Gas Prices!

goose

Paying $4.22 for regular gas today. One has to question the wisdom of rejecting energy independence in favor of depending on the globe's bad actor nations for our energy needs. :blink:
  • Like 4

Paying $4.22 for regular gas today. One has to question the wisdom of rejecting energy independence in favor of depending on the globe's bad actor nations for our energy needs. :blink:

A partial outcome of Climate Hysteria. Which like COVID is more about people in positions of authority accumulating power and money. Following the science has become a punchline.

The time is now. Being a war time president or prime minister isn’t just a splashy title.

• Like 3

Seeing that Shell purchased Russian oil because they got a good deal. Welp...guess I'm no longer a faithful customer of Shell. Also, Marathon was the leading purchaser of Russian oil last year. Guess they're on my shitlist as well along with it's subsidiaries Citgo and Speedway.

Looking like BP is the one I can go to for non-Russian oil.

You call it cancel culture. I call it freewill in spending my money on corporations that don't deal with the pinhead Hitler in Moscow.

• Like 4

Seeing that Shell purchased Russian oil because they got a good deal. Welp...guess I'm no longer a faithful customer of Shell. Also, Marathon was the leading purchaser of Russian oil last year. Guess they're on my shitlist as well along with it's subsidiaries Citgo and Speedway.

Looking like BP is the one I can go to for non-Russian oil.

You call it cancel culture. I call it freewill in spending my money on corporations that don't deal with the pinhead Hitler in Moscow.

Vote with your wallet. :ebert:
  • Like 2

A partial outcome of Climate Hysteria. Which like COVID is more about people in positions of authority accumulating power and money. Following the science has become a punchline.

The time is now. Being a war time president or prime minister isn’t just a splashy title.

Hey, my buddy got gas at the same Costco today. $4.62. Up 40 cents in a day.

:cheerleader:

Prices are based on future perception, not current supply. So what I do during rapid price increases is not to fill my tank, but maybe 3-4 gallons short of full. Now if enough people would follow this, it would create a temporary dent in supply. This would work for most people that don't drive extreme miles...not so good for high mileage drivers.

Unfortunately, the majority of the populace would rather just top off their tank and bitch about it.

He should have just ordered one slice of pepperoni. Gotta be cheaper than $4.62.

He should have just ordered one slice of pepperoni. Gotta be cheaper than $4.62.

Depends. Are the ingredients trucked in?

(Trying to do my part on connecting the inflation dots for the apparently slow-witted electorate)

Lots of people think Old Joe did that but lots of people don't understand how the economy works too.

joe-gets-stuff-done-barack-obama.gif

Lots of people think Old Joe did that but lots of people don't understand how the economy works too.

Or gas prices for that matter. No president, left or right, controls them. Dubya, Obama, Trump, Biden...doesn't matter.

• Like 2

Or gas prices for that matter. No president, left or right, controls them. Dubya, Obama, Trump, Biden...doesn't matter.

We're not pretending that energy policy doesn't have a massive impact on supply, are we?
  • Like 3

We're not pretending that energy policy doesn't have a massive impact on supply, are we?

It probably does to some extent but has that changed in the last 36 hours to cause gasoline prices to literally go up 45 cents or more in some places?

• Like 2

It probably does to some extent but has that changed in the last 36 hours to cause gasoline prices to literally go up 45 cents or more in some places?

You’re adding that 45 cents to gas prices that are already significantly higher since changing administrations and energy policies. Also saying you’re doing everything to bring down the price of gas doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing everything.

• Like 2

You’re adding that 45 cents to gas prices that are already significantly higher since changing administrations and energy policies. Also saying you’re doing everything to bring down the price of gas doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing everything.

Yep. Intentionally rolling back domestic production and creating a reliance on importing energy from bad actors will (and has) steadily raise fuel prices over time in the best of conditions and, as we see in the immediate situation, create a potential for catastrophic spikes due to weather events, international skirmishes, etc. Seems foolish to me.
  • Like 2

Yep. Intentionally rolling back domestic production and creating a reliance on importing energy from bad actors will (and has) steadily raise fuel prices over time in the best of conditions and, as we see in the immediate situation, create a potential for catastrophic spikes due to weather events, international skirmishes, etc. Seems foolish to me.

Couple that with announcing that you will no longer purchase from Russia (rightfully, IMHO, but also way too late) and it’s safe to say prices will continue to increase in the short term.

• Like 1

This illustrates the wisdom of having SOCN. If someone wants to note that a politician does not have direct control over something that is not a government entity (for example, the economy) no one will agree with you more than I.

HOWEVER, if you don't apply that commonsense principle all the time, it opens the door to political debates. So, if you comfortably blamed Trump for the spread of COVID, someone might fairly question whether you recognize limitations on what the government truly controls when it happens to coincide with whether you like a particular government official.

• Like 3

It is also valid to point out there are untapped wells that the oil companies are not using so they can drive up the price of gas for their profit. They are the bad actors in this, it is in their best interests to make more money. Direct your anger at them.
  • Like 4

Speedway at 4.19 here. I don't even look at major brands, figure minimum 5 cents/gallon more.

Open the Keystone pipeline and other American sources, Clueless Joe.

• Like 3

It is also valid to point out there are untapped wells that the oil companies are not using so they can drive up the price of gas for their profit. They are the bad actors in this, it is in their best interests to make more money. Direct your anger at them.

Presumably the oil companies weren’t tapping those wells before the huge spike in prices and were greedy prior to 14 months ago, no?

• Like 2

Presumably the oil companies weren’t tapping those wells before the huge spike in prices and were greedy prior to 14 months ago, no?

The USA was cranking out oil recently to the tune of being just above profitable. $35 -$60 a barrel. That all changed about a year ago. I’m not looking at Dallas and OKC to blame but gazing at Washington DC.

• Like 3

I wonder if the people who follow the "let the market decide" paradigm complain about prices?

• Like 1

Exactly. In 2008- 2016 in Pennsylvania, energy companies invested billions of dollars into fracking in the region. It worked really well, too well maybe. It worked so well that it became kind of a problem. Energy companies had drilled so many wells that they had flooded the market with product, sending prices lower and lower. The prices could no longer support the crews and equipment needed for fracking, which is kind of messy and labor intensive, so companies spent a lot of 2019- 2020 closing these Pennsylvania operations, trying to tighten the supply and bring the price up some. All that was planned before Covid.

The energy market is cyclical and when adjusted for inflation, we are paying less now than at certain times in the past. (It doesn't help, though when you see those prices at the pump! Ack! ) Adjusted for inflation, gas prices (2 days ago, lol ) are $.60/gallon lower than they were in 2008. Also, current gas prices are lower than they were in the 1979-83 period, when taking inflation into account. (according to Dan M., a childhood friend and also energy analyst . . I'm not that analytical or historical . .)

I think Pennsylvania and the US have the ability to turn this around, but it doesn't happen on a dime. It takes time to hire crews, equipment, get environmental permits and get drilling started again. It bugs me when politicians say, " We have the ability to lower prices in the US. Let's do it now." Like this week. You don't think everyone wants lower gas prices now? Of course we do. It takes time. Plus, have them come and drill in your yard, buddy. It's a mess (and the companies lie about the pollution and mess and they do what they want and say sue us later if you don't like it. Might have a friend close to this problem.)

ldFrF0z.jpg

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

This thread to be moved to TSOCN in 3 2 1...

Well, it's been pretty civil, mostly focused on industry practice and generally non-partisan so far. Nice work everyone!

:)

• Like 2