Obi-Wan Kenobi Teaser Trailer

Principled Man

I dunno; my expectations have been lowered by a lot of these side projects -- although I suppose they are just "the projects" now. I guess because I'm not too much into the mythology/books/video games, so I don't "enjoy" the appearance of "much beloved" characters.

Still, I'm going to watch, and Ewan McGregor is great, so there is . . . hope.

• Like 1

Years ago a fan made a trailer out of footage from some Passion Of Christ type movie about Obi-Wan’s hard journey towards Jedi enlightenment in the isolation of the desert, guided by the ghost of Qui-Gon Jin. It was a brilliant idea for a very different approach to Star Wars, and one I do wish the trailer for this show took more influence from. As it stands, it looks like it’s going to be more of an adventure story, with Ben trying to keep both his own secret and Luke’s from the bloodhounds of the Empire. I’d prefer to imagine Tatooine is really as remote as it’s always been claimed to be, but if it’s one of the first places the Inquisitors search then I guess it’s not really all that obscure. I suppose the Hutt’s are there, but they’re probably on any number of backwater planets with no other notable contributions to the galaxy. Anyway I have decent hope for it being a decent show. Everything that’s come out since The Mandalorian has been a treat, even if nothing has quite hit that unsustainable high point of Mando season II and The Bad Batch episode 1. Star Wars seems to be in a good spot right now for creating high quality TV series that give fans what they’ve been asking for for years, not really paying so much mind to the more casual viewership of it gets in the way of telling a great story. That’s a good trend to be on imo. It doesn’t need to be a blockbuster every time, just high quality Star Wars storytelling. Plus Ewan and Hayden are back, and that alone is worth some degree of excitement.
  • Like 1

I dunno; my expectations have been lowered by a lot of these side projects -- although I suppose they are just "the projects" now. I guess because I'm not too much into the mythology/books/video games, so I don't "enjoy" the appearance of "much beloved" characters.

Still, I'm going to watch, and Ewan McGregor is great, so there is . . . hope.

Star Wars is really moving away from the idea that only the characters from the main movies are truly important, and has really begun embracing it’s vast ensemble of truly loved characters from tv, books, and games. I totally understand anyone who isn’t really excited by that; it’s more niche in appeal by design. On the other hand I don’t really think Star Wars going in this more niche, lore-building direction is a bad thing overall. There are plenty of hardcore fans to keep it all afloat, and I’m sure Disney hasn’t abandoned plans for another massive trilogy down the road.

• Like 2

I bet he's relieved to be finally playing him without reciting pedestrian George Lucas penned dialogue.

Say what you want about Lucas' dialogue, he is the reason Star Wars ever came to exist in the first place.

• Like 1

Just hope that if this is based on the book Kenobi, some serious re-writing has been done to the script.  Wasn't a very engaging story and I wanted it to be since it could have been a good look into his life we haven't seen before.  Will have to see.

So far, just what I expected. The series continues the compelling portrayal of the Star Wars universe.

And like most Disney child actors, Leiah is insufferable.

I am HATING Kenobi! Since when did he become such a cowardly little b*tch??!! The writers of the show obviously hate the character and are destroying him before our very eyes! Bastards.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, Jack Aubrey said:

I am HATING Kenobi! Since when did he become such a cowardly little b*tch??!! The writers of the show obviously hate the character and are destroying him before our very eyes! Bastards.

The idea that all his skills and force sensitivity can be so easily unlearned seems silly to me

• Like 1

The finale was pretty awesome.

Spoiler

Although, every time I was reminded that Third Sister survived being impaled by Vader's light saber took the edge off a bit.  

The mini-series could have benefited from making Leia 10% less annoying and 10% more realistic of a ten year old child. 

Edited by JohnRogers
Extra thoughts, bitch!
  • Like 1

Well, I loved it. Leia was perfect and I believe the subtext to Kenobi’s weakness wasn’t having forgotten or unlearned his abilities, but having cut himself off from The Force, in part to protect Luke, and in part because of his shame and guilt. It’s actually not a new concept to Star Wars canon, though it’s usually been explicitly stated in the past, and I don’t think it’s been portrayed on anything as big as a live action mini series yet. Mostly in video games and animated tv shows.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 5:39 PM, Jack Aubrey said:

Is this sarcastic? The writers hate Obi Wan? I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be writing his show under Disney’s very inquisitive eyes if that were the case.

Never was a big fan of the whole franchise, but I think Jon Favreau is a genius and the Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett (I had to look up the history of both, not knowing anything about them) are brilliant, IMO.

In contrast I found the Obi series rather slow and simple. But I guess Jedis are just that? Slow and wise wins the race?

On 6/23/2022 at 5:12 AM, JohnRogers said:

The finale was pretty awesome. 

The mini-series could have benefited from making Leia 100% less annoying and 100% more realistic of a ten year old child. 

Math error corrected

Edited by goose

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

I still need to watch this. With The Mandalorian on hiatus, I have stopped paying attention to the Star Wars universe a little bit.

Watch it.  Hayden has some good bits.  Mr "I hate sand" is long dead.

Edited by grep

On 5/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, Rhyta said:

Just hope that if this is based on the book Kenobi, some serious re-writing has been done to the script.  Wasn't a very engaging story and I wanted it to be since it could have been a good look into his life we haven't seen before.  Will have to see.

Just finished watching the first 3 episodes and glad to find that the novel Kenobi had no influence on the story.  Am a bit late in getting to watch it but now that hockey is done I can binge in the next few days and see it all before I read any spoilers. :smile:

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 1:56 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Is this sarcastic? The writers hate Obi Wan? I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be writing his show under Disney’s very inquisitive eyes if that were the case.

Sarcasm? No, not even a little. All one has to do is step back and look at the bigger picture that tells us Kathleen Kennedy actively hates the original Star Wars characters and is on a veritable quest to either kill or minimize them in some way in order to bring the new characters to the fore. Granted, The Mandalorian is great and I love it, but that's the only exception to the rule.

I also am in no way trying to hurt your enjoyment of the show. As I told a friend that happens to love it the other day: "it'd be a boring old world if we all loved the same stuff!"

Have a good day, Buddy!

10 hours ago, Jack Aubrey said:

Sarcasm? No, not even a little. All one has to do is step back and look at the bigger picture that tells us Kathleen Kennedy actively hates the original Star Wars characters and is on a veritable quest to either kill or minimize them in some way in order to bring the new characters to the fore. Granted, The Mandalorian is great and I love it, but that's the only exception to the rule.

I also am in no way trying to hurt your enjoyment of the show. As I told a friend that happens to love it the other day: "it'd be a boring old world if we all loved the same stuff!"

Have a good day, Buddy!

There is absolutely no evidence supporting your claim.

Finished the series tonight. Aside from a few continuity errors, it was very good.  I think Obi Wan had cut himself off from society and the Force as EP said, it seemed like he was waking up after being in a state of shock.  He came to be the character we know and love in the end, he got the metaphorical slap in the face and he acted.

Now I need to watch the Mandalorian, not sure how I am going to feel seeing a live action Ahsoka, I love the animated character so much.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:10 AM, Rhyta said:

Finished the series tonight. Aside from a few continuity errors, it was very good.  I think Obi Wan had cut himself off from society and the Force as EP said, it seemed like he was waking up after being in a state of shock.  He came to be the character we know and love in the end, he got the metaphorical slap in the face and he acted.

Now I need to watch the Mandalorian, not sure how I am going to feel seeing a live action Ahsoka, I love the animated character so much.

Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka was just perfect. I think she brought real weight and dignity to the character and was super-respectful to the source material. Now, the big question is, does this spring from the fact that I love Rosario Dawson to begin with? Why yes, yes it does! Regardless, I think you'll really dig The Mandalorion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Aubrey said:

Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka was just perfect. I think she brought real weight and dignity to the character and was super-respectful to the source material. Now, the big question is, does this spring from the fact that I love Rosario Dawson to begin with? Why yes, yes it does! Regardless, I think you'll really dig The Mandalorion.

Thanks for the input, I look forward to watching, once I get done with my Babylon 5 binge...on Season 3 with Marcus :wub: