Gas Prices!

goose

It's all well and good to say we should just ramp up production, environment be damned. Many of our choices are not so good for the environment, Keystone pipeline is a prime example. Tar sands oil is filthy and even worse for pollution, once it spills it is next to impossible to clean up. It was a good thing to stop that project for all the damage it could have done. The small economic returns were not worth it. Even if it had been built, it wouldn't be making a dent in our situation today.

I don't like higher prices anymore than the next person but we aren't in the situation like the 70's. No rationing or gas lines down the street. I get that people are upset after 2 years of having their lives disrupted but we need to be willing to ride this out as hard as it may be. I just think of the people running for their lives in Ukraine and me having to pay more for gas and shipping costs doesn't seem so bad.

Ok. Pipelines are by far the safest, cleanest and least expensive way to move all petroleum products. The alternatives are rail, ship and truck. See what I mean?

Tar sand oil is filthy? How so? Once it's ready to ship it is no different than any other oil. and no more difficult to clean up.

As to shortages and lines down the street, stand by sweetheart. And it's nothing to do with Ukraine. Gas prices were up a dollar before Rootin Tootin Putin rolled the first tank.

• Like 1

A close but not-quite-as-bad (yet) return the the inflation-plagued, energy-strained, racially divisive, crime-ridden 70s isn't what I'd call a measuring stick to be proud of.

A close but not-quite-as-bad (yet) return the the inflation-plagued, energy-strained, racially divisive, crime-ridden 70s isn't what I'd call a measuring stick to be proud of.

Not to mention the clothes were atrocious. Leisure suits. Polyester pants. Bell bottoms. :scared:

Not to mention the clothes were atrocious. Leisure suits. Polyester pants. Bell bottoms. :scared:

I was just gonna say the cars and clothes were kool.

121463296_10223528509670241_399544357898153561_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=s3lro9SPJ34AX_URLyt&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AT8rcdD5vU6RDQZkmOj3K_9Pin_uxvMq9nfRbJxrIEdnUA&oe=62526B38

121610176_10223528508150203_7768964919989604602_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=GCluWNdk4x4AX_GGggE&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AT9PmJPmHxw6bMe5eWlHndIruMrfdndcEsS6QD8aGW5lFA&oe=6251FA21

121463296_10223528509670241_399544357898153561_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=s3lro9SPJ34AX_URLyt&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AT8rcdD5vU6RDQZkmOj3K_9Pin_uxvMq9nfRbJxrIEdnUA&oe=62526B38

121610176_10223528508150203_7768964919989604602_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=GCluWNdk4x4AX_GGggE&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AT9PmJPmHxw6bMe5eWlHndIruMrfdndcEsS6QD8aGW5lFA&oe=6251FA21

cars from the 70’s sucked. Pintos, vegas, and Pacers, oh my!

I bet that Super Coupe put out a whopping 180 horsepower.

cars from the 70’s sucked. Pintos, vegas, and Pacers, oh my!

I bet that Super Coupe put out a whopping 180 horsepower.

Correct.

I'll put my Levis Bell Bottoms and a Dashiki up against skinny jeans and a civil war beard any day.

• Like 1

Onalaska, Wisconsin

$4.099 for unleaded 87

$4.069 for unleaded 88

I consider myself very lucky. :)

You might also consider yourself very lucky for residing in an area of such beauty. The Driftless Area of Wisconsin is visually captivating. When cruising the county highways of the area, it's easy to find yourself thinking, "Yeah, a large plot of land and a farmhouse, tucked away over there . . . the world might never find me."

It's all well and good to say we should just ramp up production, environment be damned. Many of our choices are not so good for the environment, Keystone pipeline is a prime example. Tar sands oil is filthy and even worse for pollution, once it spills it is next to impossible to clean up. It was a good thing to stop that project for all the damage it could have done. The small economic returns were not worth it. Even if it had been built, it wouldn't be making a dent in our situation today.

I don't like higher prices anymore than the next person but we aren't in the situation like the 70's. No rationing or gas lines down the street. I get that people are upset after 2 years of having their lives disrupted but we need to be willing to ride this out as hard as it may be. I just think of the people running for their lives in Ukraine and me having to pay more for gas and shipping costs doesn't seem so bad.

Ok. Pipelines are by far the safest, cleanest and least expensive way to move all petroleum products. The alternatives are rail, ship and truck. See what I mean?

Tar sand oil is filthy? How so? Once it's ready to ship it is no different than any other oil. and no more difficult to clean up.

As to shortages and lines down the street, stand by sweetheart. And it's nothing to do with Ukraine. Gas prices were up a dollar before Rootin Tootin Putin rolled the first tank.

Pipelines are not safe, they consistently leak and cleaning up after them never makes things right. Tar sands are one of the most destructive, carbon-intensive and toxic fuels on the planet. Producing it releases three times as much greenhouse gas pollution as conventional crude oil does. When it leaks it is even more difficult to clean up and the pipelines were to be built over aquifers that really can't afford to be polluted by this dreck.

Yes, gas prices did go up before the Ukraine invasion. One major contributor to the high retail gasoline prices was high crude oil prices. Crude oil prices in 2021 increased throughout most of the year, and the average crude oil price for 2021 was the highest price since 2018.

Other factors contributing to higher retail gasoline prices in 2021 include higher demand for gasoline, reduced U.S. refinery capacity, and low gasoline inventories https://www.eia.gov/...il.php?id=50758

My original question...was in regards to deliberate decisions that move energy dependence away from profit-driven domestic corporations (which brings its own problems) toward a dependence on bad actor nations like Russia, Iran or the Saudis.

If silence is acquiescence, it seems we are all in agreement on this.