Alex Lifeson guitars to be auctioned in May

treeduck

A few of those are iconic Alex Lifeson guitars. The 355, the doubleneck, the Howard Roberts, the Hentor Strat. Why am I sad that he'd auction them away?

I wonder how many guitars/which guitars he's keeping?

A few of those are iconic Alex Lifeson guitars. The 355, the doubleneck, the Howard Roberts, the Hentor Strat. Why am I sad that he'd auction them away?

I'm assuming the ones pictured above are the ones up for auction, leaving him with (I'm assuming) plenty of others. But some the ones up there a big part of Rush history. The 355 and the doubleneck will fetch a pretty penny.

• Like 2

I'm assuming the ones pictured above are the ones up for auction, leaving him with (I'm assuming) plenty of others. But some the ones up there a big part of Rush history. The 355 and the doubleneck will fetch a pretty penny.

Isn't that doubleneck the 2015 edition for R40?

Yeah these guitars in the pictures are up for auction, I'm not sure if there are more.

Hard to tell if it's the reissue or the original. The 355 looks like the original based on the wear on the tailpiece.

Hard to tell if it's the reissue or the original. The 355 looks like the original based on the wear on the tailpiece.

Here's some info from the article:

The crown jewel of the Property From the Archives of Alex Lifeson is his 1976 'Whitey' Gibson ES-355TD electric guitar custom-built for Alex Lifeson at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo and Lifeson’s main guitar from 1976 to 2015

The final highlighted guitar is a 2015 limited run Gibson EDS-1275 double-neck electric guitar created especially for Rush’s 40th Anniversary R40 tour

• Like 1

The crown jewel of the Property From the Archives of Alex Lifeson is his 1976 'Whitey' Gibson ES-355TD electric guitar custom-built for Alex Lifeson at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo and Lifeson’s main guitar from 1976 to 2015

The final highlighted guitar is a 2015 limited run Gibson EDS-1275 double-neck electric guitar created especially for Rush’s 40th Anniversary R40 tour

I figured if he ever sold or put up some of his guitars for auction, the one he'd keep would be that 355. This is like when David Gilmour auctioned off most of his guitars, including the iconic black Strat -- the one guitar you figure he'd keep.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 4

I figured if he ever sold or put up some of his guitars for auction, the one he'd keep would be that 355. This is like when David Gilmour auctioned off most of his guitars, including the iconic black Strat -- the one guitar you figure he'd keep.

Yeah, same here.

The Hentor is a goodie that will fetch a few bucks from a fan. If I had the cash, I'd take a shot at it.... and I don't even play guitar.

• Like 1

I suppose you've got to ask why he's selling them, if it's just to make space then he'd keep the good stuff and dump the rest. A lot of the guitars are billed as as used on the album 2112 or AFTK or Hemispheres or used on the Moving Pictures tour etc.

I suppose you've got to ask why he's selling them, if it's just to make space then he'd keep the good stuff and dump the rest. A lot of the guitars are billed as as used on the album 2112 or AFTK or Hemispheres or used on the Moving Pictures tour etc.

Do you have a link for the article?

Do you have a link for the article?

Yeah I didn't really read it I just bagged the pictures and had a look at the comments:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10613259/Rush-guitarist-Alex-Lifeson-iconic-guitars-hammer.html

I suspect they will be several pretty pennies.

• Like 1

I don’t think I would ever sell that 355 if I were Alex. I really do wonder why he’s selling. I hope it’s nothing bad…

I hope whoever does buy these will play them. Seems like a shame to me to own a guitar with that much experience and history and never let it make any more great music.
  • Like 1

I know... I clicked here and was greeted with that white guitar first and thought, "Really? That one?" Wow. To me it would be like Geddy sending away his '68 Jazz.

• Like 1

Most estimated from 100-200K. I follow these auctions all the time, including Julien's (same company that sold Neil's red Tama kit). I bet they go close to the high end estimate or beyond.
  • Like 1

Good for Alex,it's all for charity even better.We all come into this world with nothing we will all leave with nothing.I don't see the '68 Gibson 335 sunburst,which I can understand,that was his first "real" guitar he had it in the Come on Children movie.That guitar is considered The Lifeson guitar,he gets a pass on keeping that. Edited by Mr Freeze