beato Live? I think it was just last week,supposedly it was sold out... The Gramercy Theater in NYC

He's really making a name for himself with his YT channel getting top tier rockstar interviews now...I'm sure it beats sitting in a dark dingy studio trying to produce /dealing with a band about to explode,the next big thing ;)

Although he doesn't like to admit it,his bread and butter is YT...can't see that book generating a whole lot.

Breaks my heart whenever I get a reminder like this that Rush is done. I'm sad that he would auction them off. At least he's still making music but I guess the reminders those guitars gave him weighed pretty heavily. Something tells me Geddy and Alex had just as hard a time accepting that Rush was done as we did, if not more so.

Edited by Charlotte7598
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Babycat said:

Might get a spank for this, but my thought is he's severing his link to Rush.

My thoughts exactly. I think the memories are too painful for him. I know it probably would be for me.

That being said, I hope he doesn't come to regret getting rid of them. Auctioning these off can never truly sever his link to Rush, as much as he may want it to. They were a beautiful band whose influence will never be forgotten.

Edited by Charlotte7598
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Babycat said:

Might get a spank for this, but my thought is he's severing his link to Rush.

I doubt that. He's literally just done a load of press for the MP reissue. 

How many guitars does he need at this stage in his career? These are extremely valuable instruments, due to their vintage, their significance to Rush fans, or both.

Seems reasonable to use them to raise a considerable amount for good causes now, while he has a say over where the money goes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I doubt that. He's literally just done a load of press for the MP reissue. 

How many guitars does he need at this stage in his career? These are extremely valuable instruments, due to their vintage, their significance to Rush fans, or both.

Seems reasonable to use them to raise a considerable amount for good causes now, while he has a say over where the money goes.

He may be doing a bit of advance estate planning as well. I know that one reason Bruce Springsteen recently sold his music catalog rights (like Rush did in 2015) was that he didn't want any or all of his 3 kids to feel burdened with managing it. Perhaps it's easier for Alex to do this than to try to split his guitars among his sons. With money he can just use it how he wants or split it how he wants, rather than figure out who gets what guitar.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, ytserush said:

is the catalog ALL Alex or is he just the centerpiece?

To answer your question, all 462 pages of this gorgeous, hard cover book are dedicated solely to Alex.  I can’t recommend the purchase of this book strongly enough.  It is a prized addition to my collection, and well-worth the money.  Anybody who considers himself or herself to be a real Rush fan needs to have this. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, ytserush said:

is the catalog ALL Alex or is he just the centerpiece?

See link below; click "CATALOG" to open.  Alex, Bruce Springsteen, Robin Le murisier, Leslie West, Johnny Cash, etc.

4 bids in for Whitey, now at $200,000.

https://www.julienslive.com/auctions/live-sale/id/394

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

See link below; click "CATALOG" to open.  Alex, Bruce Springsteen, Robin Le murisier, Leslie West, Johnny Cash, etc.

4 bids in for Whitey, now at $200,000.

https://www.julienslive.com/auctions/live-sale/id/394

Some great photos of Alex with "Whitey" over the years. Really can't believe he wants to part with it looking at them!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Some great photos of Alex with "Whitey" over the years. Really can't believe he wants to part with it looking at them!

I had never seen a Signals era picture with that guitar - the leather pants pic that you always see is with the Fender strat...