Porcupine Tree - new album, new tour, new age, new era

treeduck

1 minute ago, Mr. Not said:

lmao yes, do you know what he's talking about with the "lifted from In Absentia" claim?

i checked out his music (you dont need to use a download code he provides, just go to his bandcamp) and it was really bad.

but i agreed with some of his points, he's just way too brutal on it. I like the album but would consider it a weaker PT album, and it could have been SW solo had I not known any better. 

I kept an ear out for it and still couldn't hear the In Absentia bit. I wanted to hear Darren talk about it because I knew he was going to give an honest criticism. I can't be assed to check out his music though. 

I feel Barbieri's touch is strong enough that most of it feels like a classic PT record. Though it may end up being a middle of the road record for me, which is still pretty good. I like it more than The Incident, but not as much as the 4 albums preceding it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I kept an ear out for it and still couldn't hear the In Absentia bit. I wanted to hear Darren talk about it because I knew he was going to give an honest criticism. I can't be assed to check out his music though. 

I feel Barbieri's touch is strong enough that most of it feels like a classic PT record. Though it may end up being a middle of the road record for me, which is still pretty good. I like it more than The Incident, but not as much as the 4 albums preceding it.

you should really check out his hit song "Man Down"

https://darrenlock.bandcamp.com/track/man-down-2

• Haha 1

Love love love the new album. It took me 3 full spins and it all just sunk in really nicely.....some seriously amazing chops and soundscapes all over this puppy. And all three of the “bonus” tracks are outstanding. 

A wonderful record and my 4th favorite now behind:

FOABP/Nil Recurring

Deadwing

In Abenstia

Closure/Continuation 

I am bummed I am probably not going to be able to see them on this tour......maybe...just maybe I may make it to the Philly or NY show....but most likely not. 

I hope they go with the “Continuation” and keep it going and add more shows and expand the tour and hit Florida sometime. My son has become a huge fan over the last several years and would love to see them. I had been able to see them in 2007 and 2010 (FOABP and Incdent Tours). They are incredible live. Even better than the studio.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 8:02 PM, treeduck said:

"We would like to welcome Randy McStine and Nate Navarro to the Porcupine Tree touring line up. Both are incredibly talented musicians and we have already had the pleasure of rehearsing the new material with them. It’s sounding fantastic and we’re looking forward to the tours later this year."

RandyMcStine-768x768.jpg

CleanShot-2022-05-06-at-12.08.12@2x-768x

He's playing a Kiesel bass, so he's alright by me.

Got my boxed set (holy cow Burning Shed, how you hop the pond so quick??).  First impression upon hearing the surround mix -- superb production, as one might expect herein from SW.  Dignity is a great song, but I think STP want their Interstate Love Song back(?).  Lots of interesting time changes and parts, very prog album.  Plenty of weird keyboard elements, an identity of PT of the past.

To my ears there's a strong meld here of PT and SW's solo stuff, like very 50/50 split stylisitically.  I understand the bias people have against SW's solo material, and in response to them regarding this album I'd suggest they revisit Raven and HCE to hear the things from those albums that are on full display here.  Well, half display here, but wholly and uniquely Steven Wilson.

• Like 4

Oh my goodness…I had a very vivid dream I was listening to a PT album last night. I think in my head it was Deadwing, but it also seemed a bit like FOABP. Maybe it’s a sign I should get more into this band.

• Like 1

a lot of people are saying this new album's a 'grower' and i'd agree with that. as a whole it's completely unlike all their previous albums really, so as most would obviously assume anyway this is Porcupine Tree's new third era.. psychedelic, to metal, to now.. the synth era? :D

Really good stuff here, 

does the "07/" at the beginning suggest it's the 7th song in a set they did for these sessions? I enjoy rehearsal footage more than lives performances usually, so i'd enjoy seeing more of these

I wish they did the studio version a bit more like this. On Walk The Plank and "Never Have" Steven does this thing with his voice where he intentionally makes his voice sound frail and raspy, and I'm not a fan of it. He doesn't do that here in this performance and sings that part normally instead.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:04 AM, Mr. Not said:

... On Walk The Plank and "Never Have" Steven does this thing with his voice where he intentionally makes his voice sound frail and raspy, and I'm not a fan of it. He doesn't do that here in this performance and sings that part normally instead.

Falsetto?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

is that what he's trying to do? 

I think that's what you're referring to, it's the higher register he can't hit 'normally' and uses a vocalist trick.  He did it on a few solo songs as well, like Permanenting.  Can you provided an exact time to the sections in the songs you're referring?

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stoopid said:

I think that's what you're referring to, it's the higher register he can't hit 'normally' and uses a vocalist trick.  He did it on a few solo songs as well, like Permanenting.  Can you provided an exact time to the sections in the songs you're referring?

it sounded good on permanating, the problem with his approach to it here is that his voices becomes to faint and then rasps when he does it. it's like he's going for a thom yorke approach but doesn't have the voice for it

0:50 of walk the plank

1:33 of never have

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

it sounded good on permanating, the problem with his approach to it here is that his voices becomes to faint and then rasps when he does it. it's like he's going for a thom yorke approach but doesn't have the voice for it

He's adding some 'attitude'/aggression to the falsetto.  I don't mind it, the falsetto in these examples is lightyears better than on Personal Shopper.

21 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

I thought he sounded great at 3:56 on Herd Culling

• Like 1

I've had a few weeks to listen to this while traipsing around on my vacation...  LOVE IT.  It's amusing to read reviews/blah-blah on various PT forums (reminiscent of here when there was a new Rush release...) some people think it's not PT enough; others think it's too PT. A loud minority trashing it.  Just have to LOL and enjoy it.  The way I see it, Steven wrote like 93% of all PT material, and when he went full time solo, he wrote all of his stuff and tried different things. While the band has made a very clear point that this new material was written together; it is still SW writing and singing and pretty much arranging things into a song.  So, yeah, it's going to be familiar SW and in line with his evolution as a writer.  I think the core of the songs could have been a SW solo album, sorta in the same way that the core of most of PT could have been a SW solo albums - not to dismiss the contributions of Gavin (who is absolutely slaughtering it on C/C) and Richard (who's soundscapes are top notch all over this).  As a SW fan-boy (who did not like TFB at all...), I could imagine Marco Minnemann or Craig Blundell tearing it up on these songs.  As a drummer, I can recognize Gavin's unique drumming voice (or Marco's or Craig's) - any of them could have played on this, but it was Gavin (and superbly so).  I've read that Gavin did come up with the groove in 5 on Harridan, and I'm sure he's responsible for many of the odd-time excursions on the disc (or at least for breaking SW out of the musically-bland predictability he stooped-to on TFB.) Richard's contributions (or at least what I think are his) really shine on this.  Some really nice touches that harken back to IA, LS, DW, and FoaBP. There are some sounds at the beginning of Chimera's Wreck that are similar to those used at the beginning of Arriving Somewhere Not Here.  Population 3 is a really cool instrumental (probably my fav by PT) - the mellow guitar breakdowns make me think Opeth - but the format and parts are very King Crimson.  I could imagine Steven thinking Population 3 as something like Larks Tongues Part VI.  The production is stellar; 5.1 surround mix is superb (I don't think I can listen to Atmos; need a receiver update....)  The deluxe box set is the worst PT/SW has ever produced (Bluray doesn't even have the 3 bonus tracks, which I would agree really complete the disc; photobook is my least favorite art of any PT/SW release, liner notes are sparse, no extra videos or anything. Packaging is thin, and cheap - compared to something like the Anesthetize deluxe package...) Overall, really digging it; I did splurge for a trip to see them out in LA - very much looking forward to seeing this all played live (I wonder if they'll do the 3 bonus tracks live??)

• Like 2

They've released a series of these alternate takes  "in-session" at air studios.  Here's the latest one; Harridan.  It lacks some of the touches of the album version, and adds some others (like the piano at the end?),  but very interesting to hear this alternate creation.  I wonder why they did these tracks again in the studio - just alternate takes (though I believe these were recorded several months after the album tracks were done), just for promotion, or perhaps actually re-learning the songs before rehearsals for the live show?

http://youtu.be/V9xuD9cd_Rc

(dang it; how do I get the youtube vid to preview?)

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1

Ok I've finally listened to it. I think it's pretty good but I'm underwhelmed. Maybe it's the 13 year gap that made my expectations go up, maybe it'll grow on me but it could be the weakest Porcupine Tree album out of the last eight. I'm not even sure if it's better than the last couple of Steven Wilson solo albums.