Porcupine Tree - new album, new tour, new age, new era

treeduck

20 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Ok I've finally listened to it. I think it's pretty good but I'm underwhelmed. Maybe it's the 13 year gap that made my expectations go up, maybe it'll grow on me but it could be the weakest Porcupine Tree album out of the last eight. I'm not even sure if it's better than the last couple of Steven Wilson solo albums.

I also just listened to it and my expectations were fully met. But I know a lot less PT than most listeners, and have known them for a lot less time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I also just listened to it and my expectations were fully met. But I know a lot less PT than most listeners, and have known them for a lot less time.

It might grow on me, next time I listen to it I might hear it completely differently.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:59 PM, treeduck said:

It might grow on me, next time I listen to it I might hear it completely differently.

It is a grower. After 5 full listens it all came together for me. Some tunes were immediate (Hariden for example) but a lot of songs just got better and better and better. Richard really is the unsung hero on this great album. The atmospheric tones he produces in so many tunes...his phrasing.....just wow. 

This is a headphone album all the way too. 

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

given the album enough time now for a 'final verdict' i think

it's a good album but by the high standards that they set up for themselves it's kind of meh. i'd say it's better than their worst albums, but nowhere near as good as their peak.

the first four tracks are all amazing, but then that's it.

herd culling isn't good imo, not my style, so after giving it a generous amount of tries i always skip it now. walk the plank is decent but not really necessary either, seems like it should be something put onto nowhere man or some unknown experimental side project of his. chimera's wreck had a lot of potential but falls off during the second half sadly, i love the earlier part of the song though.. 

i think that the bonus tracks should be included on the actual album as i said before - but they're also nothing too special. the instrumental is okay but lacks energy, "Never Have" is a good song, and love in the past tense isn't very catchy but the instrumental bridge is amazing. 

but i should emphasize again that the first four songs of the album are amazing

hopefully their next album is more ambitious

On 9/25/2022 at 2:13 AM, Mr. Not said:

given the album enough time now for a 'final verdict' i think

it's a good album but by the high standards that they set up for themselves it's kind of meh. i'd say it's better than their worst albums, but nowhere near as good as their peak.

the first four tracks are all amazing, but then that's it.

herd culling isn't good imo, not my style, so after giving it a generous amount of tries i always skip it now. walk the plank is decent but not really necessary either, seems like it should be something put onto nowhere man or some unknown experimental side project of his. chimera's wreck had a lot of potential but falls off during the second half sadly, i love the earlier part of the song though.. 

i think that the bonus tracks should be included on the actual album as i said before - but they're also nothing too special. the instrumental is okay but lacks energy, "Never Have" is a good song, and love in the past tense isn't very catchy but the instrumental bridge is amazing. 

but i should emphasize again that the first four songs of the album are amazing

hopefully their next album is more ambitious

Ahhhh the beauty of music.

Different Hearts Beat On Different Strings.

Completely disagree with your take. 

Top 4 album for me. Easily. 

Love In The Past Tense is probably my #1 track too......go figure. It is simply incredible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Ahhhh the beauty of music.

Different Hearts Beat On Different Strings.

Completely disagree with your take. 

Top 4 album for me. Easily. 

Love In The Past Tense is probably my #1 track too......go figure. It is simply incredible. 

yeah, most fans seem to really love this album but i just like it.

i'm glad that Steven is doing something new with this "third era" of PT instead of just continuing where they left off, this just missed the mark for me in some places. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

yeah, most fans seem to really love this album but i just like it.

i'm glad that Steven is doing something new with this "third era" of PT instead of just continuing where they left off, this just missed the mark for me in some places. 

I'm quite excited to see what this new version mind be like if they keep going the way of Walk the Plank. C/C is said to be a much more collaborative record than the others and the band seems really proud of the new record. I'm not holding out new tours but I'm hoping they have another record in them once The Harmony Codex is out. 

• Like 1

I've been focusing on some other new releases in anticipation of seeing PT this Friday in LA.  Figure I can binge listen on my 4 hour drive.  I'm confidently putting it 4th behind the generally accepted best three (in no order) DW, FoaBP, and IA.  Like all their albums, it's different from the rest.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Radio City Music Hall. PT is certainly a band that can take advantage of such a venue, sonically.

4 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

Did you see them?  How was the show?

I saw them in Texas on Friday. Planned a trip to visit family to coincide with the show. They sounded as good as they ever have. Steven was enthusiastic and engaged, and they all played great.

And I'll say something that some diehards might find controversial: Randy McStine -- the new guy who replaced John Wesley -- I think I like him better. His vocals were spot on and IMO his guitar playing was better. And while I did miss Colin on bass, the new guy Nate Navarro filled in just fine, and he's a Dallas guy so he got a nice hand from the crowd.

I wont give away any setlist details, but there was no opening act so it was a full three hours of PT with a short break in the middle.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

I saw them in Texas on Friday. Planned a trip to visit family to coincide with the show. They sounded as good as they ever have. Steven was enthusiastic and engaged, and they all played great.

And I'll say something that some diehards might find controversial: Randy McStine -- the new guy who replaced John Wesley -- I think I like him better. His vocals were spot on and IMO his guitar playing was better. And while I did miss Colin on bass, the new guy Nate Navarro filled in just fine, and he's a Dallas guy so he got a nice hand from the crowd.

I wont give away any setlist details, but there was no opening act so it was a full three hours of PT with a short break in the middle.

I had similar reservations going into the SW solo live show I attended years back, when Marco and Guthrie moved on.  Turns out the scabs [Craig and Dave] were just as accomplished, despite me up to that point not being familiar with either musician.

I sit here and hope and pray they realize how successful the new album is with their fanbase and find it in their hearts to do a full second North American Leg and come anywhere.....anywhere in Florida. 

Please!!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Todem said:

I sit here and hope and pray they realize how successful the new album is with their fanbase and find it in their hearts to do a full second North American Leg and come anywhere.....anywhere in Florida. 

Please!!!!

I hear you man; that said, I bit the bullet and made a trip to LA for the show at the Greek a couple weeks back (Stoopid was there too; hey man, we missed the chance to meet up!)  I had the added bonus of hanging with a couple friends in the biz out there and seeing some family too - but regardless, it was worth it for the show alone.  Exceeded my expectations, on every level; the performance, sound, setlist, ambience, venue, comradery. it was one of those magic shows. Didn't hurt that I ran into Simon Phillips (drummer) at intermission.  Maybe you've seen some photos and clips on socials about the Mexico city and Chilean shows...  they appeared to be very much off the chain - huge crowds (maybe 3x what was in LA) and typically way more into it than American crowds.  Maybe that would persuade Steven to continue some with PT - but honestly, the feeling that I got from the show (in particular during the first of the encore songs), and from Steven's book, is that this was very likely all there will be.  Steven's just too into his solo progression and doing different things - certainly different than what anyone else wants (while I would much prefer another PT album & tourfrom what I have been hearing, his next solo disc will be alot more interesting than his last - for me, it would have to be, in order for me to have any interest in it at all...) That said, Steven said "PT's done" before (2011) and here we are.  So, anything can happen - but IF it were to come to pass, my guess would be it would be another future album and tour AFTER his next solo album (which is already largely recorded and he's eager to get it out there...) So maybe in 2024?  Even then, I heard some interview with Gavin slagging on some their past shows in Florida as being poorly attended; which makes me scratch my head because Steven had filled the venues he booked when he came; I think PT would easily pull in more people now.  Heck, PT basically had a full house at the House of Blues in 2007 here, what does he think, they don't fill arenas anywhere in NA.  The show in LA was well attended, but not sold out (I'd estimate 5000 max).  When Gavin was in Orlando with The Pineapple Thief, they played a venue that holds ~1250 and maybe was ~2/3 full (if even). I don't think they were playing any much bigger shows in the US. So, anyway, I don't really get his comment (though it does seem Florida gets passed up on alot of tours; even tough I see crowds at many shows. Maybe Live Nation has some unfavorable deals with venues, etc. 

1 hour ago, cygnify said:

So, anyway, I don't really get his comment (though it does seem Florida gets passed up on alot of tours; even tough I see crowds at many shows. Maybe Live Nation has some unfavorable deals with venues, etc. 

I was reading your post and going to reply, then you said what I was going to at the very end - probably less profitable shows in Florida for whatever reasons (greedy venues, promoters, etc).  I think it's a similar issue here in Vegas (*).

I enjoyed looking at all the various 'other bands' t-shirts.  I wore one of my few band tees (Big Wreck), did not have anyone acknowledge it which is a tiny bit of a disappointment, certainly the diversity evident in the other band shirts in attendance indicated the musical stew represented at a PT show.  I did get to see someone wearing my only other band tee (Haken), which seemed very apropos.  Fewer Rush and King Crimson shirts but then again, the merch line was insanely long and for all I know the diehards were stuck there while I casually made my way to my seat.

Anyway, that's my takeaway.  Great show, good selection of shirts.  lol

The person I went with and stayed at (making the trip a more enjoyable weekend visit like you did with the plane trip, except I only had to drive 4 hours) is my best friend, so anytime I want to see shows it's likely fine for me to do the same in the future.  There's obviously a lot of opportunities here in Vegas, but as with PT and Haken and Big Wreck, many bands I like don't bother with Vegas (*) as they're not the kind of music that sells tickets here on distraction alley.  It was a good test of future possible concert goings.  But my main goal was to check PT off my list of bands I felt like I should see if they're ever touring again.  King Crimson might be on that list, but if I'm being honest PT have probably spent more time in my ears.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1