Van Halen - Live: Right Here, Right Now - The first official Van Halen live album, how do you rate it?

treeduck

Van Halen - Live: Right Here, Right Now - The first official Van Halen live album, how do you rate it?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Van Halen - Live: Right Here, Right Now - The first official Van Halen live album, how do you rate it?

• 5 stars - It's a classic I love it
    • 4 stars - very good, I'd give it 5 if it was Roth-era
    • 3 stars - pretty good
    • 2 stars - average to below average
    • 1 star - Ugh not Van Hagar
    • 0 stars - Terrible
    • I like it but I wish they'd had more 5150 tracks in the setlist, like Summer Nights, Good Enough and 5150
    • I hate Van Halen
    • Meh
    • Eddie was done by 1993
    • I won't score it but yeah it's a good album
    • I haven't heard that album, I just never picked that one up

I bought this album back in the day and thought it was pretty good. Well-recorded, pretty good song-list, had almost all the F.U.C.K. album tracks included etc. I mean yeah it's Van Hagar but it's still good.
  • Like 1

The vocals might be stronger than the Tokyo Dome CD, which is close to unlistenable, but I`d much rather hear Eddie play the Dave era songs. I don`t listen to this record at all. I think I`d have gone full Satriani after the Dave years if I was Eddie. :guitar: Edited by IbanezJem

At the time, it was a great live album. I saw them at Jones Beach, NY July 1993 and it was freakin' hot and humid. We were in the middle of a heatwave and it was just brutal.

The Van Hager version of VH was on fire then.

• Like 4

Was this album not very popular back in 1993?

Well, it sold 2 million copies, so that's something. It's super heavy on the Carnal Knowledge songs, which I already owned, so I never bought it. As to how much of a "live" album it was, here's Sammy's take, from wiki...

Studio fixes, however, were admittedly present on the album. Says Hagar,

"The problem was they re-recorded almost the entire live album, because Eddie was out of tune, or Al had sped up or slowed down. They fixed everything. Only now that Eddie was playing in tune, my singing's off-key. And where Al sped up in "Runaround", now I'm singing ahead of the beat. Now I had to go back in the studio and redo all my vocals. I wanted to kill those guys. They put me in a room with the video of the concert, gave me my microphone, and I stood there and sang the whole f***ing concert one time through.

Was this album not very popular back in 1993?

Well, it sold 2 million copies, so that's something. It's super heavy on the Carnal Knowledge songs, which I already owned, so I never bought it. As to how much of a "live" album it was, here's Sammy's take, from wiki...

Studio fixes, however, were admittedly present on the album. Says Hagar,

"The problem was they re-recorded almost the entire live album, because Eddie was out of tune, or Al had sped up or slowed down. They fixed everything. Only now that Eddie was playing in tune, my singing's off-key. And where Al sped up in "Runaround", now I'm singing ahead of the beat. Now I had to go back in the studio and redo all my vocals. I wanted to kill those guys. They put me in a room with the video of the concert, gave me my microphone, and I stood there and sang the whole f***ing concert one time through.

Yeah they do the whole album apart from one track.

• Like 1

I’m one of those rare people who likes Hagar Era

VH ‘ almost ‘ as much as the much celebrated Roth Era.

Van Hagar has plenty of great songs, I think. Carnal is the top Hagar-era album they did, imo
  • Like 1

Van Hagar has plenty of great songs, I think. Carnal is the top Hagar-era album they did, imo

And as that record has "Spanked" and "In `n` Out" on it, you must really hate the others. ;)

And as that record has "Spanked" and "In `n` Out" on it, you must really hate the others. ;)

In n Out I like a lot. The title is misleading in terms of what the song is about.

The phone sex song is pretty bad.

Much like Ozzy Sabbath and Dio Sabbath, I love both major eras of Van Halen, but the DLR era is much better IMO. They're just 2 totally different bands. There's nothing wrong the performances here, but it's a lifeless live album. Pseudo-live albums add nothing to a band's discography. If I'm in the mood for Van Hagar, I'll go to the studio albums. I can't tell you the last time I listened to this.

The vocals might be stronger than the Tokyo Dome CD, which is close to unlistenable, but I`d much rather hear Eddie play the Dave era songs. I don`t listen to this record at all. I think I`d have gone full Satriani after the Dave years if I was Eddie. :guitar:

I’ve grown to like the Tokyo Dome show. It doesn’t sound like old Dave but the band is firing.

Right Here Right Now is pretty fun - I guess this is VH at their absolute peak of popularity. I don’t really care for F U C K that much, or any VH after OU812 for that matter.

The fact there is no Live: Without a Net audio release is f***ing insane since that is their best live recording of all versions of the band.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 3

The vocals might be stronger than the Tokyo Dome CD, which is close to unlistenable, but I`d much rather hear Eddie play the Dave era songs. I don`t listen to this record at all. I think I`d have gone full Satriani after the Dave years if I was Eddie. :guitar:

I’ve grown to like the Tokyo Dome show. It doesn’t sound like old Dave but the band is firing.

Right Here Right Now is pretty fun - I guess this is VH at their absolute peak of popularity. I don’t really care for F U C K that much, or any VH after OU812 for that matter.

The fact there is no Live: Without a Net audio release is f***ing insane since that is their best live recording of all versions of the band.

I do confess to having bought the MP3 of "There`s Only One Way to Rock" :laughing guy: I have the DVD somewhere. Eddie is in incredible form in Tokyo and it`s a beautiful thing to hear Wolfie with him. But if you`re not watching Dave, and just listening to him... hmmm... :facepalm:
  • Like 1

In n Out I like a lot. The title is misleading in terms of what the song is about.

Sammy is an extremely strong competitor for the worst lyricist of all time.

• Like 3

This is a great one too - I think it’s better than the overly doctored RHRN:

Bonus: embarrassing pants

Why do YouTubers take a 4x3 video, stretch it, and have the balls to call it "WIDESCREEN?" Just leave it the way it was shot, please. It sucks because this is a good concert.

• Like 1

Sammy is an extremely strong competitor for the worst lyricist of all time.

He has some good lyrics when tackling a meaningful subject, but his "hey baby" stuff is cringy.
  • Like 1