Rick Beato - Xanadu

treeduck

My favourte by a mle. I have deep personal conections to it but apart from that, it's a damn fine song!
  • Like 5

Eh, 37 minutes to cover an 11 minute song that has repeated sections in it... I think I'd rather just listen to AFTK itself. I've grown kind bored of Rick over the past couple years. He doesn't do nearly as many WMTSG episodes anymore, and his video lengths have gotten to about album length in videos like these, which is just a lot of time to devote to a youtube video about a song I already know really really well. I'm sure it's a great watch, but really, there are so many things I'd rather watch / listen to in that time.
  • Like 1

Just saw it come up in my recommendations tonight. I really enjoyed Rick's take on the song and half the fun was watching him react to the riffs and other stuff. I have enjoyed some of his interviews recently, the one with Sting was very good. He's hoping to get Alex and Geddy on but I won't hold out hope.

I have learned a lot about music from Rick and he's one of the better reasons to watch YouTube.

• Like 6

I kinda drifted away from watching Rick's videos. The last one I watched was the interview with Sting, which was really great. This one was good too, but as pointed out already, his videos are getting longer and longer, and I just don't have the time or patience to watch them all.

Well... I like Rick but I doubt he`ll convince of his premise. :no:

Me neither.

I don't necessarily dislike that song, but I would hardly consider it to be Rush's best epic tune.

I felt the same way until I saw the live version from the ESL video. That version of Xanadu is a top-5 favorite Rush song for me, and part of that is because we get to watch the boys put on a clinic in multi-tasking, making three guys sound like five, yet despite all the technology that their heads, hands and feet are manipulating, the music still sounds organic and musical and powerful. For me, that song on that tour is Rush at the height of their powers.

• Like 6

I've been playing Xanadu on guitar for decades. It's fun as hell to play.

BUT, like other prog, it's not as much fun for most audiences to listen to.

So ... mixed feelings. Jacob's Ladder has the same issues.

Still--

--I love the Xanadu intro, totally, no reservations. It's SO seventies, in the best possible way.

I've been playing Xanadu on guitar for decades. It's fun as hell to play.

BUT, like other prog, it's not as much fun for most audiences to listen to.

So ... mixed feelings. Jacob's Ladder has the same issues.

Still--

--I love the Xanadu intro, totally, no reservations. It's SO seventies, in the best possible way.

I dunno man, the crowd was completely entranced when those two were played on R40. If your audience is Rush fans, there’s a better than good chance they all love Xanadu.

• Like 2

Xanadu is my favorite but I was a little bored with Rick's breakdown "listen to this guitar part" "listen to these drum fills" etc...

I already know the song like the back of my hand :)

Well... I like Rick but I doubt he`ll convince of his premise. :no:

Me neither.

I don't necessarily dislike that song, but I would hardly consider it to be Rush's best epic tune.

It’s perfect, epic and pinnacle Rush 70s era.

• Like 3

Xanadu is my favorite but I was a little bored with Rick's breakdown "listen to this guitar part" "listen to these drum fills" etc...

then the video wasn’t aimed at you…

At least Rick doesn’t pretend he’s not heard it before like those “reaction” video channels. There is something infectious about all Rick’s videos even when his moaning about YouTube censorship.
  • Like 4

just my opinion. No need to get defensive.

I agree with Rushman here, Rick could give a little more detail and analysis of what's going on in the song.

I agree with Rushman here, Rick could give a little more detail and analysis of what's going on in the song.

That wasn't one of his in-depth "What Makes This Song Great" segments where he picks apart a song and analyzes every detail using the isolated tracks for each instrument. This was a casual live stream where he geeked out about one of his favorite songs, listening along with his viewers as if he had everybody over at his house for a listening party.

• Like 5